Friday, February 15, 2019

MAKING PROGRESS... of sorts (Part 172g)

MAKING PROGRESS… of sorts (Part 172g)

I don’t remember the exact words I spoke but they were to get everybody on “the same page’. It was along the lines of “Is it a go or not?” Cliffy picked up on it and sort of repeated it. Dick spoke up with a bit of hesitation but answered “Yes…”. That left Alan (Buster didn’t count at this point) and I had some doubt about his willingness before he finally nodded in a positive manner. From my conversation with Neil I knew it was going to be ‘process’ moving forward and passed on some of the things he’d told me. As I had mentioned, Cliffy had done some research during the day and one of the things he did was to contact the parts manager of the local Chevrolet dealer. He backed up what I’d been told about parts availability for the 427ci Chevy engine and that it would probably take two to three weeks to finally have a finished engine. I pretty much became a listener until Cliffy turned to me and said he needed to talk with Neil to see how to proceed.  The way we left it that night was that I told him I’d call Neil and let him know when I did and then he go on from there.

Back in part 172e I gave you a hint of what was to come. I’m not going to go over the trials and tribulations of not only the collection of all the parts for the engine but of putting it together. I made the call to Neil the day before Memorial Day and we finally started the brand new motor for the first time the fourth week of June. You do the math.  There were fights, arguments and a lot of doubts expressed during this time. The only detail I’ll go into on the motor had to do with the cylinder heads. In part 172e I mentioned that General Motors had been slowly creating more high performance options. One of them was to introduce aluminum cylinder heads. It wasn’t to increase power but was to reduce the weight of the motor. In racing, weight is a major factor. The less the car weigh the more efficient the power becomes. If you’ve been reading this for a period of time you might remember a part time pit crew member, Robob. He’s the one who arranged for us to have free racing oil the previous season. I arrived at the shop one night to find him there with the other guys gathered around him. I got there to hear him say that he could get us a set of the aluminum heads but the only catch to it was someone would have to go to Buffalo, NY, to get them. Not wanting to ‘break the spell’ that Robob had over the group I didn’t ask for any details… like how much they would cost and, to this day I still don’t have the details of how that all came about. The most important thing for our team ended up being that we never had to pay for them. I guess you could say it was a case of ‘hear no evil and speak no evil’. To actually get the heads I was able to get my friend “Big B”  to pick them up for us. He was an over the road salesman who actually covered as far West as Buffalo. In the end, getting those heads saved us the amount of money it looked like we’d be short. The only other thing I found out about them was that they came from Canada. Now back to the real world outside of racing…

When Elle was still lethargic the next morning I told her to go to her doctor. With the parade and party the next day she wasn’t in any shape to handle either. I wasn’t worried about the parade. It was Jean’s party that concerned me. One of those concerns was the magician who was coming from the city to perform. I really hadn’t given much thought to the fact that he was arriving on the noon train other than I’d have to go pick him up. But, lying in bed that morning while waiting for the alarm it suddenly came to me… how was he going to get back to the city since the last train left around 2pm. It was too late to make any change so I put the thought behind me and headed for work.

Truthfully, after talking with Neil and Cliffy that morning, most of my thoughts for the rest of the day were about the race car. One interesting thing that transpired that day was in getting an apology from Bert, the president, about the way I’d been treated by some of the Trustees prior to the Mortgage committee meeting the previous day. It was appreciated but left me wondering how some of the day to day business of the bank was being communicated to the Trustees. I didn’t dwell on it though. Being a three day weekend I made the decision to let all the first floor staff leave as soon as the tellers were ‘in proof’ with all their cash counted and accounted for. That got them out a little after 4pm. I’d waited to call Cliffy until then to find out how things went with Neil. He was non-committal but said “Things were in the works”. I felt good that I was no longer the ‘lead’ on the project and that Cliffy had it. The next call was to Elle and was told that the doctor said that her malady had to do with her anemia and gave her a shot of something or other. That made me feel a lot better. When I told her I was on the way home I could actually hear her voice get a little life to it, a good sign. During supper we got a call from my mother to say she didn’t feel up to it to attend Jean’s party the next day. She asked if we could drive to the house so she could explain to Jean about her ’shopping spree’ birthday present feeling she couldn’t do it justice over the phone. When Elle told me I rolled my eyes and when I did she reminded me that she was my mother. Although it screwed up a perfectly good evening we did as she requested and, in leaving, knew it had been the right thing to do.

When we woke up Memorial Day morning (also Jean’s birthday) we were greeted with a cool, overcast day, not really a good one for a parade. We had some small presents for Jean to open at breakfast. Elle was to be at the staging area for the parade at 9:30am and when I went out to load the station wagon with the big 4H banner for her group found it was raining lightly. We hadn’t checked with my father (the amateur weather man) when we were at the house the night before and was sorry we hadn’t. I called him and was told it would get worse as the morning wore on. Elle had to make the decision to participate or not and called the other two mothers to get a consensus. It was a unanimous “no” which was OK by Elle giving her more time to get ready for the birthday party. While helping her I pressed her on more information on the magician. She’d gotten his name from Phyllis when participating in the PTA play but other than a good recommendation from her, had nothing more on him.

The birthday party was scheduled for 1:30 pm and he was to arrive on the noon train. As I waited for it to arrive I wondered what he was to do with himself until it was time for him to perform. It took a few minutes to figure out just who I was to pick up but a small black trunk gave me a hint. Walking up to the man I saw a tall woman with dyed blond hair and too much make-up standing near him. When I identified myself he introduced her as his assistant. Another surprise! I pointed to the station wagon and sort of followed them towards it. For some reason, in my mind they just didn’t go together. The man insisted the woman sit in front and as I watched her get in I had my eyes glued to the seat. She sat down with both feet still on the ground before swiveling her bottom to lift her legs, one at a time, into the vehicle. It was a totally unexpected treat.

To be continued…

No comments: