Thursday, May 27, 2010

FROM BAD TO WORSE... life in Hades (Part 56b)

When it was feeding time I got to meet the men who worked taking care of the other horses. I was talking with them when Dan walked in. He looked right at me and wanted to know why I wasn’t out spreading the manure. I was so shocked I didn’t answer. When he asked again I said I didn’t know I was supposed to. He took it as a smart ass answer and got in my face saying that was why he took me out in the field to show me where it was to be spread. I was a bit shaken by the tone of his voice and still didn’t answer. When he didn’t move I finally told him I’d never driven a tractor or used a power take-off. He made some sort of derogatory remark and backed off telling me to follow him. We went to the tractor and he gave me some quick lessons and sent me off to go spread the stuff. When I returned it was dark and I still had to get the feed tubs out from the stalls and wash them up. I honestly don’t know why I didn’t just go get in my car and hitch up the trailer right then and there... but I didn’t.

I won’t bore you with a blow by blow account of my first week at the farm. I think it might’ve been Thursday when I finally stood up to him and asked why I was working as a groom plus the other tasks when I was hired as an Assistant Trainer. His response was another shock. ”I never told you that you were going to be my assistant.“ He then told me that I was his highest paid employee and was expected to do whatever I was told to do... at whatever time I was told to do it. Again, I don’t know why I didn’t just quit right then and there.

By the end of the week, besides taking care of three horses, I’d found myself grading, bagging and then delivering 100 pound sacks of potatoes; driving 40+ miles to pick up hay and straw to save a few dollars; picking rocks from a field that Dan wanted to put under potatoes in the Spring; and helping to refit a two car garage to make it into two more stalls. My house trailer was due to be delivered on that Saturday. Elle was really on my case for me to get home to see the baby and to get her but in my conversations with Dan he was only willing to give me a day and a half to do it. The trailer had been empty for over six months and I knew it had to be cleaned thoroughly before bringing them back so, much to Elle’s displeasure, I chose to wait another week to head home for her and the babies so I could get it cleaned up and ready for them.

Actually, the next week went much better. Seeing my pay that Saturday and knowing I could keep most of it since I didn’t have any rent to pay or electric bills to face somewhat tempered my anger. Another benefit that I hadn’t been aware of was that I could gas up my car once a month for free. I’m not sure it was all Dan’s doing but I found that I didn’t have as many chores to do after dark that week and was able to clean the trailer well. I also got to visit the new Acme supermarket and buy some of the things that Elle wanted for when she arrived. I was really impressed with it and had to keep a close watch on just how much I spent. Dan also introduced me to the people who ran the General Store where I’d stopped that first day in town. Dan had worked out an arrangement for them to sell his potatoes and was given a discount on his purchases. During the introductions he asked that I be given the same discount. I wasn’t sure why but I wasn’t going to ask.

I worked until noon that following Saturday. It appeared to be about an eight hour trip home. Even though it was broad daylight and a bright sunny day I found myself drifting off to sleep once on the highway. I pulled over and fell asleep for well over three hours. It was about 5pm when I woke up. I called Elle to tell her that I’d be late. It was after midnight when I pulled into her parents driveway. She was asleep in her father’s chair with the baby asleep on her shoulder.

I woke her up and the look on her face told me she was upset. I expected it and was prepared. I remember giving her a kiss on the cheek and she half turned away. I asked to see the baby and she handed her over to me. In spite of the fact that I’d gotten used to handling the first baby it seemed different handling this one. Waking her up triggered her hunger and Elle took her back to feed her. I sat there watching them and not a word was spoken. I didn’t know how to break the silence between us. When the baby finished her feeding Elle took her upstairs to change her and I followed. I was in bed when she finished. Elle climbed in but turned her back on me. I lay there wondering if she’d even go back to the farm with me.

I wanted to be on the road fairly early but we had to stop and see my grandparents to show them the baby. I wasn’t looking forward to that because I’d quit AJ without telling my grandfather and I’d been warned by my father that he was upset with me for it. As I remember it we got there late that morning. Surprisingly, my grandparents were very cordial to Elle. As for me, my grandfather made but one statement... ”I’m disappointed in you.“ I knew him well enough that there was nothing I could say to change his mind so I kept quiet. They wanted to feed us because it was so close to noon but I insisted that we get on the road.

I knew it would be a difficult trip what with the new baby, the 16 month old, Elle's wetting problem and, most important, the lack of communication between Elle and I. It was almost 10pm by the time we reached the farm. Everything was set for the baby and all I had to do for the 16 month old was to set up her crib which was in the car. Elle had started talking about the time we got to New Jersey. She wanted to know about the farm, the town and the people. I didn’t dare tell her what I really thought about all three so ”fudged“ my way though that. Being dark when we arrived there was no way for her to get an idea what the place looked like. I wasn’t looking forward to her reaction when daylight came.

To be continued...

1 comment:

oldblue said...

Not good! Never work for someone you can't respect. The pressure of holding your tongue is to much.