Friday, September 11, 2009

MARRIED... and facing the real world (Part 47g)

Before Harry left he gave us a tour of the trailer and some advice. Then we were all alone. It was as cold inside as it was outside and I think that took away some of the excitement. I remember sitting on the couch and trying to figure out where to get the money we needed to get the basics... electricity, kerosene for heat and another thing I’d overlooked... bottled gas for cooking. Elle was cold and just sitting there fretting about the problem wasn’t going to solve it. As we headed back to the sorority Elle said she’d call her mother and ask for a loan. I knew how hard that was for Elle to even consider. The Winter was rough for her parents and they’d just written a $1000 check. But it was all we had to turn to. I left while it was still daylight with Elle promising to call when she got an answer.

The trip back to my college was filled with thoughts of what I could sell to bring in some money. I had a suitcase full of what I called “junk”, things I’d collected in lieu of money owed to me by fellow fraternity brothers and classmates back at boarding school. (I won’t go into the details of how I managed to get the stuff... say “thank you”) It included a Japanese bayonet, a Nazi flag that had been partially burned and a real Swiss army knife. Among other things I also had a fairly good collection of Dixieland Jazz on 10 inch LP’s. I decided I’d hold an auction. As I finished the trip I had most of it planned.

It was on Tuesday that I got it off. I netted almost $50. It was somewhat ironic as that night Elle called to say that her mother was wiring $100. That meant we’d have enough money to at least get into the trailer and to buy some food. The only problem was that it was Thanksgiving week and we’d decided to stay and not go home so we could get settled in and Elle’s mother wasn’t too pleased. Notwithstanding that, I think that night was the first good sleep I’d had since we got married.

I’d contacted the electric company that Monday and sent the deposit that same day. I also contacted the park owner and asked if he could arrange for some kerosene to be delivered. I also called Harry and asked if he could stop by late Wednesday afternoon to make sure I knew what I was doing as far as the heater was concerned. He laughed but said that he would be there.

I picked Elle up around 2pm. She’d packed most of her clothes which concerned her roommate. Up to that time neither of us had told anyone. Elle wanted to wait until after Thanksgiving to make the announcement. We arrived at the trailer to find Harry and Vi waiting. We walked in and found the trailer to be nice and warm. Harry had brought a barrel partially filled with kerosene along with a stand for it and had started the heater. I offered to pay but he said that they had been left behind at his park when a unit moved out. But the surprises didn’t stop there. Vi took Elle to the main bedroom and there was the bed, all made up with sheets, pillows and bedspread. She told her it was their wedding gift to us. A few minutes later she invited us to their house for Thanksgiving dinner. I couldn’t believe all this good fortune in just such a short period of time. I really didn’t know what to say.

Vi told us to be at their house at noon and then she and Harry left. Finally alone in our own “home” but it wasn’t for long as there was knock on the door. I opened it to see a very tall, black haired man and a very short young woman standing there. They introduced themselves as Josh and Beth, our next door neighbors. We invited them in but I was concerned about the time. It was Thanksgiving eve and way back then there was no such thing as extended hours. We had no food in the place at all. With that as my main concern I asked them where the nearest food market was located. Josh laughed and accused me of “spying” on him. I was lost as to what he meant. He then told us that he worked as a security person at a relatively new “supermarket” just a mile or so away on the new by-pass. I told him of our needs and he volunteered to take us there. I said it wasn’t necessary but he insisted. All four of us went. We needed all the staples... milk, bread, eggs, cereal, mayonaise and lots of tuna fish. When we were ready to leave Josh took the basket from me and pushed it towards the check out counter. I protested and all he said was he’d take care of it. I couldn’t believe it. But my amazement was short lived for when we got to the car he asked for the money he’d just paid. He then explained that as an employee he got a discount. Then the whole episode made sense.

Back at the trailer Beth told Elle that if we’d forgotten anything to be sure to come next door. I’m laughing because, just to show our naivety, we hadn’t thought about bowls, plates, glasses and eating utensils (among a whole lot of other things). By the time we finally ate Elle or I had made at least three visits to borrow things from them.

It had been quite a day! The only thing we had to do before going to bed was to put the rubber pad on it. I remember having wonderful thoughts about Harry and Vi as we did. I know I don’t have to go into detail as to what followed. :-)

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

Sounds like a lot of people were looking out for you two, very nice of them.