Sunday, March 04, 2018

BACK TO REALITY... Same ole, same ole, (Part 165n)

BACK TO REALITY… Same ole, same ole (Part 165n)

When finished I turned her over to Trish to get all her paperwork done and then to introduce her to the others. I don’t remember how long it was before Lorie was at my desk and I could see she was upset. The words she spat out came out like bullets… “Why wasn’t I a part of the interviewing process?” I think I sat there and blinked a few times before attempting to speak. The truth of the matter was I’d not given any thought to include her. This was the first teller hired since Lorie had been promoted to chief clerk. Right from the time I’d started with the bank I’d been the one to do the interviewing and actual hiring of the tellers. I hadn’t deliberately ignored her and it took me a few minutes to convince her. I told her to wait at my desk and caught up with Trish and Woody. I led them back and introduced Woody to Lorie and  explained to Woody that I’d neglected to have Lorie, who was to be her supervisor, be a part of her interview… and apologized to both of them. Not a very good start. However, the day got better.

I spent some time with Lorie as Trish resumed introducing Woody to the tellers. It was my thought to having Peggy, who was the drive-up teller, train Woody as that was the position she’d be filling. I didn’t get a positive response but also didn’t get any real opposition. Things had been going very well between Lorie and I and I remember hoping that this incident wouldn’t change it. Normally it would’ve been my job to explain what Peggy was to do in training Woody but I had to stay back and watch Lorie do it. As I did I really wanted to have a chat with Peggy but didn’t. I waited until Lorie took her lunch break and then went back to the drive-up area. Even though I’d only spent a short time with Woody I can honestly say I wasn’t surprised to see that she and Peggy were working well together. Peggy had matured a great deal since her hire and, over time, had come out of her ‘shell’ and was now exhibiting an outgoing personality. She and Woody were the same age but came from two different backgrounds. I guess ‘protected’ would be an appropriate description for Woody. Peggy, on the other hand, married at eighteen and a mother and widowed at nineteen, had lived a fairly tough life. I’d known her since she was sixteen and had watched her go from a carefree teen to a woman in just a short period of time. I was a bit  concerned about that difference but in observing the two of them working together was pleased.

The was another Sandra that I had some concerns about… the one that was now working under J J’s supervision. Lena, the president’s secretary was talking with Joanie about something and when she was finished I called her over. I asked how she thought the lady was doing filling in for Lynn and I got a sort of smile as an answer. I ‘pushed’ her on it and sort of got an answer. She professed not to know but, got an unsolicited comment. She told me that Bert had made it clear to J J that he was “to go through channels” when it came to any personnel moves. Hearing that was certainly good news but what was of concern to me was just what were the “channels”.

I’m not sure exactly which day it was when Trish came up to my desk and if she could talk with me. That was totally unlike Trish. Her normal way was to just walk up and unload what was on her mind. I sort of held my breath as I pointed to the side chair. I fully expected for her to tell me what was on her mind but… she hesitated and made a couple of false starts before finally getting it out. She asked if I’d noticed that Woody seemed to be wearing the same clothes since she’d started. In a way it was a strange question coming from Trish. But as you readers know, I was always looking for VPL’s, and given the chance, upskirt peeks. However, I’d not taken much notice of what Woody wore, more because she, working at the drive-up, was out of my line of sight. So, I told Trish that I hadn’t. She then went on to know if she should ask her about it. I wasn’t expecting a question like that so told her I’d like to think about it and would get back to her.

As she walked away I couldn’t help but think about how Trish and I had helped both Laura and Joanie out right after they started work. But, Laura was related to Trish so that wasn’t too awkward. However, in this case Woody was a complete stranger and how to broach the subject would be difficult. Time and time again things happen in our lives that can’t really be explained. I’d not come up with a solution to Trish’s comment by the end of the day but as the tellers were leaving I saw Peggy approach. I’d wanted to ask her how things were going but without Woody (or Lorie) around and this was the chance. I never got a word out of my mouth because she proceeded to ask when Woody would get paid. It was a strange question because she knew that we got paid every two weeks. But… and this is what was confusing, the bank paid one week in arrears. That meant, in Woody’s case, she wouldn’t get paid on Friday like all the rest of the employees. Peggy couldn’t explain why and Woody didn’t want to “make a fuss”. While explaining the situation to Peggy I saw a way to take up Trish’s question.

I summoned up the courage to ask Peggy the question Trish had asked me. She was a bit taken aback but quickly said that it was pretty much the case. She went on to tell me that she’d only brought enough clothes for a week and other than her “travel clothes” (the skirt and blouse she’d been wearing) they’d all been casual… shorts, tank tops and the like… and not enough money to buy clothes. She’d not planned on staying but had been egged on by the friend she’d come to visit to stay and to get a job… and she had. So excited about landing the job she hadn’t concentrated on just when it was that she’d get her first pay. After listening to Peggy (there was more but I’ve spared you) had the seeds of a plan. I know I was being a bit bold but asked if she had some old clothes Woody could borrow and she said she’d offered but had been turned down. Then I asked about borrowing clothes from her friend and/or her friend’s mother. She laughed and then said Woody had told her there was no way she could fit in them. That was why she wanted to know when she’d be paid.

By the time I finished up with Peggy it was well after 5pm. Trish lived but minutes away so I tried calling her and got lucky. I filled her in about Woody and her situation and told her I was willing to do the same thing as we’d done with Laura. I could hear the change in her voice when she said we’d work on it in the morning. Hanging up the phone I couldn’t believe I was involved in yet another situation that concerned clothes.

To be continued…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL, deja-vu!

Bad