Tuesday, July 21, 2009

MORE SUMMER... Ups and downs (Part 46a)

I woke my father up while taking a shower. He commended me again for using good judgment by not driving when overtired. (I never told him the truth about that evening though) My mother had packed up all my “horse clothes” and they were waiting by the door. I loaded them into my car and then ate some breakfast while waiting for the shade in Elle’s bedroom window to go up. It was actually before 8am, her usual time, and I rushed right over. She looked 100% better than the last time I’d seen her but she still had dark circles under her eyes. She seemed very quiet and I couldn’t tell if she was glad to see me or not. Her mother was getting ready to go to work so we just sat on the sofa and didn’t really say much. I wanted so much to just grab her and kiss her but I knew she’d rebuff me what with her mother flitting about.

As soon as I saw her mother’s car pulling into the road I moved over and hugged her tightly. She didn’t fight me but I could feel her rigidity. I asked what was wrong and she wasted no time in telling me. Her mother was sending our engagement announcement to the papers that week. I wasn’t happy but Elle explained that she’d finally convinced her mother to hold off at least until I went back to work. I knew I’d escape facing the “wrath” of my mother and the hurt of my grandparents by being back to work. I also knew it had to happen sometime.

But that wasn’t what was really on her mind. Her period was late. My mind went into reverse trying to remember when we’d made love without a condom. I just couldn’t pinpoint it and had to accept what she was telling me. It’s amazing how fast our minds can work when under extreme pressure. My first thought was of the money her father had offered if we were to elope. There was no doubt in my mind that I was willing to marry her as soon as we could. In fact, I remember taking her in my arms and telling her not to worry. But, they were only words and I was about to leave. I now know she was feeling somewhat abandoned. She was worried about a lot of things and had no one to share her worries with. But, regardless of that I knew I had to get back to work. It was imperative that I had to make some money and that was the way I wanted to do it. There were no answers for her right then and I had to get on the road if I was to make it to the track by 6pm. I also had to stop and see my grandparents. It was not a good “good bye”.

My grandfather pressed two twenty dollar bills into my hand as I was leaving his house. I felt guilty taking it knowing how upset he’d be when he saw the announcement in the local paper on Thursday but I did take it. Added to the $20 my father gave me I had enough money to make it through the week. On the trip back I had plenty of time to come up with a strategy for what I/we would do if Elle was really pregnant. I knew there were loans available at college for married students and pretty much focused on that. I just had this feeling that I’d find a way to make it work for both of us.

I got to the track in time to warm some horses up and it felt good as it got my mind off Elle for a while. With the next day being Sunday I got all caught up with what was happening at the stable and AJ went over what my responsibilities were to be. Work, during the week, was somewhat hard as I’d gotten “soft” over the previous six weeks. My days and nights were filled but I managed to find time to call Elle a few times. It was at the end of the week when she told me her period had finally come. She had to go to her doctor for her required check up for college and he told her the reason for the lateness was probably as a result of her being so sick. Believe it or not, I was just a bit disappointed. She reported that the “fallout” from the engagement announcement seemed to be mild. I was still afraid to call home though.

That Sunday evening when AJ came to check on the horses he asked me to get in his car. I couldn’t imagine why. In all the time I’d worked for him we’d never really “talked” or socialized. He ended up driving to his rented house. It had a nice back yard with lawn furniture and when we sat down Mrs AJ brought out a pitcher of iced tea. I was really puzzled. After a little small talk she went back into the house leaving AJ and I alone. I could see he was uncomfortable and my first thought was that he was going to tell me I was through. That wasn’t it. It was that when AJ made his weekly call to my grandfather (he called all his absentee owners every Sunday), my grandfather had told him that he was very upset with me but wouldn’t tell him why. AJ was concerned that it (the situation) would somehow affect he and my grandfather’s relationship and might cause him to lose those horses.

To allay his fears I explained that Elle and I were engaged. I went on and told him about Elle’s parents relationship to my grandparents and the fact that my grandmother was a great believer in the caste system. In her eyes Elle wasn’t worthy of marrying me. I remember him just sitting, listening. When I finished he started talking. I don’t remember the exact words but, in essence, he understood my situation. He told me he was born in Canada and his family had moved to the States when he was eight years old. At that time, Americans looked down on Canadians, calling them “dumb Canucks”. Just because of where he was born some families wouldn’t let their kids play with him. So, in a matter of a few minutes I had AJ on my side... but he was still wary of just what my grandfather might say and/or do as far as his horses were concerned.

To be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, sounds like things got a lot more complicated!

-Badside

oldblue said...

AJ, being older, seems to realize shit runs downhill and whenn hitting the fan a little gets on everyone in the room.