Sunday, November 25, 2018

"SPRING"ING AHEAD... Better days? (Part 170s)

“SPRING”ING AHEAD… Better days? (Part 170s)

There was no doubt that Elle knew what I’d been looking at. She didn’t say anything but the look on her face said it all. The girls were thrilled to see Paula again and started in trying to persuade her to play a game with them. She tried to wiggle her way out of it but as I was standing there I saw Elle’s mother drive up the driveway. When she got out of her car she retrieved a pot from the passenger side and as she was walking up to the door Elle announced that lunch was here. It was as if her saying it triggered the noon siren at the fire house. As Elle headed to greet her mother she called over her shoulder to Paula, almost ordering her to stay for lunch. As Paula protested Elle countered by saying that her mother’s chicken soup was “to die for”. The kids mobbed her pleading for her to stay… and she finally gave in.

After the basic introductions were over we sat down to eat, that’s when the ‘interrogation’ began. Elle’s mother was never shy about asking for information about people and by the time we’d finished I knew Paula’s family history. As I’d previously written, Paula was Italian. Her father had been born in the city and had volunteered for WWII when still a teen. He ended up stationed in Italy for a while where he met Paula’s mother. When he was shipped back to the US when the war was over he promised that he’d come back to get her. He did and they got married. Paula was the product of the union. During the war he was a tank mechanic but back here there were no tanks so he became a heavy equipment mechanic and went to work for the city. Paula told us his proudest moment was when she graduated from college. She’d been inspired to be a teacher by one she’d had right after she’d started school. Not satisfied with all of that, Elle’s mother wanted to know where she was going to live almost frightening her when she told her rentals were hard to come by because of the area being a Summertime destination. That’s when Paula’s disposition changed. Clearly concerned, she explained about having rented a room and then having the lady change her mind on her at the last minute. She went on that she’d been given a list of possible places to stay and that one was the last on the list. She told us her father had told her to rent a motel room if necessary. The talk of looking for a room triggered her to get up to leave. I can honestly say that both Elle and I were ‘floored’ when Elle’s mother offered to let her stay with her.

When Elle and her brother were living at home her mother rented rooms to help pay the bills. Once Elle was married and her brother was in the Army the expenses went way down. She swore she’d never do that again and here she was, offering a room to a girl she’d just met. Elle and I glanced at each other not sure what to expect next. Neither of us had asked, nor had been told, what the cost of the room that Paula thought she'd get would be so when Elle’s mother threw out the figure of $25 a week I didn’t have a reaction to it. But the next surprise was that figure included doing Paula’s wash and for $1 a day more she’d provide her breakfast. I should’ve been looking at Paula for her reaction but the words coming from Elle’s mother were so unexpected that I was totally focused on her.

It wasn’t long before Elle, her mother and Paula were off to take a look at the room Elle's mother offered. I was relegated to watching the kids. I was still almost stunned by the offer because I thought I knew her mother pretty well. Letting a stranger move in was unbelievable and I was having a hard time trying to fathom it. It wasn’t that the woman was unfriendly because she was anything but. However, she was a very private person and I’d heard her tell stories of not being able to sleep when she had “roomers” staying there. I’d been impressed with Paula but I’d spent a lot more time with her than Elle’s mother had. I knew it wasn’t a matter of needing the money although ‘extra’ is always nice. I just couldn’t come up with the reason(s) for her decision. They were gone for a couple of hours and upon their return Paula headed out telling us she’d be back the following weekend to get settled in. I couldn’t wait to hear what Elle had learned and if she had any idea why her mother had turned so benevolent towards a stranger. Elle’s thoughts seemed to mirror mine. She certainly knew her mother better than I did and yet she could offer no insight whatsoever. We could only wait to see how it would work out.

On a much different subject, Elle and Paula had somehow managed to get on the subject of Kaye’s impending birthday and Elle’s dilemma about having a party. Paula, having grown up in the city with both parents working often had to go without a party. But, to ease the ‘hurt’ of it her parents would take her to the circus. As soon as I heard that I knew just where the conversation was going. The Ringling Brothers circus always came to the city around Easter and so did my birthday. The year my mother’s mother was so sick and I went to live with my father’s parents there was no way to have a party for me. I’d become friends with the girl who lived next door and between my parents and her mother they managed to get tickets for the circus and in lieu of a party we went there. (I do remember the one negative thing was not having cake and ice cream.) My mind went into ‘overdrive’ right after that and immediately thought of my new banking friend, Dan, who had all kind of ‘contacts’ in the city. I told Elle of my idea and she immediately asked just who it would be to take Kaye. I didn’t hesitate for a second and told her she would. Before she could start to complain I told her to pick one little girl that Kaye knew and got along with and then to ask her mother to go with her. The suggestion was not immediately accepted but I got her to, grudgingly, think about it. I’d suggested Ginger even though she had two kids who were not yet in school.  She’d been working part time and had found someone to watch the kids so it wasn’t all that far fetched. Plus the fact that she’d lived in the city when she was first married and knew her way around.

I mentioned that Easter and my birthday were usually close together and this year, just to make things a bit complicated, they were but a day apart. And, if they were going to be able to do it it would have to be before Easter. Since I was the one to come up with the idea I was left to work it out… on top of everything else. Thinking of Easter was a reminder that I’d volunteered at the last Vestry meeting to attach the candle holders to each of the pews for the big Easter service. It was getting to the point that my life was not my own… with meetings here, there, everywhere. I was about to fall asleep in my reclining chair when the phone rang. I let it ring hoping Elle would pick it up. When she finally did she yelled that it was Bret. Bret and I had a pact not to call each other at home unless it was a real emergency and the way things had been going I immediately conjured up some disaster at the bank. With ‘baited breath’ I took the receiver from Elle and said “Hello…”. “They got him!” was what I heard. I knew what he was referring to… Ruthe’s husband. We didn’t talk for long but it was long enough for me to know the SOB was in jail. I don’t know why but I felt relieved.

To be continued...

No comments: