Thursday, November 21, 2019

AND THE HEAT GOES ON... & on (Part 175q)

AND THE HEAT GOES ON… & on (Part 175q)

My father had a Navy surplus spy glass for which he’d had a tripod made and, before leaving, had set it up for us to use. Trey was ‘taken’ by it and after I showed him how to adjust it he was finally settled which allowed the rest of us to visit. Elle and June got to talking but when Elle asked if she wanted to go for a swim I overheard her say she didn’t swim and was satisfied to just wade into the water and to keep an eye on Trey when he was in. I didn’t dwell on it and concentrated on trying to get more information about Trey’s affliction from Dan. We’d walked away from Trey and the spyglass and I wasn’t paying attention to him. All of a sudden Dan darted past me and over to the spyglass. Trey had decided to move it and when he tried to fold the legs of the tripod it collapsed and fell on him. As it turned out neither the boy nor spyglass was hurt but the incident triggered Dan to tell Trey it was time to go in the water. As they started down the stairs to the beach June rushed up and took control of the situation. The whole scene was a bit bizarre. It left Elle and I up on the grass watching as June took Trey by the hand and led him out into the water while Dan stopped at the water’s edge. I couldn’t tell if there was any trepidation on the part of Trey as he walked on out to be about waist deep. As I’d mentioned earlier, June was wearing an oversized T shirt and she only waded in to just above her knees. I didn’t want to interfere in a situation that I didn’t understand so just stood there with Elle,  observing… and wondering… about a lot of things that seemed a bit strange.

After a few minutes Dan returned to where Elle and I were standing on the lawn. With June and Trey out in the water I decided to ask Dan, straight away, why he hadn’t told me about Trey. He apologized and said he wasn’t supposed to come. His mother was to look after him but Trey got upset with her and then she said she didn’t want to do it. His daughter was the one who was to come along to but when it turned out Trey was going she said she didn’t want to be with him. After explaining, Dan apologized again. There wasn’t much either Elle or I could say. It was pretty awkward. It was another example of how little we really know about other peoples lives and the trials they have to go through.

By then it was a little after 11am. My parents didn’t have a hibachi and only a charcoal grill. Remembering how long it took for the coals to get hot enough to cook on I suggested that Dan give me a hand setting it up and getting the fire ready. The East side of the house had a couple of small shade trees and we got started there. Elle had excused our girls to go over to her  mother’s house so she went about getting the salads and drinks ready in the kitchen. I hadn’t yet put a match to the charcoal when we heard a scream from out on the water. From where we were standing we could see June but there was no sign of Trey. We both started running towards the beach and then I saw June holding Trey up under his arm pits. He was yelling and swinging his legs wildly, splashing the water all around. As we approached them June fell over backwards with the two of them briefly going under water. Dan got to them first and picked up Trey. He was still screaming and kicking. I helped June stand up and tried ask her what happened. She’d swallowed some water and took a few seconds to get her breath back. Dan had started towards the shore with Trey in his arms and all she wanted to know was if he was OK. We followed right behind them and when Dan put Trey down on the dock he stopped crying. June ran over to him and gave him a big hug. By then I knew both of them were OK and focused on the now soaking wet T shirt clinging to June.

I’d earlier caught a glimpse of something blue between June’s legs when she'd been sitting on the dock. Now I was able to confirm the blue that I’d seen. I still thought it was her bathing suit but the wet T shirt clinging to her bra top was white. That didn’t make much sense to me but all I could do was look. After a few minutes Trey had stopped crying and Dan was sitting next to him talking quietly. I was still curious as to what had caused Trey to panic but kept it to myself. Elle broke the ’stand-off’ by coming out to ask if everyone was ready for lunch. In the end the best I could come up with was that Trey had either been bitten by a sand crab or a blowfish even though there were no marks on his toes.

