Friday, November 22, 2013

MORE ON AND ON... June (Part 118c)

MORE ON AND ON... June (Part 118c) 

At the bank, the Board of Trustees meeting for the month was very important to me. I’d only received a token raise on my actual anniversary date because, as I was told, the date of my promotion to officer had become the new one. Not having access to other officer salaries, I had no idea what my raise might be. Bret had been pressuring Hobie about his status. He’d worked at the bank for a year and a half and when he was hired he’d been told that he’d be in line to become an officer after a training period... then I was hired. I liked Bret and we worked well together but didn’t feel comfortable inserting myself into his situation. I just hoped that the meeting would bring forth positive results for both of us.

Needless to say time dragged for both of us on that Wednesday afternoon. No one was prepared for what ended up happening though. Cee, one of the tellers, managed to drop her cash box on the way into the vault. Even though it was locked, somehow the top popped off and the coins that were in it scattered across the floor. What ended up happening became somewhat of a comedy. Bret, Trish and I along with most of the tellers pitched in to try and round up the errant coins. For Bret and I, the sight of five young women on their haunches and crawling across the floor certainly took our minds off the Board meeting. My favorite memory was of Jerene who waddled around on her haunches giving me (and Bret) a nice DP (downpants) for at least five minutes. Katie, with her short skirt, was also a pretty sight because as she, also on her haunches, moved about she would open her legs and close them. Her split second “flashes” were arousing, to say the least. At one point I actually thought I was finally going to get a peek of Trish’s panties when she squatted down for a quick second to pick up a coin that had rolled under her chair but I wasn’t in the right position.

Liz, the auditor, had to do another cash “proof” of Cee’s cash box which also kept us occupied for a while. It was as we were closing the vault door when I saw Hobie leaving the elevator. My heart was racing as I headed for his desk. But, he called Bret over before I got there. It was obvious that Bret had gotten his wish and was now an officer. I congratulated him expecting Hobie to then tell me what my raise was... but he didn’t. I was confused as we’d had a recent conversation about it. I didn’t know what to do or say, not wanting to be “out of line”. Hobie proceeded to put the materials from the Board meeting away for the night, pretty much ignoring me. Then, as he was reaching for his brief case, he hit me with something like “Oh, by the way, they gave you a $750 raise.” and then smiled. Combined with the $250 I’d gotten earlier, it came to just less than $20 a week. A quick mental calculation told me I’d be seeing about $30 more each paycheck, almost enough to buy food for two weeks. I couldn’t wait to get home to tell Elle.(z)

I had to temper my excitement a bit as I drove up the driveway as there was a car I didn’t recognize parked next our station wagon. It turned out to be Rex, the guy I’d bought the Sunfish sailboat from. He was there to ask that I come and get the boat as he needed the space in his yard. I’d gotten the information on where to look for a trailer but still hadn’t done it. I told him I’d get it taken care of Saturday even though I wasn’t sure how. He also reminded me that the dues for the sailing club were due. Here I’d just gotten a raise and before I could even get a dollar of it in my hands I had more money going out. It just never seemed to end.

 Elle was excited but mine was a lot more tempered than when I made the turn into the driveway. I figured that it might be best if I followed up on the lead for a trailer right after supper. I ended up at a small marina near where both Elle’s and my parents lived. I’d never been in to the marina itself as my father had bitterly opposed it’s creation. It was small so it wasn’t hard to find the guy I was looking for... Dan. I gave him Big B’s name and his face lit up with a big smile. I told him what I needed and he led me over to a stack of new trailers and pointed at one. I was figuring it to be over $100 but he said that any friend of Big B’s was a friend of his so the price was $85. I had less than $50 and told him it would be a few weeks until I came up with the rest and he just shrugged. He told me to come back Friday night and it would be ready. I liked both Dan and the “deal” but I was still out $85 that I hadn’t planned on spending.

The road into and out of the marina was strange in that it wound around almost like a snake. As I made the last turn I was actually looking into the back yards of a few houses. The clothes line were in back of the garages which seemed somewhat strange to me. There was nothing on them but the thought of their strange location stayed in my mind as I drove home.

I got everybody “pumped up” about the new boat as we left that Saturday morning with the new trailer to pick it up. I wasn’t the only one at Rex’s place as there was another young couple also picking one up. As I got closer I recognized Sandy, Bob’s (the guy I’d sold my Sailfish to) neighbor. Rex introduced us telling me that they were new members of the club and would be racing. We started to chat and Sandy’s husband, Johnnie, asked Elle if she was a teacher. When she said she was he said he was too and had seen her a few times at school. By the time we left Rex’s yard it was like we were old friends and we ended up inviting them to our house for lunch.

To be continued...

1 comment:

oldblue said...

Maybe Sandy will give us a little action in the future.