Monday, May 05, 2008

WINTER DOLDRUMS... Surviving, but barely (Part 31a)

Mother nature gave me a break the following weekend. However, finding a ride to Elle’s college proved elusive so I had to “bus it”. That in itself was a budget buster for me. I was already almost broke and it was only the first of February. I was really excited to see Elle and her reaction to seeing me walk in the door of the sorority told me she felt the same. But, as strange as it may seem, there was some hesitancy on both our parts. We decided to head for the Student Union feeling we might have more privacy. With the weather rather pleasant I’m guessing that a lot of the students were taking advantage of it as the lounge was almost deserted. We headed for a corner, by ourselves, but didn’t go into a passionate embrace once we settled in. There was actually room for another person between us. In a way it was sort of a sparring contest. We each knew we had something important to discuss but neither of us wanted to start. I don’t know how long it took but when we finally started it was obvious that we each had radically different ideas.

Without a doubt we both realized we had gotten very lucky. We also knew that there was no doubt about our love for each other. We just had to figure how to go forward. Common sense told us that we had to be careful. But, therein was the crux of the real problem. In my mind the answer was “rubbers” or condoms as is the present day term. For Elle, the answer was abstinence. There really is a wide chasm between the two and I wasn’t prepared for Elle’s solution. I don’t remember my immediate reaction but I do remember arguing that that was just too drastic. As I write this, I’m sort of confused as to what I said and what I was thinking at the time. I do know that somewhere in the whole mix I couldn’t reconcile the fact that it was Elle who had resisted me when I wanted to pull out. That told me that she she enjoyed the “moment” and I couldn’t understand how she could want to abandon that feeling. Of course, no one has ever figured out how a female mind works. I remember trying to “reason” with her. I also remember that I did it in a very calm manner, which for me when on a topic that was important, was very difficult.

To give you a clue as to just how “deep” our discussion got, it took one of Elle’s sorority sisters walking up to us to break our concentration. When the girl was walking away Elle looked at me with a sheepish look on her face. I remember her pointing to her crotch. I just figured she had to go to the bathroom. That wasn’t it. She’d already gone... and hadn’t even noticed. As much as that usually excited me, this time it didn’t. First of all I was upset that we hadn’t come up with an agreed solution on how to be “careful”. Secondly, I was concerned about how to get Elle out of there without really embarrassing herself.

Fully expecting to have ready access to a ladies room while at the SU, Elle wasn’t wearing a “package”. Because she pretty much knew there wasn’t going to be much intimacy (and that it was very cold out) she wore a pair of wool slacks. On top of that she had worn a car coat which barely reached her “bottom”. With our “discussion” now very much in the background the focus was now on “damage control“. When Elle felt there was no one looking she lifted herself up off the sofa. I think it was gray upholstery but I do remember a big, dark spot where she’d been sitting. Her backside almost matched the color. Fortunately, there wasn’t much showing on her front. I quickly flipped the cushion over and stepped in right behind her. It probably looked funny to anyone who knew us, to see me walking so close behind her instead of along side. But I knew it was the only way to hide the ”damage“.

Elle complained bitterly about how cold her bottom was as we made our way back to the sorority. I couldn’t go any farther that the foyer once we were back in the house. The first time I felt any ”excitement” was when I watched her run up the stairs. I sat on the bench just inside the vestibule as I waited for her to return. One of the girls who came in was one of the few really pretty girls in the house. I watched her take off her coat and could see her panty lines as she bent over to undo her boots. I remember thinking of how much I’d like to know just what kind of panties she was wearing.

When Elle came down the stairs she was carrying a white sack. She handed it to me and said she’d be right back. I noticed that she had something balled up in her hand and knew it just had to be the panties she’d been wearing. I knew she was headed for the basement to hang them up and I wanted to go with her but stayed put. Upon her return we headed downtown. Being that this was the 50’s there weren’t a lot of dry cleaning establishments around and you had to go to a laundry for that service. The only laundry in the town was on the outskirts and it was a fair walk to get there. As usual, I hadn’t had much to eat and by the time we headed back I was absolutely famished. I did a mental calculation as to just how much money I had to spare. For sure, I had to save enough for the bus trip back to school. I don’t remember just how much it was but decided that I had to eat something. There was a tavern that a lot of the local students liked to patronize that we had to pass on our way back. They had a reputation for having good hamburgers so we stopped. For Elle, the problem was cigarette smoke but she agreed to come in with me anyway.

By the time we got served and were on our way back to the sorority, almost two hours had passed since we’d left on our journey. I was sure Elle had on a “package”. She would usually use a ladies room any time she could, even when wearing one, and she didn’t. I was going to question her as to why she hadn’t but decided to stay quiet. I was curious as to her “status” but figured I’d wait.

To be continued...

2 comments:

badside said...

Sorry I haven't commented lately, I've been lurking about here and there recently. That was some roller coaster ride for you two I bet! I guess it really put things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

You're story continues to fascinate.

ross rosser