Wednesday, May 09, 2007

SUMMER... The early weeks (Part 23)

PROLOGUE:
Like the last part of the Spring while at school, I really don’t have a timeline of events to write about. I kept no notes and, if Elle and I wrote, I have no idea where the letters are buried. Pictures, which I have been using to jog my memory, are non existent. It’s not that I don’t recall anything... it’s that I don’t remember very much or the order in which it happened. That means that some of this part will seem disjointed. It is what it is!
===========================

One thing, for sure, is that Elle and I couldn’t wait to get home. We hadn’t seen our homes and parents since Christmas. In Elle’s case it was a bit of homesickness. Going off to college was the first time she’d really ever been away. I had the two years at boarding school, so that wasn’t a problem for me. What I was looking forward to was home cooking, my own bed and being able to see Elle every day. There were other reasons too... the opportunity to make some money certainly headed that list. The race car, my sailboat, and being able to see my Grandfather’s race horses were close behind.

Elle got home a few days before I did. I couldn’t come up with a quick and easy way to get home after final exams and ended up going to my roommate Bob’s house and my father then picked me up there. One thing I do remember from that night at Bob's was that his girlfriend, Susan, had an incredible looking younger sister. I also remember getting a quick DP (downpants) from her as well. In any case, upon arriving at home I was greeted by three pair of pastel panties hanging on our washline... and nothing else. I KNEW they weren’t my mother’s as she wore some kind of girdle. I almost gave myself away when I started to ask my father who they belonged to... but I managed to cover my gaffe. I was soon to find out that they belonged to one of the Grandchildren of the people who owned the house next door. The girl, Maggie, whose family lived in the deep South, had attended college in Boston. She had a job at home for the Summer and wouldn’t be able to spend time with her grandparents but still wanted to see (and spend time at) the water. My Mother had seen the girl standing in front of her Grandparents house (It was a Summer bungalow and hadn’t been opened for the season) looking wistfully at the water. She ended up going out to talk with her and ended up inviting her to stay for a few days. That was OK by me. Even though I only saw her for a week of two each Summer and wasn’t particularly pretty, she was a “fun person” and had always been able to blend in with the regular Summer kids. She’d also “blossomed” in a number of ways and seeing those panties was certainly a turn on.

After unloading my things from the car I went looking for Elle. She and Maggie were sitting in her back yard, talking. When I pulled up a lawn chair I picked a spot where I could get a good view of the washline. Elle must’ve saved up a lot because all the lines were full. On the line that I was facing there were at least a dozen pair of panties, mostly the Carter’s cotton ones. Even though I knew all about them I had a hard time keeping my eyes off them. One thing that was clearly evident was the yellowish tinge in the crotch of all of them. Seeing them, and knowing why they were like that, got me started on a soft, but uncomfortable, bulge.

Our area was a Summer destination. Population would grow four fold from Winter to Summer. The influx came after the local schools let out for the Summer. Since it was early June, none of the Summer regulars were there yet so we pretty much had to entertain ourselves. My mother invited Elle to dinner to eat with Maggie and me and I remember sitting on the floor of the front porch playing some sort of card game. Maggie, being a proper Southern girl, had changed into a dress for dinner and, during the game, gave me some interesting peeks. The unfortunate part about Maggie being there was that I never really got to see Elle alone but for a few minutes when I walked her home. Fortunately, Maggie left the next day. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to inspect the panties that I’d seen on the line.

As I said, our area was Summer destination. Summer help usually didn’t start work until the last week of June. Elle’s mother, who also worked at the drug store, gave up some of her hours to get Elle back in the swing of things as well as to earn some spending money. I was headed back to the gas station with what I hoped would be a very lucrative job. Cliff, the owner (and also driver of my racecar), had sold the property to the oil company that sold him the gasoline. The deal was predicated on the company building a three bay garage with an office and modern rest rooms that they would lease back to him. One of the three bays was to house a car wash and I was to “manage” that part for him. On top of my salary I was to get a commission on each car washed. I was really excited... until I got home. There had been a delay in construction and the only thing that Cliff was able to do was to pump gas. I wasn’t needed... yet.

So, here I was, faced with owing my Grandfather for the “loans” he’d made to me during the school year, and no income. That also put a crimp in just about everything I wanted to do. As much as I detested it I ended up working for my Father doing maintenance on and around the house and dock. My Father treated me just like an employee. I had to be ready to work at 8am; got a half hour for lunch and worked until 5pm. After just one day I realized how easy I’d had it when working at the market and at the gas station. I remember being incredibly thankful when Sunday finally arrived.

There just wasn’t enough time to do everything I wanted to do. My Grandfather’s horses were racing at one of the tracks just outside the city and I wanted to see them in actual races. There was the racecar to work on and, of course, Elle. I managed to, at least, eat lunch with her each day but time at night was at a premium. To see the horse races my Father and Grandfather would leave around 5:30 to 6pm and we usually didn’t get back until around midnight. Leaving at that time barely gave me a chance to shower and eat. Because the gas station was still under construction, we had to work on the racecar at one of the crew member’s homes. For a while I had a problem with my car so had to rely on rides to and from the guy’s house and was at the whim of the driver. So, in spite of wanting to be home so I could be with Elle, it wasn’t working out as I’d hoped.

Now, that’s not to say we didn’t get any quality time together but it was always under less than optimum conditions... like her front porch or on the beach if it was warm enough out at night. Not having a car really sucked! There’s nothing much in my memory bank for these few weeks that’s worth writing about so I’ll just move on...

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

Ah, the complexities of growing up. So much to do and not enough time to do it all!