Thursday, October 03, 2019

AND THE HEAT GOES ON... & on (Part 175d)

AND THE HEAT GOES ON… & on (Part 175d)

I was at the marina a little after 8am Monday morning. I was hoping to see the owner but he wasn’t there. There were two mechanics in the repair shop so I left the outboard motor with them. Since they were busy I asked when they thought they could take a look at it and was told to stop back around closing time… 6pm and that worked for me. As I walked out of the shop I took a look at the big sailboat at the dock on the creek, again hoping to get a look at the two girls I’d only partially seen the day before. But everything at the boat seemed to be quiet. To get the look at the boat I had to walk to the end of the building. As I did I saw two girls. When they saw me they sort of shrieked and then started giggling. They had been headed for the building but stopped when they saw me. One of them sort of bent at the waist and the other started laughing. The girl who was laughing turned and started running back towards the dock and the boat leaving the other girl still bent over. I’d been treated to a fairly up close view of each of them which pleased me. My notes say they were in their mid teens and cute as well. My memory tells me one had a pony tail and the other shoulder length brown hair. The girl who’d been left behind slowly started towards the dock while the other was laughing and making fun of her from the boat. As I turned and headed for my car my thoughts were that they were just teenagers being teenagers. At least I’d gotten a look at the two of them.

As I’ve written in the past, August was the slowest month of the year as far as lobby traffic at the bank went. This particular week was one of Bret’s vacation weeks leaving Trish and I to handle the ‘platform' dealing one on one with customers desiring to open accounts. But that was the projection… not the reality. I’d hardly had a chance to get settled at my desk when Joanie let me know Morris, the branch banking consultant that the Trustees had hired, was on the phone. As I’ve also previously written, I’d been added to the Trustee’s branch committee but only as an observer and had not been included in a few of their committee meetings. I had a good relationship with Morris from having purchased the gifts we offered for opening new accounts when the first branch was opened. When I'd complained to him about the lack of information that was being shared with me about the pending branch application he offered to keep me posted with any progress or problems. The last I’d heard indicated that the banking department approval was imminent so I was excited to hear what he had to say. It wasn’t what I’d expected. He was calling to let me know he’d be at the bank on Wednesday for a branch committee meeting and asked if I’d be there. When I told him this was the first I’d heard about it he told me he’d make sure I was there. I had to wonder how that was going to happen. The cynical side of me made me ask how long he’d known about it. When he said that it had been scheduled over a week ago it made me mad. I thanked him and then hung the receiver up. As soon as I did I wanted to kick myself for not asking what the meeting was to be about.

That bit of information left me a little unsettled and when I got a call from Bret it troubled me. We’d both agreed that when on vacation it had to be an emergency for either of us to make contact. My first thought was that something had happened to him or a member of his family. They were OK but he wanted to let me know about Ruthe’s husband. Ruthe was the woman who worked with Lynda at the stock brokerage. Her husband had beaten her up a few times and I’d, inadvertently, gotten involved on the backside of the last incident and, following it, had tried to provide some moral support for her. The husband, because his father was rich and politically ‘connected’, had managed to avoid jail time. One part of the court agreement was that he would move to Florida and the second was that he would not return to the county unless summoned by the court system. Bret (and Trish) had gone to high school with him and knew first hand that he was nothing but trouble. Bret had heard from his sister that the guy was back in town. Even though there was nothing I could do he wanted me to know. If nothing else that news took my mind off the pending branch committee meeting.

I was on my way to the marina a little after 5pm. Trish and I’d locked the vault and had everyone on their way home. Any work left on my desk would still be there in the morning so my focus was on just how much it would cost me for the repair of the outboard motor. The doors to the workshop were open but there was no signs of ‘life’. I walked around to the front of the building to find both the mechanics seated on the very small patch of grass in the front of it… along with the two girls. This time they didn’t panic or react when they saw me but one of them poked at the other and whispered something to her. My impression was that she was somewhat embarrassed because she turned her head to look out at the boats tied to the docks. One of the mechanics recognized me and jumped up saying my motor was OK. He motioned for me to follow him.  Once around the corner of the building he commented on the two girls saying something like they were “really sexy”. I didn’t respond to his comment which got him to focus on me and why I was there. The motor was on a stand just inside the open door and he led me to it and pointed to a small lever, barely noticeable, under the cover at the back of it. I’d never seen it, not that I’d really looked, but it was a fuel shut off. After talking with him a bit we determined that when I’d reached back to raise the motor out of the water I’d hit it, turning off the fuel flow. Talk about feeling foolish!. He was really nice and wouldn’t take any money. After loading the motor in the trunk of my car I asked him what he knew about the two girls.

He might’ve been 20 years old and my question embarrassed him as he shrugged his shoulders as his face reddened. I definitely remember smiling. Then he said that he really didn’t know much about them but he volunteered that they kept coming around the building to peer in the shop all day. Then he got serious and asked if I’d noticed the brown haired girl was braless. I hadn’t and before I could respond he added he thought the two of them had been deliberately teasing them all day. I also remember asking what he meant by “teasing”. He looked over his shoulder as if to see if anyone was nearby before saying that he’d also seen them hanging around the cockpit of the sailboat in just their underwear. At that point he seemed to hesitate as if he’d said too much. I told him I thought he and his co-worker were pretty lucky and that got him back to smiling. I thanked him again for looking at the motor and got in the car. I’ll admit I was tempted to go back to take another look at the girls… but didn’t.

To be continued…

No comments: