Tuesday, May 19, 2009

MANIC MAY... winding it up (Part 44g)

The Dean set up another meeting with me following my last exam. At that meeting we discussed my future at the school and what options I had. I certainly didn’t want to continue as a Psychology major and the only way I had a chance of graduating with my class (with Summer school credits included) was to change my major to Economics. However, the school had a rule that, as a Liberal Arts college, you could not take more than five courses in your major in consecutive semesters. I needed seven courses. The head of the Economics department was called in and that was not a good sign for me as I’d taken my Eco 101 and 102 with him and had ended up with D’s. After considerable pleading on my part and promises to work really hard I was told it was OK. Because I needed to make up the credits I’d lost with the WF in the Psych course I was told to take Economics courses during the Summer. The caveat was that my course choices had to be approved by the department head. I asked for a list of schools whose credits would be accepted and one was a college that was only an hour and a half from home. Resigned to not being able to work full time I grasped the positives of being near home and Elle.

Calls were made and pre-registration was done over the phone. All I had to do then was let my parents know and get the money for tuition. THAT... was going to be hard and I really didn’t look forward to making that call. It had taken two whole days to get through all of the above and I still hadn’t started work. I was just about to leave campus when I got an idea. The Dean had shown he was somewhat sympathetic to my plight as shown by his willingness to work with me and by having admitted that it had been wrong for the school to have brought Professor W back. I made one last visit to his office and asked if he could/would write a letter to my parents explaining the troubles that I’d had with him and my advisor. I must’ve looked pitiful because he said he’d draft something up and get it in the mail by the end of the week. To me, that was enough to buy a little time.

My boss, AJ, was less than pleased with my situation. With me being away for six weeks right in the busiest time for him was something that didn’t set well with him. He’d made plans for me being there and now, on the spur of the moment, they had to be changed. Ed, the colored man who helped AJ out with training during the Winters, would now have to do the same in the Summer. That meant that Ed wouldn’t be able to take care of any horses so another groom would have to be hired. AJ decided that it was only fair to Ed to let him share my duties while I was there so that meant we each got one horse to care for. It wasn’t what I was planning on as it also meant that I wouldn’t be getting a raise.

The promised letter had been received by my parents by the time I called them that Sunday. The one thing that a stern lecture over the phone had as an advantage was that I didn’t have to see the face of my father as he spoke. There was no question that he was mad but he did indicate that he’d get a check off to the college to cover my Summer tuition. I could only hope that he would be somewhat calmer by the time I got home.

I had three weeks to work. The only thing, of note, that happened during that time was that I cashed the biggest winning ticket of my life. I won over $130 for a $2 daily double bet and it was right before I headed home. Also, I did hatch a plan to make some money while still attending classes. I’d been in contact with one of my fellow members of the ”unholy alliance“ from the fraternity and gotten his parents approval for me to stay with them. He lived just minutes away from the campus. I’d attend classes in the morning, do my homework in the afternoon, and then go to the same racetrack where my grandfather’s horses were racing and work, taking care of horses that would be racing at night. I’d go home over the weekends and that way I’d be able to spend time with Elle. It seemed like it was perfect... too perfect.

To be continued...

2 comments:

badside said...

As always, just when things start looking too good to be true...

oldblue said...

What's that famous quote? "I love it when a plan comes together"