Sunday, November 18, 2007

SEPTEMBER... On into the Fall... (Part 27d)

I walked into a discussion of the situation we found ourselves in by living in this house. The landlord, A German professor and his wife, had a list of rules that was onerous plus the fact that the bathroom didn’t have a shower. The conversation was on the latter. The three of us had to share it with the landlords 16 year old daughter, Julia. After a week it was obvious that she was what John called a ”bathroom hog“. A short trip for her was at least 20 minutes and when she took a bath it was over an hour. The daily problem was in the morning where we all (4) had to be out of the house by 7:30am. In her mind it was her house so she deserved to have a priority when it came to use of the bathroom. We decided to confront her mother to see what could be done. The meeting didn’t accomplish much other that that Julia would be told that her time in the morning would be the same every day and that she had (I think) 15 minutes to be in and out. It wasn’t much but it was something.

As expected I was the target of much abuse by the "brothers" for the whole week. The worst and, as it turned out, best part of the week was that I got called to the Administration building. I was supposed to have turned in the plates to my car and hadn’t. They were following up on it and I, ever the honest one, admitted that the car hadn’t been returned to my home. I was told to get the plates to them that day which, based upon my schedule, was a real hardship. Walking to the farm was around a half hour and I only had a little over an hour of free time. I jogged out and saved some time but once there found I didn’t have a screw driver to unscrew the plates. I went to the house and was greeted by Joanne. That was the good part. She found me what I needed and, much to my surprise, followed me out to the car. As much as I would have liked to pay attention to her I knew I had to get the plates off and back to campus. The rear plate was on the trunk of the car and after removing it I went to the front with Joanne following me. I had to squat down to get to the plate off the bumper and as I did Joanne did the same. I was surprised by that and looked right at her. As I did I got a straight line view right up her skirt. Oh my heart! I was the one who was embarrassed and quickly looked back at the plate. I only had a few seconds peek but I can still envision it. Once I was done I gave Joanne the screwdriver and took off with the plates. The jog back was much easier as I had the visage of those panties on my mind.

I survived the hazing for the rest of the week and, with the help of my ”big brother“, was excused from the weekend pledge activities so I could take the car home. I was originally going to drive home on Friday night but had to stay through the dinner meal. I didn’t want to drive through the city in the middle of the night for fear of breaking down so stopped at a motel just outside the city limits. I arrived home around noon time and my father had me put the boat away for the winter before doing anything else. His original plan was to drive me back on Saturday but, by the time I finished he felt it was too late. That was fine by me as I’d been thinking about the possibility of checking out the purchase of the same kind of panties that Penny and Pam wore. Since I now knew the source I began to figure how long it would take to get there and back and felt that I could make it in time for supper.

It was normally a 45 minute trip. Concerned about the possibility of the car overheating, I took my time. Even though I had recognized the name of the department store from having gone there with my Grandmother when I was much younger I was surprised what I found. It certainly wasn’t like the multi storied department stores in the city or even in the town where my Grandparents lived. It was all one floor and took up most of one side of the main street. (I subsequently found out that it had started out as a general store and as it grew the owners just kept buying up adjacent stores.) I walked in the main entrance and quickly found the lingerie department. There was a matronly woman behind the counter who, when I asked about Nazareth panties, gave me one of ”those“ looks that asked the question of why was I, a male teenager, asking to buy girls panties. I think this was the most embarrassed I’d ever been when doing this. The only specific thing I really remember is that she emphatically told me that the panties I was requesting were found in the children’s department... and then leading me over to it. Once there I felt like everyone in the area was looking at me. I remember the lady asking me what size I wanted. I knew I’d gotten both size 14 and 16 with Elle when we’d gotten the Carter’s Spanky Pants so I told her size 14. When she pulled the box off the shelf and then pulled a pair out I immediately knew they weren’t the panties I wanted. They had a regular type elastic around the waist and I thought she’d made a mistake. The ones I was looking for had a ”puckered” type waist elastic. That and they looked huge! Or, at least in my nervous state of mind, they appeared to be. The lady’s constant ”look“ had me totally flustered. Right about then I was ready to just turn around and leave. I wanted to buy at least six pair and I was so close but the clerk had me feeling so guilty I was reluctant to open my mouth. Just about then another woman walked up and said she’d take over. I was immenseley relieved. I assumed that she was the regular clerk for the department. The first lady gave me one last ”look“ and walked away. The new lady asked just what it was that I wanted so I described the panties I was looking for. She put the cover back on the box that was on the counter and then pulled another one off the shelf. When she held a pair up I knew I’d hit ”paydirt“. But, like the first one’s, they looked huge. There were only two in the box and I told her I’d take them. The new woman started writing the ticket up and then asked if that was all I needed. I’m sure I took a deep breath before I asked if I could see the size 12’s. She, without giving me a ”look“, reached behind her and pulled another box down. I could see that the box was full so I asked for six pair. I remember that the total for all eight pair was less than $5.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

I've been there in the store full of nervousness many times too! I know that feeling exactly!