Wednesday, June 27, 2012

YEAR END IN SIGHT... (part 93f)

My preoccupation with wondering if Jan had worn the fancy panties was displaced with planning what to do with the $250. First on the list was to give a fair amount to Bags to pay for the motor for the race car. I wanted to get started on building it and “Crash” had told me that he wasn’t going to touch it until Bags gave him the “word”. By the time I fell asleep I’d spent the whole thing and more. The next day I made a quick trip at lunchtime over to my grandfather’s to not only thank him for his generous gift but also to find out what had prompted it. He got all emotional saying that he very much appreciated my taking the time to come over to visit with him and to take him to the hospital. He made a caustic comment about how my brother seemed to avoid him. I chose to keep my mouth shut on that subject and told him I’d see him on Sunday.

It wasn’t until I got back to work and saw a nice VPL from a woman while on break that my thoughts went back to Jan. Then it came to me that I’d had a perfect opportunity to check Jan’s lingerie drawer or her wash to see if she’d worn the panties. I wanted to kick myself. Try as I might I couldn’t come up with a plausible reason to go back over to my grandfather’s house while Jan wasn't there. I finally gave up and figured that it didn’t matter in the long run.

As usual, I showed up after church on Sunday to take my grandfather to see my grandmother. We usually got there at noon or a little later. My grandmother’s condition had deteriorated to the point that she was a “vegetable”, not able to communicate in any way. It was really sad. My grandfather would sit in his wheelchair and hold her hand for about a half hour. I’d just sit and watch unless Cammy, her nurse, happened by. She was always good for a VPL plus a bit of conversation. As she walked out the door I saw Jan standing there. I waved for her to come in but she shook her head in a negative way motioning for me to step out in the hall. This was a real surprise. But the shock was yet to come.

From the time I’d first met her and in all the time I’d been around her I don’t think either of us had touched. So, I was totally unprepared for her to grab one of my hands with both of hers. It wasn’t just a light hold but was rather strong. Then she started talking. Basically what she had to say was the she really appreciated what my family had done for her by inviting her to join in celebrating Christmas. But she went further saying that she now understood what I’d meant that night when I’d asked about “special” days. The gifts and invitation, indeed, had made it a special day and for her to feel special. I thought she was done at that point but then she told me that when she’d found the package with the panties she'd been really upset. She thought I was “strange” and didn’t know what to make of it. However, with the present of the fancy blouse and slip she, more or less, understood. By this time I was perspiring and I really don’t remember what my mealy mouth response was. As surprised as I was for what had just transpired I certainly wasn’t expecting the kiss she planted on my cheek. With that she let go of my hand and turned to walk away. As she did she really made my day when she said something along the lines of “... and I did wear the pants” (She’d always called them underpants in my presence)

That night when the phone rang it was almost 10pm. My first thought was that my grandmother had died but it was Jan. Now my concern jumped to my grandfather. It was neither so, still a bit paranoid about the gift of the panties, I figured it had to do with them. When she asked if someone could look after my grandfather on New Years Eve I was so relieved that I said yes without thinking. Brig (Buddah) had asked her out. It took a few seconds for me to put all the pieces together and when I did realized that I’d committed to go to the farewell party for Eric, my racing helper and neighbor. I kind of hemmed and hawed for a few seconds and then told her that I’d get back to her with the details.

Eric’s party was to start early and Elle really didn’t know any of his Air Force buddies so when I told her that we’d just make an appearance she was happy. All I had to do was get over to my grandfather’s by 9pm. I confirmed it all with Jan and she said that it was perfect as Brig was going to pick her up at 9pm. I decided to try and get there a bit early to meet him again since he and Bags (and Ricky) were friends and I wanted to solidify myself within that whole group.

For a girl who’d told me that there were no “special” times in her life she sure looked special when I saw her that night. I recognized the blouse but with a really different hairdo she looked really good. Before I could start to visualize her wearing the fancy panties Brig arrived. It was a bit awkward at first probably because he hadn’t expected to see me or anyone else. Racing talk cut through that but Jan quickly ended it. I told him that I looked forward the racing season and was sure that we’d meet up again. I remember Jan smiling when I said that. After they left I closed out the year with three games of dominoes with my grandfather. It would only be an hour before a brand new year would be here.

To be continued...
 

1 comment:

badside said...

LOL, good thing your mom gave Jan that blouse and slip, got you out of a jam! And it's looking like the race car is gonna happen too!