Tuesday, May 25, 2010

FROM BAD TO WORSE... life in Hades (Part 56a)

Some background on Dan... He was primarily a potato farmer and the horse racing had started out as a hobby. He and his brother-in-law had purchased a “black-land” farm in New York and in spite of being told that potatoes wouldn’t grow there, went ahead anyway and were very successful. They did this for a few years and then sold the farm for a humongous profit. At the same time Dan had achieved much success racing horses. He decided he wanted to buy another farm and, besides raising potatoes, turn it into a training and breeding center for harness horses. He found a 175 acre dairy farm where the owner had died and he and his brother in law bought for a “song“ at an estate auction. They cleared about 60 acres of rocks and stones and then planted potatoes. In the first year they set a state record for yield per acre for potatoes. Dan also graded out an area for a half mile training track. While that was going on he created 16 stalls under the main barn. He still needed another 8 stalls but the existing dairy barns weren’t able to be converted for horses. About a month before I started lightning struck the silo next to one of the dairy barns and burned the barn down. Fully insured, he was able to take that money and build what he needed without using any of his own money. He hired the Amish to build it and it was just about finished when I arrived.
=======================

Feeling grubby and still half asleep I followed Dan down the hill toward this big barn. We actually walked past it and there in front of us was his training track. I could see from the look on his face that he was really proud of it. From there he took me into the stable area. I recognized some of the name plates on the stalls and there were some good horses there. He went over to a door and opened it and yelled something. It was where the grooms lived and it was a wake up call for them. It was Sunday and here he was waking them at the same time as on a regular work day. I was a bit puzzled but didn’t say anything. I was used to having a sort of "lazy day" on Sundays. He told me about the breeding on some of the yearlings he’d bought at the recent auctions and he bragged about how he’d got most of them ”on the cheap“. Then this wizened old man came out from behind the door. He introduced me to ”Chit“. I thought he said Chet but he insisted that it was Chit. Dan introduced us and then told Chit to get me started. My first reaction was ”started on what?“ but I didn’t say anything. I hadn’t had anything to eat, not that there was much in the trailer. He then disappeared and Chit took me over to three stalls and told me they were mine. I didn’t pick up on it at first. I honestly thought that he meant that they were mine to break to bridle and harness but he quickly made it clear that they were mine to take care of. I just knew there was some mistake so went looking for Dan. I walked all the way back up the hill to his house but no one answered the door. I went over to the trailer to see what I could find to eat and after finding some crackers made my way back to the barn. I tried telling myself that Dan was short help and this was just temporary. Chit quickly came across as being a tight lipped individual. His favorite answer was ”I don’t know.“

I proceeded to clean the three stalls and horses, giving them each a nice walk. When I was finished I was absolutely famished. I needed food. Back up the hill to the house and this time a large, pleasant faced woman answered. It was Dan’s wife, Jeanne. I introduced myself and she made me feel welcome saying she recognized my voice from the calls I’d made to Dan. I asked where Dan was and she said she didn’t really know. Her two sons were running around behind her trying to get a look at me. I told her I needed to park the trailer but didn’t know where. She just smiled and said I’d have to wait for Dan. I asked how to get to town and she gave me the directions. I moved the trailer from the driveway and headed to town. It wasn’t much. Not quite the size of my grandparents town. What I did notice was a big ”Grand Opening” sign and a fairly large parking lot with but one building. The sign read “Acme”. Curious, I pulled in. It was what we would now call a Super Market“ but it was closed (Sunday Blue laws were still in effect at the time) I knew I would be back. I did find a General Store that was open and they had block ice which I needed for my ice box. I got some staples and headed back to the farm.

Dan was looking at the trailer when I got there. His brother-in-law, Bert, was there as well. Dan knew that I had a house trailer and, trying to be funny, said it’d be hard to fit four people in this one. I’d not made arrangements to move the trailer from North Carolina for a couple of reasons. The main one was I wasn’t sure I’d end up working for Dan. The other was I didn’t have the money to move it. I explained that to Dan and he said he’d take care of it for me. I should’ve asked him how... but I didn’t. I knew I couldn’t bring Elle and the babies down until the trailer was in place so I happily thanked him.

He’d already run power and water out to the spot the house trailer would be located in so I pulled the little one in there. I was going to try and sort out all the stuff in it but Dan had other ideas. I got a tour of the whole farm... on the back of the tractor. One thing I specifically remember him pointing out was the field where the horse manure was spread. He said it a few times but I didn’t know why. When we finished he reminded me that it was time to feed and water the horses. I didn’t ask him about Chit’s comment about me taking care of the three horses. I think it was because of the way he spoke. It was always with authority and coupled with the look on his face he was intimidating.

To be continued...

3 comments:

oldblue said...

I had a bad feeling about that guy right from the start. Seems to be the screw everybody all the time type.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, sounds like it was shaping up to be a bad situation!

-Badside

Pantymaven said...

Just wait a while...