Sunday, February 17, 2019

MAKING PROGRESS... of sorts (Part 172h)

MAKING PROGRESS… of sorts (Part 172h)

On the short trip to the house I found out the magician’s name was Marcus and his ‘stage’ name was Magic Marcus. The woman's name was Melody and was his assistant but, for his act was known as “Goldie”. I thought it was because of her blond hair but I was to find out a short time later it wasn’t. I can tell you this… I knew Elle would be in total shock when she saw her. Elle and I had decided to surprise Jean and hadn’t told her about the magician coming so as soon as I pulled into the driveway Elle herded the kids upstairs to Jean’s room. Jean had won a prize for one of her projects and we’d had it framed as a present and the ruse was to give it to her and to pick a place to hang it. I’d cleaned off the ping pong table in the basement figuring the magician could use it to get his props in order. We had a couple of old chairs for Elle and I to use when supervising the kids so at least they had someplace to sit while waiting. As I led them down the stairs I explained the situation and apologized for the awkwardness of it. Marcus was gracious but did ask if we could provide them with a bite to eat while waiting. I don’t think “Goldie” said anything until I went to go back upstairs when she asked about a bathroom. I’d not given any thought to that when deciding to ‘hide’ them in the basement. I thought a quick trip to the second floor to tell Elle to stall the kids for a few more minutes would take care of that but upon my return she said she’d need the bathroom to get ready for the performance. All I could think of was “what next?” After they both availed themselves of the facilities I called them together to come up with an operating plan. I prevailed upon them to do all their preparation while still in the basement explaining how important the surprise aspect of their appearance was. Marcus was very understanding but “Goldie” was definitely a “prima donna”. When I had to go upstairs Marcus assured me he’d take care of “Goldie”

The guests started to arrive a little before 1pm. Just picture about a dozen nine to eleven year old girls together. Elle had decided to have Jean open her gifts before anything else which served to keep the group fairly occupied. While that was going on I brought the props Marcus wanted to use up into the dining room. Marcus didn’t have to do anything more as far as dressing than to put on what I’d call a two tail formal jacket and a top hat. “Goldie” was making a bit of a scene about needing privacy to get ready. Being an old farm house there was a section of the basement partitioned off that had been a root cellar with a dirt floor to keep vegetables both cool and damp. I’d not used it at all and the dirt was hard and dry. I told her I would put an old piece of carpet down and that seemed to calm her down. However, I had no idea what her costume would look like as I headed back to see how the party was going.

I could see Elle was fading and called me over to say she needed a break and that it would be a good time for the show. I’d put up a rope across the opening into the den with the idea being to have it hold a couple of blankets to act as a curtain. While Elle was building up the ’suspense’ as to what would be coming I moved the props into the den and then put up the blankets. When I was ready Elle told all the girls to cover their eyes and I opened the door to the basement. Marcus was right there waiting for me but there was no sign of “Goldie”. Marcus had some props as he pushed his way through the blankets. I asked about “Goldie” and I remember him looking at me with a bit of a smile. He gave me a card to read as his introduction and I then opened up the blankets and told the kids to open their eyes.. As expected, some already had. I started reading the card and glanced up to see this… I really don’t know how to describe it… “thing” making its way through the kids on the floor. Everyone turned to look and I knew it was “Goldie” but had no idea what she was supposed to represent. She never said a word as she made her way to where Marcus and I were located. I wanted to ask what she represented but Marcus was already playing to the kids. I stood there looking at her draped in this gold material and wearing on her head what best looked like a an enlarged caterpillar’s head and a gold body suit. I took a look at her feet and saw gold slippers. That prompted me to take a look at Elle who was standing towards the back of the room and the look on her face was priceless. The kids faces ranged from disbelief to laughing. With an entrance like that I wasn’t sure I wanted to see any more.

If I were to rate the skill of Magic Marcus it would be about a C+… for the kids. For adults… a D, at best. What he was good at was keeping the kids engaged. A couple of the kids who’d seen a magician before made a couple of requests and Marcus asked me to go to the basement to find the props needed to do them. As I said, he’d laid out all his things on the ping pong table and told me where to find them. Approaching the table I saw the clothes that “Goldie” had been wearing draped over some of the props. Not seeing what Marcus had described I picked the clothes up and lying there was a black bra and a pair of strange colored panties. I definitely wanted to look at the panties but had my hands full with her coat and dress. I also had to find the props I’d been sent to find. Talk about a challenge!

I spied one of the needed props and put the clothes down and grabbed it figuring to take it to Marcus and then returning to get the other and… well, you know where this is going. The panties were by Vanity Fair and were bikinis. The color, as I found out much much later, was mauve. I’d never seen it before and, until I saw a tag on a pair in a lingerie department years later, had never heard of it. In any case, it was a bright spot in a long, tedious day.  Earlier, I’d wondered about how Marcus was to get back to the city after he finished up with us since the last train headed West towards the city was around 2pm. While Elle was serving the cake and ice cream I got around to asking about it. When Marcus told me he thought trains ran all day I just shook my head.

About the last thing I wanted to do that day was to drive Marcus and “Goldie” to the nearest train station that had trains running to the city until 7pm, about 40 miles and an hour away… but I did. He’d been a big success with the kids and Jean was in all her glory since it had been her party. Elle was a walking zombie, she was so tired. When I left the house with Marcus and “Goldie” I told Jean and Anne that they had to take care of Elle while I was gone explaining that with her carrying the baby it made her really tired. To make my point I pointed out that Magic Marcus had been her idea and the best way to say “thank you” was to do any and everything she asked them to do. I got a very serious positive nod from them both… and then I was off. It was a quiet trip to the train station and by the time we got there I was glad that Elle had arranged for Marcus. Jean had loved the attention and her guests were absolutely ’taken’ with the magic. For $100, it was well worth it. It was certainly a birthday to remember.

To be continued…

No comments: