Saturday, November 06, 2010

SETTLED... at least I thought so (Part 63f)

The second time through the department I wasn’t as intimidated. The only thing I didn’t like was that this older saleswoman came up to me and told me I looked ”lost“. Of course I was embarrassed. I remember trying to think of something to say to get her to go away. I really didn’t want to look at her so I looked over her shoulder and saw this really fancy pair of panties hanging on a ”T“ display on the counter. From out of somewhere I came up with the fact that my wife had a birthday coming up and I wanted to get a really nice pair of panties for her. It was as if she knew I was looking at those panties because she then said that she had the perfect pair and turned around and put her hand right on them. As she let the panties drape over it I know she saw me blushing. I think I managed to stammer out that I needed a size 5 and then she smiled one of those "knowing" smiles that make you want to cringe. I had only a dollar and some change left and was afraid I wouldn’t have enough to buy them. The price was $1.79, more than I'd ever paid for any panty. I hadn’t bought any panties since I’d bought the Plymouth nylon satin ones during the Winter when working for Dan and they only cost 69 cents each. When she told me the price I asked that, if by chance, the store carried panties made by Plymouth. She said she didn’t think so but since the ”buyer“ was in the store she could check with him. More to get out of an embarrassing situation than really wanting to know I said ”yes” and she motioned for me to follow her. We went into a small office where this young man, probably not much older than I, was seated at a desk. He told me that Macy’s didn’t carry that brand but he was familiar with it. He asked if I knew anything about the “garment district”, specifically Orchard Street. I didn’t but he then wrote down some information on his business card and handed it to me. Then he told me how to get to Orchard Street. I thanked him but felt embarrassed again and really wanted to get out of there. As I followed the lady I tried counting the change in my pocket without looking. She’d been so helpful I felt that I should at least buy that one pair of panties she’d showed me. It must have looked silly to see a grown young man, in a suit, counting pennies. In any case I had enough and I left, happy, with a pair of off white Munsingwear fancy panties.

I never really got a close look at them before she wrapped them up nicely in tissue paper and put them in a bag for me. I was so nervous I still couldn't remember if I’d told her Elle’s size. There was really no place for me to inspect them plus I only had a short time to get to the train station. The train was very crowded and once on it there was still no place where I felt comfortable in opening the bag. I ended up stuffing them in my overcoat pocket and then started day dreaming about what my new job would be like.

It may be hard to believe but I actually forgot the panties were in my coat pocket. It was the first time I'd worn it since college and was so excited to see Elle and to tell her about the exam I just took it off and hung it in the closet. I really don’t remember much about the next week, that is until Friday. Elle found me building the frame for another patio pad. She’d gotten the mail and there was a letter from the State Civil Service Commission. I ripped it open and saw that I’d scored a 92 on the test. If what Mrs K had told me was true I’d be hearing from the County the following week. This news was both good and bad. I wanted to announce it to the world but I knew I had to wait. The waiting lasted until either Wednesday or Thursday of the following week when I got a telephone call to set up an interview. I called Mrs K for reassurance. She laughed and told me to relax. Easy for her to say.

When I found out that I’d be interviewed by the County Controller I got very nervous. I was familiar with his name as he was up for reelection. I didn’t know what to expect. I wanted to look as "professional" as I could so took the overcoat. It had been threatening to rain so I had an excuse to wear it. It wasn't until I went to put my car keys in the pocket after I arrived at the Center that I found the panties. I stopped and I know I was blushing as I stood by the car. I kept walking though and told myself to be calm.

I found the Controller to be really nice and he put me at ease right away when he said he was going to let the Chief Auditor do “the dirty work”. The man’s name was Irwin, a short rotund man who walked with a limp. When he walked in the smile on his face was ear to ear. He grabbed my hand and I thought he’d crush it. Before I could say anything at all he, never letting go of my hand, said he'd like to show me the office. I was really at his mercy as his grip was so strong. Once outside he apologized but immediately added that it was for my own good. I didn’t understand but there wasn’t much I could say. I followed him down the hall a short way and walked into this open work area. As we walked in there was a counter with nothing on it and not manned by anyone. Without my asking he pointed to it and shrugged his shoulders as if to say he had no idea why it was there. I saw a bunch of women working at desks as I followed Irwin around the end of it and I noted that the age range of the women was from teen to past middle age. We walked into another room with seven desks in it and there were two men working. I followed him to a desk at the front of the room. He motioned me to sit down and I was glad to do it.

He explained that if we’d stayed in the Controller’s office I would’ve ended up listening to an election speech and then he started laughing. About the only I thing I was asked in the “interview” was if I was ready to start. I told him I could be there the next day but he explained that I’d have to wait until the next “pay cycle” which would mean I’d start on Monday, October 30th. Even though it was only a matter of days it was still another wait. I was tired of waiting but at least I knew, for sure, I had a real job.

As I got to the car and went for my keys I felt the panties in my coat pocket again. I pulled them out and spread them on the car seat. They looked huge! I quickly looked for the label and it read "size 5". The only thing I could think of was that they had put the wrong label in the panties. I knew that Elle would never wear them and decided that since I'd bought them the day I took and passed the test for the job I'd put them in my "stash" as a reminder of that day. I was disappointed about the panties but still ecstatic about having the job.

To be continued...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bet there'll be some panty peeks in the new office!

-Badside

oldblue said...

Now that's a great pair of panties.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, good article. Signed.

Anonymous said...

Its awesome all of the time to view how folks can compose wonderful stuff about people topics! Thank you and I ve bookmarked you