Saturday, October 27, 2018

"SPRING"ING AHEAD... Better days? (Part 170e)

“SPRING”ING AHEAD… Better days? (Part 170e)

After supper Elle explained why she was in such a good mood. To start her day the principal greeted her at the door and told her he was really pleased that she would be there for a while. Next, he told her the school board had voted to increase the per-diem for the substitute teachers by 10%. Then, later that day, one of the mothers came in and told Elle she was  going to be a “teacher’s aid” for the class. Elle told me she wasn’t expecting any of it which made it special. Then, to close out the day, Beth came in and told her that her mother was really looking forward to watching Kaye, our youngest, the next day. Elle had approved of the arrangement but wasn’t sure Beth’s mother was “all in” about it. But the words from Beth allayed her concerns. The end result… all of that led up to it being a good evening for me. The earlier word of “later…” from Elle was only a hint of what was to come. It brought back memories of our times before kids. If there was a regret it was that I knew reality would probably return the following day.

The week was busy but there was nothing to really set it apart and worthy of writing about with one exception… I came up with an idea of how to use the family homestead. I called Alex, the town Supervisor and caught him at a bad moment. He suggested that I stop on my way home on Friday. He told me he liked to stay late with no one around to get a handle on what was coming for the following week. He told me where to go to get in. The building had been a grocery market. The company had left the area thinking it wasn’t profitable enough. The loading dock was still out in the back and there was a door that wasn’t regularly used. He told me he’d leave it open for me. It was dark with absolutely no lighting so I had to let my eyes get accustomed to it. When I found the door it was ajar. Calling his name once I was inside, the answer I got didn’t sound like Alex. Then, like a light at the end of a tunnel, one appeared and I could see his silhouette in a doorway at the end of a long hallway. He greeted me with a beer in his hand and asked if I wanted one. I declined and, wanting to get home, told him about a lady I’d met that might be a solution.

Mary was an “artsy” type that had been living in the area for about a year. When she opened an account she’d asked if I could identify some local people who believed in promoting the “arts”. I knew a couple of the Trustee’s had wives who had been involved in promoting a couple of events that were considered “artsy” and arranged for her to meet them. One thing led to another and they and some others had gotten together and created a non-profit group called “EEAHC”.  (It takes too much space to type that in each time I bring them up so I’ll leave it at that.) Initially, they operated out of various members homes. Then, a small space became available at the old school in town. It had been a storage space when the school was built but had become useless as things in the school changed. I’d see Mary about once a month as she would make a deposit. I’d wave and ask how things were going and would usually get a thumbs-up in return. It was around Christmas that her response had not been positive. I made a point of asking what was wrong. Her answer was but one word… “Space…”. I had nothing to offer and she went on her way.

She’d been in during the week but I’d not had an opportunity to speak to her. But, after she was out of the building it came to me… the two houses Alex was trying to find a use for. Body language, if one knows what to do with it, can be a useful tool in dealing with people. I had no training in it but, in waiting on people at the bank I’d learned some signs that helped in the relationship. As I told Alex about the EEAHC I noticed him move forward in his chair and, on a couple of occasions, start to ask a question. He waited until I was finished and then stood up and proclaimed something like “We’ve got a winner!” He was ‘off and running’ at that point. He had a bunch of questions about the group but the only thing I knew as fact was that they were a bona-fide, tax exempt, non-profit. That seemed to energize him and the one thing I definitely remember him saying was he knew just who to see to move the idea forward. By then it was approaching 7pm. I asked if I could call home and as I did he got his overcoat and then waited for me. As we walked out he put his arm around me and thanked me a couple of times. His parting words to me were that I was now a part of “something big” for the town. I didn’t dare ask what it was.

The week continued to go in a positive manner for Elle. Kaye had adapted well to Beth’s mother’s care and the lady who’d come in as a teacher’s aid seemed to work well with her and the class. Mae and I put in about 3 hours in the bank cellar on Saturday. Nothing was found that had any value other than making space. I was almost ready to bring Hobie down to show him our progress. We had about half the first bin cleared and about one third of the middle bin. It was slow progress but it was progress. From the bank I headed for the garage where the race car was kept and where Cliffy worked. They were open on Saturdays until 1pm and I definitely wanted to catch up with him about the promised $500 from Cliff, the restaurant owner. I hadn’t understood the doubt that Cliffy had shown to receiving the money. I had no doubt but, then again, I’d known Cliff as a boss and a friend and he’d always been a ‘stand-up guy’. There was the possibility that Cliffy had a bad experience at one of Cliff’s restaurants. I had to wait until Cliffy finished up with a customer picking up his car. When he turned towards me he asked if I had the money. I was puzzled by his attitude. Here it was, only early March, and we hadn’t even started to get the car ready for the season.

Long story short… over the years he and his father had been promised all kinds of sponsorship money but it hadn’t come through. When I’d told him that all Cliff wanted from us was to hand out cards he thought it was just another empty promise. It took me a while to try and get him to understand Cliff’s concept. Over the years Cliff had come up with a number of successful but ‘off the wall’ marketing ideas including the first “Pennysaver”, a free newspaper filled with want-ads. Cliff’s coupon idea was certainly new in our area and, to Cliffy, wouldn’t work. I was getting a bit upset and finally told Cliffy it wasn’t up to him to decide if it was a good idea or not… and I knew Cliff well enough to feel sure we’d see the money. So as not to prolong the ‘discussion’, I got back in my car and headed home.

I still had  my weekend chores to do but when I walked in the kitchen I smelled something that I hadn’t in a long time… an apple pie cooking in the oven. I was still benefiting from Elle’s good mood. Not that my life at home had been bad but it had been a while since it had been as good as it was this week. The only thing was that I hadn’t given Elle my schedule for the upcoming week. The meeting of the four ‘local’ banks to monitor branching activities within the county was to be on Tuesday night. It was also to be held as a dinner meeting and Elle hated that. Then, the monthly meeting of the statewide banking association was on Thursday and in the city. That was the one where I’d go in to the city the night prior. I wanted to delay telling her until Sunday night to prolong the good ‘vibes’ as long as possible.

To be continued…

No comments: