Monday, October 14, 2019

AND THE HEAT GOES ON... & on (Part 175g)

AND THE HEAT GOES ON… & on (Part 175g)

When I glanced at Morris I could see a bit of a smile in the corners of his mouth. Nothing was ever said about it but is a ‘forever’ memory. In thinking about it, later, it was hard to reconcile the gesture with the staid and no nonsense Morris that I’d known. It made me wonder what else was going on in his head. I had no idea when I’d see Maryellen again but when I did I knew I'd have more than just the architectural aspect to think of.

When the guys got together to load the race car on Friday night more time was spent on planning for the following weekend then on the next night of racing. “Fairlane" John stopped by to give us the money he promised for the tires we’d need for the ‘open competition’ race to be held at the new one mile NASCAR track in Dover Delaware. Only one race had been held at the track and it was for NASCAR’s top division, the Grand National cars and Richard Petty had won by six laps. There was not much information for us to use to set the car up since the Grand National cars were totally different… heavier, longer, different size tires, etc. What we did know was that we were going to see a track like no other. It was one mile in length and the turns were banked 24 degrees and what we all thought was amazing, the straightaways were also banked at 9 degrees. The Chief Steward at the track where we raced at on Saturday nights had told the drivers and owners who were thinking about racing there to make sure their cars were ready as they would be facing stresses that they’d never seen before as they’d be going at speeds they’d never seen before. As of that Friday night there were only four cars from our regular track that were planning on going… even with the guaranteed $1,000 the promotors were offering. Cliffy was glad that two of the three were friends… C J and Freddy. He told us that we’d travel as a small caravan and leave right after the regular Saturday night races were over. It was approximately three hours to get to the track so, if everything went well, we’d get there about 3am. The track didn’t open until 8am and no on track activity was allowed until noon so we’d be able to get some sleep. With all that said he asked if there was anyone who wasn’t going. There was no surprise when Buster mumbled something about having to do something with his wife and that that he wasn’t going. All the rest of us just stood there smiling. The one we didn’t have an answer for was Robob because he didn’t come on Friday nights unless we had real problems getting the car ready. As we left for the night there would be six definite including Beth and Ra, Cliffy and Dick’s wives.

The races on Saturday night were, thankfully, relatively calm… at least as far as we were concerned. No wrecks that involved us and a top ten finish made it successful. That meant we could spend the week going over each and every nut and bolt on the car. Before leaving the track Cliffy met with both C J (who had won the feature race that night) and Freddy to confirm the travel plans for the next weekend. Cliffy was a ‘hard read’ so there was no outward signs of his being nervous about the track. I pretty much knew that his experience racing at the 2 1/2 mile track at Daytona was the reason. I wondered about both C J and Freddy although Freddy had been racing for over ten years and at all size tracks. Even with Cliffy’s calmness I, for one, was nervous.

It turned out to be, for a change, a normal Sunday for me with all classes of sailboats racing. Not to my real surprise, a couple of the skippers who had left the club a while back all in a ‘huff’ over chaperoning of the junior sailing participants, returned. I kept my distance and away from the ensuing conversations. Seeing them made me a little mad and I guess I showed it out on the race course by winning both my races. That was truly a rarity as I still hadn’t gotten the ’hang’ of racing the Sunfish type sailboat. One noticeable thing was that neither of the loud mouth mothers who had precipitated the whole thing were there.

There are no notes as to what took place at work for that week… just about the preparation of the race car. I spun the rod and main bearings out and replaced them while Cliffy went over the transmission and Dick and Alan replaced all the bearings in the rear end. I knew we had to do it but I also realized we were ‘eating’’ a lot of our guaranteed money to do it. I rationalized it by thinking we wouldn’t have to do it all again for the Championship weekend in October. As usual for a Monday night, Davo stopped by with his girlfriend, Leigh. He told us he’d be going to Dover but not until Sunday morning. He was bringing his friend, Adam, (who was also one of the basketball players from our ill fated attempt at competing) but not Leigh. When I heard that I looked at her and she didn’t look unhappy with the news.

On Tuesday I was feeling a bit guilty about being away the upcoming weekend so suggested to Elle that she pack a picnic supper and that we go for an evening sail. The day was clear and the moon would be about full so it seemed like a good idea. I knew Anne would be all for it or at least I thought she would. That’s the trouble with spur of the moment ideas or suggestions… for them to work you have to have cooperation from the others. Long story short, Elle had played tennis with Aurelia and Martha that afternoon and Aurelia had invited all the kids to her house for an ice cream social and to go swimming in her pool. Right from the time they’d installed it I questioned why since we had some of the best swimming beaches in the area. BUT… the idea of swimming in a pool, and a lighted one at that, was too much of a ‘draw’. Then, with ice cream on top of that it was just too much for them to turn down. 

Elle didn’t immediately turn down my suggestion saying that she’d go talk with Martha and Mattie. She didn’t tell me what it was about so I went ahead and changed my clothes. I was back downstairs when she returned and said “We’re free”. The women from next door said they’d watch our kids. She’d changed from her tennis clothes and had on a nice short set. After making some tuna salad sandwiches she said was going to put on a partial package. I, immediately, started shaking my head from side to side reminding her that it would just be the two of us. I got a half hearted smile in return but she made no effort to go and change. I was already contemplating a very, very nice evening.

I loaded the sails and gear into the station wagon and was just about to start the car when I remembered the camera. When I got out I heard a very loud “No pictures!”. That ended that. Pulling in the driveway for the marina I thought about the two girls I’d observed earlier in the week on the big sailboat. However, when I looked down the road there was no longer a tall mast.  That’s also when I remembered the panties and top I’d found in the rest room were still under the seat of my car. Oooops!  I got the boat rigged and the outboard attached and we on our way. It was a perfect night. Enough wind to propel the boat without having to ‘work’ making it a relaxing voyage. I’d hoped to get in a little ‘pee play’ but Elle wouldn’t let me saying she didn’t have to go and didn’t want to stain her shorts. That was a big disappointment. However, she agreed to a picture when we went to bed. It was better than nothing.
...note the bikini panties...

To be continued…

2 comments:

oldblue said...

nice pic the mirror adds a nice touch. Is Dover still on the NASCAR schedule?

Pantymaven said...

OB... yes, they raced there just a few weeks ago. It's hard to believe that the track's been there for 50 years...