Friday, December 03, 2010

THE NEXT PHASE... positive signs (Part 64g)

I got Jay to drive me home that night. Elle was in a much better mood but still not that happy with me. I’d neglected to take extra diapers and clothes for the baby when I took her to Alice’s trailer. There was nothing I could say so I asked about her day. That quickly changed her mood. All in all it had been a good day for her. She ended up thanking me for reminding her to take extra ”supplies“ as she had a couple of extended periods of time where she didn’t have access to a bathroom. I wanted to tell her about my day but let it go.

For me, the big thing on Friday was to refine my skills on the printer. My prayers were answered when Nina didn’t show up again. Jay had set the ”tabs“ for me when I ran the payroll journal as well as the check run. It was a very tricky machine to set up and just one ”tab“ out of place could ruin the whole run. By the end of the day I felt somewhat comfortable with it. I felt I was ready for ”the big one“, the next week's payroll.

On Saturday I had to make a run to the cement block factory for the trailer park. On my way I noticed a 1957 Chevy station wagon in the used car lot of the Buick dealer across the street from the park. I slowed but didn’t stop. While waiting for the blocks I got the seed of an idea. Maybe if I sold the convertible and bought a used station wagon I’d have enough money left over to buy a second car. The wagon would be perfect for Elle and the kids and I wouldn’t need much of a car to get to work and back. By the time I got to the park I was hooked on the idea. The first chance I got I headed over to the used car lot. They were asking $899. They also had a 1958 Buick convertible in the lot and even though it wasn’t the same year or model as mine I got the price off the window and started calculating what mine would be worth. I have to admit my mind wasn’t really on my work the rest of the day. At lunch I scratched out some numbers and based on the prices I’d seen and what those cars cost new I figured my car might be worth $1700 or maybe a little more. I knew enough about the car business from my grandfather to know that I wouldn’t get anywhere near as much as it was worth if I’d tried to trade down to buy the station wagon. That meant I’d have to sell it on my own.

Before Ben left that night I asked if he would allow me to park the car out along the road with a ”For Sale“ sign on it. He wasn’t all that positive about the idea but I lied and told him that if I did sell it it would mean that I could order the new trailer sooner. That did it. I came right home and told Elle what my plan was. I can’t say she was all for it but she didn’t say it was stupid. After supper I went and cleaned out all the stuff we had in the car and vacuumed it as best I could. I made up a sign and couldn’t wait until the morning. The only thing I wasn’t looking forward to was telling my grandfather.

Sunday was my day for taking my grandfather to the hospital to see my grandmother. He’d usually be waiting on the back porch for me. I waited for about five minutes before going into the house. I found him sitting in my grandmother’s favorite rocking chair in the bay window looking at the garden. I'd never seen him sit in her chair. He didn’t hear me when I walked in and called his name. That told me something was wrong.

He’d just received a call that one of his closest friends had died. He said he just wasn’t up to a trip to the hospital right then but still wanted me to go. It was really sad. I knew it certainly wasn’t the day to tell him I was going to sell the car. By then my grandmother was really nothing more than a ”vegetable“, not responding to any verbal commands. I knew she wouldn’t know if I went or not but knew I should anyway. As I was leaving, my grandfather gave me his Polaroid camera telling me to take pictures of the kids for my grandmother. I took it but decided I wasn’t going back home right then. I figured I’d take some pictures during the week and give them to him the following Sunday. At least he’d appreciate them.

On returning home I ended up parking the car out by the entrance sign for the park and walking to the trailer. As I walked past Mac’s trailer he stuck his head out his door and asked if everything was OK. I told him my plan to sell the car. He said one of the airmen in his crew at the airbase was trying to sell his car. I told him about the station wagon and let it go at that. Back at the trailer Elle and I discussed the options we had and she said she wanted to go over and see the station wagon. We bundled the kids up and walked over to the car lot. She didn’t like the color, black, but quickly noticed that it wasn’t as long as the convertible. That had always been one of her complaints along with that she couldn’t see what was behind her with the ”blind spot“ created by the convertible top itself. The station wagon had glass all around. All in all she was pleased and I could tell she was getting excited about it as we walked back home.

Elle had neglected to put on a "package" before we left and by the time we got back to the trailer she was wet. The kids were ready for their nap and we put them to bed before she went to wash up. I convinced her to wait and led her into the bedroom. We’d had more negative moments than positive ones since I started the County job and this seemed to be a good time for some enjoyment. She didn’t resist as I slid her trousers down and unbuttoned her sweater. I stripped off my clothes and then pulled her down on top of me with my penis firmly ensconced buy her upper thighs and wet panties. I undid her bra and then rolled with her onto our sides. We ”snuggled“ like that for a few minutes before the phone rang. Timing is everything in life and in my mind that certainly wasn’t the time for the phone. I wanted to let it ring but Elle insisted that I answer it so as to not wake the kids. I remember walking across the living room, stark naked, with the curtains open and standing by the table answering the phone.

It was a guy with a southern drawl and he asked if I was the owner of the blue convertible that was for sale. I said I was and his next question caught me by surprise. He wanted to know if the price on the sign was correct. I said it was and then he sort of demanded to know what was wrong with the car. As far as I knew there wasn’t anything wrong and wondered why he would ask such a question, especially with an ”edge“ on his voice. I really didn’t like the tone he was using and was about to hang up on him when he said he wanted to do a test drive. That told me he was interested and I asked where he was. He said he was at the diner located in the middle of town. He said he could be at the car in five minutes. I looked down at my naked groin (and now normal sized penis) and told him ”ten minutes“.

To be continued...

No comments: