Monday, June 25, 2012

YEAR END IN SIGHT... (Part 93e)


When we got to my grandfather’s house we found my mother busy in the kitchen. Anxious to see the kids reaction to the presents she had bought for them, she took a break and followed all of us into the living room where my father, brother and grandfather were seated. I’d warned my mother that Jan probably wouldn’t arrive until 4:30pm or so. Janice, her sister, being naturally shy had decided to wait for Jan. Concerned that Janice would feel awkward what with gifts being exchanged I’d gotten a subscription to Life magazine and my mother had gloves and a scarf for her. My mother, who loved to shop, had decided that Jan’s gift (a nice fancy blouse and lacy slip) would be from the whole family. That was perfect as far as I was concerned. I was still praying that Jan wouldn’t do or say anything that would even hint at my “gift”.

With the kids happily playing with their gifts Jan and Janice walked in. Jan was still in her nurse’s uniform and my mother made a comment that it would be nice if, for dinner, she could change and not make us all feel so formal. I’d watched Jan’s face from the moment she’d walked in and she hadn’t looked in my direction even for a second. When my mother made her comment she handed Jan the present. After all the “Oh... you shouldn’t have’s” she opened it. It was obvious that she was surprised by the blouse. When she held it up in front of her for all to see, her excitement just glowed. She did look at me as she showed it off and there was no sign of any problem. I was relieved, at least for a few seconds. At my mother’s urging she disappeared into her room with her presents to change.

While she was in there there my grandfather handed out his presents. We all knew it was money. With his failing eyesight and inability to get around he could no longer buy specific presents for each of us. He’d always ask what we actually bought with it but, at least in my case, I’d never tell him. I was expecting the same as the previous year and that was $50 so I didn’t bother to open the envelope. The last envelope was for Jan who appeared from her room just in time. I was amazed at how nice she looked in the fancy blouse and a plain gray wool skirt. She’d also done something with her hair which added to her “look”. When my grandfather called her over for her envelope she was embarrassed. I’d not anticipated him including her. After giving her the invitation, to join the family for Christmas I explained what she could expect and that wasn’t part of it. I was happy for her especially after how long it had taken for my grandfather to accept her.

Jan and her sister insisted that they help my mother getting the food ready. My brother finally showed up about a half hour before we were to eat. I was in a position to see my grandfather’s face when he appeared. It was clear that my grandfather wasn’t too pleased with him. In a selfish way I was hoping that my brother wouldn’t get his envelope... but he did.

With two “strangers”, dinner was a little awkward at first but everybody soon melded in. I kept taking peeks at Jan but she seemed to avoid looking my way. I was a bit surprised since she’d had a nice smile on her face when she’d walked past me when showing off her new blouse. At least she wasn’t making faces at me. Tradition in our family was that the dessert served at both Thanksgiving and Christmas was home made mince meat pie. It was a recipe handed down for generations and something that you had to acquire a taste for. Watching both Jan and her sister take their first bites was definitely a Kodak moment although no one had a camera. However, they survived. With the kids occupied with their new toys the rest of us sat around and talked. Most of it focused on Jan and Janice’s memories from their Christmases as children. It was eye opening for me as they didn’t get much in the way of toys and the clothes they received were plain and functional. Hearing that I felt very good about my desire to get Jan some “special” things.

Elle wanted to get the kids home at a reasonable hour since they’d been up since around 7am and without a nap. I was proud of them as their behavior was, for the most part, exemplary. I was a bit torn about wanting a few seconds with Jan or not. When it didn’t happen I’ll admit I was relieved. Unrealistic as it was I was hoping to find out if she’d actually worn the fancy panties along with the slip and blouse. After loading the presents into the station wagon we then said our “good byes”. When I bent over to kiss my grandfather and to thank him for the envelope he tried to put something into my shirt pocket. When I got it in my hand I asked what it was and he just told me to get going and waved me away. I knew better than to fight him so walked away with a smile. Not wanting to bring attention to it I stuffed it in my pocket and headed out.

It had been a long, but good, day for all of us. After getting the kids to sleep I was ready for bed myself. It was when I was taking my pants off that I remembered the thing my grandfather had tried to put in my pocket. Elle was washing up in the bathroom when I fished it out. When I saw what it was it just about took my breath away. It was a check for $250. I didn’t understand it. I’d gotten my envelope along with everybody else but hadn't looked in it and immediately wanted to know what was in it. Both Elle’s and my envelopes were still in the bags containing the gifts from my parents so, after rooting around in them I found both. Mine held a brand new $50 bill and Elle’s a new $20 and a $5. I stood there questioning the meaning of the check until Elle called me. As I walked down the hall I made a quick decision that I wasn’t going to mention the check.

To be continued...   

4 comments:

badside said...

$250, I imagine that was an huge amount of money back then. Race car money perhaps?! Hope Jan models the panties and new slip for you later!

Pantymaven said...

That and the other $50 was more than my net pay for three weeks of work. It was HUGE!

oldblue said...

The new engine is paid for. You have to have a set like basketballs to leave panties for a gift to a girl you really don't know. Can't imagine what the wife would have said if she found out. Don't you think most women would have been creeped out?

Pantymaven said...

OB... you're onto something. BUT, just wait bit... :-)