Tuesday, November 23, 2010

THE NEXT PHASE... positive signs (Part 64e)

Tuesday was Election Day and the whole office was a bit uptight. Everyone was aware that there was a distinct possibility that the Controller could lose. I, because I was so new, had no idea of the ramifications should that happen. I listened to the ”whispers“ but didn’t understand. I finally asked Irwin if he could go over the whole situation. I knew absolutely nothing about local politics so it was a whole new world that he explained to me.

The County had traditionally been heavily Republican. The governing body was the Board of Supervisors which was made up of the elected Supervisor from each of the ten townships. The present Board had eight Republicans and two Democrats. But, because of political corruption throughout the County, there was a wave of Democratic sentiment leading up to the election. As far as the Audit and Control department was concerned, the Controller, a Republican, had persuaded the Board of Supervisors to get the computer and to put it under his control. The County Treasurer, a Democrat, was upset, especially with the fact that his department would no longer be responsible for creating the County payroll. The fear was that if the Controller lost the election and the Board of Supervisors ended up being split with five Republicans and five Democrats, the Treasurer would petition to have the payroll returned to him along as well as getting control of the computer. Irwin told me, again, that Jay was the only non elected, non civil service person being paid by the County and if things were to change he might lose his job.

That half hour with Irwin explained a lot and gave me an idea of what was going on in Jay’s mind. The only thing I said to Jay that day was to let me know if he needed help to call me. That night I ended up listening to the local election results. I tried to explain to Elle just why but it was useless. She didn’t really want to know.

The Controller won and the Board of Supervisors remained in Republican control, six to four. It was about 2am when I finally went to bed. Elle thought I was crazy since I was so apolitical. But this was about my job and it mattered. I really couldn’t sleep so went in early hoping I’d get a chance to see Jay before anyone else got there. I wanted to find out how Nina was doing with the Police payroll. He was already there when I walked in and I remember saying something like ”We won!“. He threw up his hands like it didn’t matter. I asked what was wrong and he just turned to all the trays spread out on the work tables. Then he said that Nina hadn't marked them. There was no way to readily know which tray was to be processed first and then second, etc. It would take precious time to get them in proper order. He said that Nina hadn’t used the manual that I’d created. I asked Jay if he wanted me to help and he shook his head signifying ”no“. He said that if it ended up being f****d up, so be it. It was all in Nina’s hands.

Nine o’clock came. Then 9:15 and then 9:30am and still no Nina. I saw the Controller’s secretary walk into the computer room and then I saw Jay throw his hands up in the air and storm out of the computer room. He headed right for Irwin’s desk. The two of them left and went into the vacant Deputy Controller’s office. I knew something was up and about 20 minutes later Jay came and got me. We went into the office where Irwin was sitting behind the desk. He looked at me and without wasting any time asked me if I would be willing to work in the computer room with Jay. I had no idea what was going on and certainly had never entertained any thoughts of really working in there. I hesitated at first and then said ”sure“. Irwin said that it was not official as the Controller had to sign off on it. I was not to say anything that indicated that I was doing anything more that filling in. He went on to say that if the current test worked out and the next two payroll runs which were to be run along with the Treasurer’s run were OK that he was almost positive that it would be my job.

I heard what he was saying but it wasn’t registering. I was in sort of a daze as I walked out with Jay. He was already working on how to remedy Nina’s latest screw up as we walked. By the time we did we were already six hour behind. It meant but one thing... a late night... again. I was so excited that I completely forgot that I was supposed to go home at lunch so Elle could have the car. It wasn’t until it got dark outside that it came to me. I called and it was easy to tell that she was more than a little upset. I knew enough not to ask if she could fix up a meal for Jay so I just said I’d be home when I could. She hung up on me.

It was around 10pm when all the cards had been through the computer. Since the Police payroll was the shorter of the two we knew we had enough time the next morning to do the printout and even do a dummy run with the checks themselves. BUT... we were both so psyched that we decided to go ahead with the printout. Setting up the printer was the one thing I hadn’t been shown in detail so Jay did it. We both were anxious to see the finished product. It was a little after midnight when the last page printed. We were both running on adrenaline but, in my mind, there was one thing more... was it in proof? I wanted to do it right then and there but Jay said ”No“. Even without that I had a great feeling of accomplishment as we turned off the lights. What I didn’t have a good feeling about was what I was going to have to listen to when I got home.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, never make your spouse mad! Nina never showed up to work that day? Have a great Thanksgiving PM!

-Badside