Wednesday, July 14, 2010

ANOTHER DOSE OF REALITY... getting better (Part 58d)

It was Wednesday morning and I had to be at the city track on Friday. My first thought was that I could be with Elle and the kids that night and all the next day if I left right away. I was really excited with that thought. There weren’t any people I really wanted to say “good bye“ to so headed for the junk yard to get the little trailer. Feeling somewhat ”flush“ with money I found the owner and tried to offer him some money for being so nice to me. He wouldn’t take it and wished me luck. I knew that if I was ever back in this part of the country I’d look him up.

It wasn’t until I had been on the road for an hour or so when it dawned on me that my house trailer was still at Dan's farm and would soon have to be moved. Luckily, the route home would bring me fairly close so headed there to pack it up for a move. I hadn't been inside for more than a few minutes when Dan's wife, Jeanne, appeared in the doorway. I quickly brought her up to date on my plans and explained that I'd get the trailer moved as soon as I got settled. She told me not to worry about it and that she'd look after it until it did get moved. She was so nice and as she walked away I wondered how she and Dan ever got connected. As I went about storing things for the move it came to me that both Elle and I would need clothes for the coming warmer weather. I didn't have any boxes so just made piles of them in the little trailer. When I was in Elle's panty drawer it reminded me that I was about 30 miles from the town where I'd purchased the Plymouth panties made with the Narcissa nylon satin tricot. I decided to try and get away from the farm in time to make it to the store before they closed. As I closed the door to the trailer Jeanne came up to me and gave me a hug. After letting me go she held me at arms length and said that she was really going to miss Elle and the girls. She'd always wanted a girl of her own and she, in her mind, had "adopted' my girls. The last thing I heard was that she was actually surprised that I'd lasted a full six months with Dan. She did have a smile on her face when she said it.

As I drove towards the town with the desired panties I realized that I'd just done the same thing in saying "yes" to Mr S that I’d done when I’d agreed to work for Dan. I didn’t ask even one soul about him. I knew nothing more than what he’d told me and that wasn’t much. I began to worry but it wasn’t for long as I knew that it was too late for that. I just had to go on and to do the best I could. I rationalized that it couldn’t be all bad what with making more money than ever before as well as achieving my goal of racing in the city.

The store was still open when I arrived. I think I startled the lady behind the counter when I walked up and asked for all the size 5 Plymouth panties she had that were made with the Narcissa nylon fabric. I was a bit disappointed that all she had was five pair. I paid for them and was back on the road in a very short time. The side trip only added about 45 minutes. With the panties in a bag on the seat beside me I was "pumped". I knew I wouldn't have any trouble staying awake for the rest of the trip as I pictured Elle wearing the panties and me "playing" with her while wearing them.

I waited until I was about two hours away from home before calling. Elle was awake and was ecstatic hearing the news that I would be located at one of the city tracks and be only an hour and a half away. However, since she was at her parents home and their bedroom was right next to hers, there wasn't any chnace for us to "play. I just kept the panties aside for a better time.

Her parents and mine combined to hold a bit of a welcome home party the next night to celebrate. I needed it by then because I had a hard time when I went to visit my grandparents, especially my grandfather. I had the check for the horse and the cash for the equipment for him but he wasn’t interested in them. The reality that he no longer owned any horses was hard for him to accept. Both he and my grandmother had failed a lot in just the past year and I wondered just how long they’d be around. It had only been a few days since he’d mailed his driver’s license back to the MVA with a letter saying he felt he was no longer fit to drive a car. He was 88 years old and was one of the first people in the country to have a license to drive a "horseless carriage". I had tears in my eyes.

On Friday I left for the track at 5am, not knowing when the horses would arrive. It was a bit too early so I had to just wait around. I’d forgotten that I had to get a state license and that was bit of a hassle. I had a typical ”city person“ wait on me and she had the patience of a firecracker with a short fuse. Finally armed with my temporary license I camped out at the barn area gate and struck up a conversation with the guard on duty. His name was Norm and because he was rather large he reminded me of Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum. He was very jovial and I found out that one of his brothers raced cars at a local track. When I asked his name I recognized it from having read the newspapers when I still owned a race car. We had a ”bond“ right from the beginning as we exchanged ”do you know’s”.

It was Norm who alerted me to the first delivery. It was Super Steve. After he signed the truck driver in and told him which barn to go to he turned to me and called me a lucky guy. I asked why and he gave me this funny look as he told me that Super Steve was one of the the two best horses in the country. It didn’t take hold until I was on my way to the barn. I remember wondering just what I’d done to change my luck so much.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are/were on the upturn!

-Badside