Friday, February 27, 2009

WINTER... way too soon (Part 40g)

No one was killed in the accident but by the time things got sorted out and I got home it was after 8pm. I had my money but still had the car. The kid didn’t get off work until 11pm and if I left it with him I’d have to call my father to come get me. That, and the fact that I had to get my stuff out of it as well. It was a good thing I did it that way. I went and got a flashlight and started in the trunk. The only thing I knew was in there was pair of jumper cables. I’d forgotten that I’d taken Elle’s wet panties and pads from the motel room and stuffed them in a corner of the trunk. I’d missed them when I got Elle’s and my suitcases out when we got home. I also knew I had that metal box under the front seat with some of Elle’s dry, clean panties I that I had "just in case" and all the towels that I’d bought to protect the seats. I don’t know what made me shine the light under the seat one last time but when I did I found the pair of panties that I’d taken from the laundry room at Elle’s sorority way back in the Fall. I'd completely forgotten about them. They were still all balled up but were dry. I opened them up and the first thing I did was to look for the name tag to find out who they belonged to. I thought I recognized the name and if I was right they belonged to one of the prettier girls in the house. It was a nice thought. I took all the things over to the convertible and basically stuffed them into pretty much the same place that they’d been in the Merc. I was hurrying because I still had to eat something, shower and get ready for church. (6)

I drove the Merc to the bowling alley and signed the car over to the kid. My parents, with Elle along, picked me up and we headed for church. It was while sitting in the quiet of the church that it came to me that I had been incredibly lucky as far as the accident was concerned. I remember sitting there and starting to shake. Elle wanted to know what was wrong. I was able to put it aside and made it to the end of the service. When we all got back to my house my mother insisted that Elle come in before I walked her home. I was annoyed at her for doing that as I wanted to give Elle her presents alone with her. My mother always had a way of being dramatic when she had a surprise to spring. This was typical of her but I was totally puzzled. She ended up asking Elle if she’d like to go to the city and to spend a few days “exploring“ with her. Once I heard that I understood.

(A bit of background... Back when my parents decided to return home from living in the city they still had a long term lease on the apartment we lived in. My father felt that the terms for breaking it were too severe so he decided to sublet it. The minister from our church was due to retire and that meant he had to find a place to live. He’d been provided with a furnished house the whole time he was assigned to our church. Since he desired to remain in the city my father worked out a lease with him to live in our apartment. That allowed us to return home without major worries. But, the lease was up as of midnight December 31. I knew my father was going in to retrieve our belongings just before the end of the year and my mother, who dearly loved the city at Christmas, had begged my father to let her go as well so she could have one last ”fling“. So, her big Christmas present from my father was a ”yes“ with one condition. That was that she had to be out of the apartment during the day when the movers were packing things up. I’d been recruited to help but I hadn’t been too happy about it as it meant losing at least another day with Elle. So, when my mother came up with the idea of inviting Elle it make the situation more palatable to me.)

Of course it caught Elle by surprise. My mother said that she’d ”take care” of Elle’s mother which, as we sat there, seemed to take care of any trepidation that Elle had. My mind, such as it was, immediately began fantasizing some of the possibilities for what we could do while we were there. Elle seemed to be excited as well because when we left to walk to her house our conversation was on the city. I had the charm bracelet present in my coat pocket but the panties were still in the trunk of the car. We were in her house sitting in front of her Christmas tree when I realized it. At first I was mad but then realized that it was probably better that I wait. If I did give them to her and she wore them and her mother found them when she did the wash it’d be pretty hard to explain. I stayed put.

Her gift to me was a really nice flannel shirt. I’d mentioned the fact that it was always cold in my room so she thought it would help. She absolutely loved the charm bracelet and the fact that the charm, a Christmas tree, would always be a reminder of when she got it. There was a lot of kissing and hugging but because of her period, nothing else.

To be continued...

No comments: