Monday, December 20, 2010

A BUMP(us) IN THE ROAD... a pothole? (Part 66a)

There was no way to avoid having to tell my grandfather about the sale of the car. I tried to get out of taking him to the hospital to see my grandmother on Sunday. The best way to describe his reaction was disappointment. Of course I made the mistake of leading with all the reasons why I’d done it. He acknowledged them but said I owed him the courtesy of telling him my plans beforehand. The guilt I’d felt since I’d sold the car just reinforced the fact that he was right. A lesson learned. However, I still had to face Elle on the ‘55 Chevy.

Our neighbors, Tom and Lola, had wanted to have us over for a “thank you dinner” ever since the fire at their trailer. We agreed on that Sunday night. So as to have some time to ourselves we arranged for the teen sisters from up the street to baby sit all the kids at our trailer. By having both girls there it would make it easier to keep the boys happy with one and the girls happy with the other. We had a pleasant evening and kept my mind occupied and off the car and telling Elle about it. When we went back to the trailer the heavy sister was sitting on the sofa reading to the boys and the other girl was sitting on the floor playing a game with my oldest. As I walked in I got a very good DP (down pants) and what made it especially interesting was that it was clear that she was wearing two panties... two distinct waist elastics. It was somewhat stimulating to say the least.

I don’t know if the success of getting the payroll done dulled my senses as far as Nina was concerned but I certainly wasn’t expecting to be shepherded into the controller’s office upon my arrival on Monday. The comptroller was behind his desk and directed me to take a seat. A few minutes later Jay walked in and was also told to take a seat. Next to arrive was Irwin who had been out most of the previous week due to problems with his leg. I had no idea what was going on until Nina showed up, about ten minutes after nine. The controller expressed thanks to Jay and I for the successful run of the county payroll and then dropped the “bomb”. Nina was to run the current week’s Police payroll. I was told that my roll was to be a "guide" for Nina and that under no circumstances was I to touch any punch cards or to operate any of the peripheral machinery or the computer. It was like I’d been punched in the gut. I looked at Jay and Irwin and their faces were expressionless. I know mine wasn’t. I couldn’t believe that my reward for getting the job done and done well was to be removed from it. I remember looking over at Nina’s face and seeing a slight smile. I wanted, so badly, to go over and smack it.

With Thanksgiving coming on Thursday it meant one less day to get the job done. In fact, it meant the checks, ideally, should be to the Treasurer’s office at noon on Wednesday. Planning ahead, all changes were cut off as of Thursday of the previous week so that the keypunchers could start first thing on Monday. It had been hoped, due to the lesser number of people in the County Police payroll, they would be finished and turn their work over to me (now Nina) around noon. My mind was doing all sorts of time calculations. Figuring in the fact that Nina was habitually late, left early, and took excessively long breaks during the day I felt that it was neigh unto impossible for the checks to be done on time. On top of that she had stated, publically, that she would not work after 5pm unless she was paid. But no one in the room was allowed to speak. It was a direct order from the Controller. He then told Irwin to gather everybody, including all the Auditors who were out on assignment around the county, together in the work area for an important meeting at 2pm.

Irwin, Jay and I were excused at that point and as soon as we reached the hall I exploded. Irwin let me rant for a brief minute and then calmly put his hand on my shoulder and told me to let it play out on it’s own. I didn’t know what he meant but I did shut up. Jay just stood passively by. As Jay and I walked into the computer room I remember shaking my head. It just made so sense at all. None.

Nina arrived in the computer room a few minutes later and when I saw her it was hard not to say something negative to her but I managed to hold my tongue. My god, was she ever slow!. Plus, she was constantly blabbing to the keypunchers about absolutely nothing. I tried to be a civil as I could when I reminded her that we were working on a time sensitive project but she pretty much ignored me. She took a 20 minute break and was late back from lunch. I couldn’t understand how she could get away with it. I was a very unhappy camper.

A little before 2pm Irwin gathered us all behind the useless counter that was in the front of the work area. It was the first time that I’d seen all the Auditors in the office at the same time. Of course there was all kinds of speculation as to what the meeting was about. The optimistic ones were touting a raise and the pessimistic ones were thinking that the workday was going to be extended. At 2pm, on the button, the Controller walked in followed by this tall, funny looking man. I’m talking about being really funny looking. You’ve seen pictures of people who’s eyes bug out of their head when surprised or scared. This man’s eyes bugged out just standing there. Picture Obama’s ears. His were similar. You know how most people’s heads are curved in the back. His wasn’t. It was a continuation of his neck... almost perfectly straight except that, from the shoulders up, his neck and head leaned forward at about a 20 degree angle while just standing there. On top of all that his hair was slicked down to the top of his head. The Controller introduced him as Leo Bumpus, the new Deputy Controller. I don’t know how I suppressed a laugh. His looks and then the name were almost too much to comprehend.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Nina is hanging herself with her own rope.

-Badside