From the beach to the lawn was a five step stairs. Dan guided Trey upwards with June following right behind. I, now focusing on June’s backside, followed her but had hung back a bit. I remember seeing a couple of inches of blue on her left hip and butt cheek and this time convinced myself they might just be panties. The leg elastic wasn't finished like would normally be seen on a bathing suit. The elastic, although light blue, was more like what one would see on a pair of panties. Now the curious part of my brain started trying to come up with a reason for that being a possibility. Once on the lawn and with Trey now seated in a folding lawn chair, June methodically started pulling the wet T shirt from against her body. She was standing at an angle to me that allowed me to see her left breast and her whole left side. When she pulled the bottom of the T shirt up to let air get underneath it I became even more convinced she was wearing panties. I didn’t have much time to contemplate it as Elle had brought the hamburger patties and hot dogs out for me to begin cooking. I’ll admit I spent more time watching June than what I was cooking. At one point Elle even came up and told me to stop staring at her.

During the lunch and for a while afterwards I only got a few split second crotch peeks before Dan decided it was probably best to be on their way. I was embarrassed that our girls never returned choosing to stay with Elle’s mother.While the three of them changed their clothes in the changing rooms located just off the porch my parents returned. I’d asked my mother to stay away until after 4pm because I knew how nosy she could be and I didn’t want Dan to have to go through a ‘grilling’. But earlier, before my parents had left, my mother managed to get a few questions in with one of them being to ask Dan where he'd grown up. He told her it was in the city and then made the mistake of mentioning the name of the neighborhood. It happened to be the one my mother’s cousins grew up in and she knew it well. Her early return was deliberate so that she could play the “do you know” game. Dan politely accommodated her questions with nothing positive coming from the effort. But the delay in their leaving had agitated Trey again so June broke it off saying that they really had to be going and pushed him towards their car. As they drove away I felt really bad for all of them and hoped their experience with all of us wouldn’t turn Dan away from me.

We, of course, explained the situation with Trey to my parents. It, like for the rest of us, was a first time experience and made us feel lucky that we had three normal kids. After picking up from the cook-out we’d had for lunch we collected the girls and headed for home. Elle wanted to know what she should do with the left-overs. It was still relatively early which  gave me the idea of possibly going for an evening sail. Anne thought it was a great idea and Elle thought so too. At home she salvaged what she could of the food from lunch and added some things from our cupboard. By the time she was ready so was I with all the gear loaded into the station wagon. I thought that the sail might put a positive ending on what had turned out to be a ‘trying’ day.

To be continued…

3 comments:

Pantymaven said...

Update on my 'wonky computer'... It's a Mac and I've not had much in the way of problems with it since I bought it. I don't use the Apple store at the mall when I do have problems but go to a privately owned dealer and, over time have become friends with the owner (we have some similar interests outside the computer world). I called about my problem only to find that he and his wife are on a cruise to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. There are two guys in the shop right now but I don't know anything about either of them. Because of some of the 'sensitive' material on my unit I chose not to have them look at it right now and decided to wait until the owner gets back the weekend after Thanksgiving. I was able to sit down this afternoon and write this post at one sitting without saving anything, not something that happens all that often. I'll see if I can manage to get more out before my man returns...

oldblue said...

After reading these posts, a "a wonky computer" is a minor problem. I can't imagine life with a child handicapped, mentally or otherwise that you are going to have a lifetime of care to be responsible for. I have had some family problems, but nothing of that magnitude. When asked about my family my reply is always, healthy and not in jail, what more can you ask for? I sometimes wonder about the super-wealthy who like to donate money for things that will bear their name, when you see the physically and mentally disabled begging for money. Perhaps with a little more help there could be break throughs in prevention of these things.

Pantymaven said...

OB... I wholeheartedly agree. When each of my children were born all I asked for them was to be healthy... and they were. There are so many things that can go wrong... physically, mentally that all you can do is hope they are spared. One charity that I've supported since I discovered it many, many years ago is St Jude's. I've talked with a couple of parents who have had kids treated there so I have some validation.