Wednesday, April 03, 2013

WAITING FOR SUMMER... with high hopes (Part 108a)

Ever since I’d bought the new (to me, at least) race car I’d been anxious for the new racing season to begin. Eight months is a long time and, as far as racing was concerned, it seemed like forever. After the pre-season practice I was even more excited as the car performed even better than I expected. Bret, my co-worker, was a part of one of my rivals pit crew and I’d had to put up with a lot of what we now call “trash talk” from him right from the time I’d started at the bank. I’d heard how Bags had improved his car and motor and was going to “whip my butt”. I was usually able to negate his “crap” by reminding him that I’d beaten his friend in the standings the year before while driving a piece of junk and with the motor that he didn’t think was good enough for him. It was pretty fun.

Opening night always brought out a lot of cars and part of the excitement was getting a “read“ on the new competition. That Saturday was perfect as far the weather was concerned... warmer than normal and no chance of rain. J J had chosen that Saturday to bring his wife out to show her the area and to meet Elle and I. Thankfully, they hadn’t stayed long. It wasn’t so much that I had a lot to do to prepare the car but I wanted to be to the track early to get a preferred pit stall.

I’d contacted my old co-worker, Jay, and he promised he’d be there. Darren, who’d helped me get the car ready, had recruited a neighbor of his, a former racer that I remembered seeing race against my first car. Don was a ”character“. He was very familiar with the type of equipment I had and I looked forward to his participation. Jim, my neighbor, had told me he’d be there but not until later as he had to work. Having a group of people helping me that actually knew something about racing was a calming effect, for sure.

Handicapping the cars (determining starting positions) at the beginning of the season was pretty much a rote process. Cars that had raced the previous season were given preference in that they would line up based upon their year end standings. I’d finished eighth and won the rookie of the year trophy which meant I’d be in with the faster cars for my qualifying heat. Bags was starting one position ahead of me on the outside of row one. During pre-race practice I’d had a chance to size up some of my competition and one of them was the car starting on the pole (1st place) and I knew he’d be a handful especially with all of the supposedly faster cars staring behind the three of us. I was nervous waiting to go onto the track but once I did I was really pretty calm. It had been the same way each night the year before.

As the green flag waved to start the race I floored the accelerator and was actually pushing the car in front of me. As we exited turn two and headed down the backstretch for the first time I could see I was already up to Bags’ door. Through turns three and four I could see him dropping back even more. By the time we came out of turn two I could see (in my rear view mirror) that Bags was now right behind me. That allowed me to drift up towards the guard rail as I prepared for turn three. It’s an advantage in that the driver can start his entry into the turn at a better angle. I was just about to start turning the steering wheel when I heard a lot of noise from up in the motor area and the car slowed as if I’d hit my brakes. I expected to feel a hit from behind so I steered the car up against the guard rail all the way though the turn to where cars would enter the track from the pits. I had no idea what had happened and just sat there for a few seconds. Then I looked up towards the start /finish line and saw the starter waving a red flag, indicating the race had been halted. Then it came to me that I’d not seen any cars go past as I slowed down. Looking in my mirror I could see Bags' car and a few others almost head on into the guard rail. As I climbed out I saw a few more cars, helter skelter, in the infield. Standing there looking at the carnage I saw liquid running across the track and down past my shoes. By then the reality of what had just taken place was becoming clear to me. I peered into the motor area and could see a large hole in the oil pan and that told me the whole story... the motor had, literally, blown up... and after just one lap of competition my season was over.

By then Darren, Jay, Don and Jim had run onto the track and up to me. I pointed to the motor and a few seconds later I heard Don call out that there were two holes in the oil pan. I’d seen a few blown motors over the years but this was the first one that came apart in the same way. I walked over to where Bags and Bret were standing. Bags wanted no part of me and just walked away. I could see there was a lot of damage to his car as well as to the others that were somewhat impaled into the guard rail and, even though it wasn’t really my fault, felt badly for them.

The car got pushed to the pits and to my space and as it did there were quite a few people who stopped by to find out what had happened. Among them was the father of one of the drivers in the faster division called Modifieds. Trailing behind him was an absolutely beautiful blonde girl. I immediately thought that she was his daughter because of the age difference. I knew that people called the man ”Seeg“, which was a take off on the fact that he always had the stub of a cigar in his mouth. This season was the second that his son was racing. During the previous season the man had made a point of coming over to say ”hello“ at some point each race night. He asked what had happened and I kind of blew him off, my disappointment showing through. He persisted and I basically told him I didn’t have another motor and, on top of that, no money. After a few seconds he asked what I was doing the next day. I wasn’t so crass as to ask him why but didn't answer. Sensing my reluctance he threw out a ”teaser“ and said it would be ”worth my while“ to make a trip up to his farm. He then walked off with the blonde girl following.

To be continued...

2 comments:

badside said...

Man that's a tough break! I can imagine how it was a double dose too, inadvertently causing the accidents behind you. Can't wait to read more about the blonde!

Pantymaven said...

As Forest Gump said "S__T HAPPENS"