Friday, March 07, 2014

WINDING DOWN SUMMER... into Autumn (Part 121i)

WINDING DOWN SUMMER...into Autumn (Part 121i)

It was hard not to think about Peggy and her family during the work day. Elle and I had taken a real liking to her and I considered James to be a friend. I hated that she’d done something so rash. Even though there was nothing I could do about the situation I did want to let James know that I (and Elle) had him in our prayers. Speaking of prayers, Celia also needed some TLC after the funeral. She was never one to ask much of us, choosing to be a quiet neighbor. When Elle hadn’t seen her for a few days she went over to check on her. That in itself was a major step for Elle. She’d never been able to handle being around people with physical handicaps so had avoided going inside the house. When she went to check on Celia that day it was the first time she’d ever been inside. When Elle told me about her visit she was still a bit shaken. The kitchen was a mess with dishes and pots stacked in the sink. Celia looked liked she’d slept in her clothes and Sophie didn’t look much better. Sophie did come over to Elle to give her a hug and Elle said she could tell that she’d not been washed in a while and that she was definitely wet. The problem was that without her husband Celia was lost. Even though he couldn’t so anything of a physical nature he did run the household. From what Elle told me Celia didn’t have any idea about money. Elle asked her if she could go to relatives for help and she just shrugged her shoulders. Now it was Elle who was lost, not knowing what to say of do.

Before going back home Elle did help Celia to get Sophie cleaned up. In the process Celia asked about the clothes Sophie’d been wearing when she'd come home from the hospital. Elle had dressed her in some of her old cotton slacks and put her in a ”package” to keep them dry. Celia didn’t understand why Sophie had on multiple panties, sanitary pads (since she didn’t have her period) and wondered about the plastic panties. Although Elle had told any number of people about her incontinence, it was never easy. She explained the why and how of the “package” and in doing it tried not to be judgmental about Celia’s allowing Sophie to pretty much run around wet. I think it was a couple of days later that Celia called to say she was going to visit a sister who lived in New Jersey. To Elle, that was a positive step

It was around the same time that I ran into Big B at the post office. He’d gone to the stock car races a few times and really liked what he saw. So much so that he said he wanted to get a car and asked if I’d help him with it. I’m a pretty “upfront” guy and to the extent that it sometimes would get me in trouble. This was one of those times. Here I was looking at a 300+ pound guy who wanted to drive a racecar. I actually laughed out loud... and quickly saw that he wasn’t kidding. The season was over so there wasn’t any pressure to do anything immediately. After apologizing I did say that it was a good time to try and locate cars that were for sale as the season was over. Racers who had plans to build new cars would often sell their existing cars to get needed cash to start on their new project. We probably talked for half an hour and he said he’d get back to me. I wasn’t expecting it to be the next day.

Big B had become friends with my old raceing friend, Cliffy. The first place he went after talking with me was to the garage where Cliffy worked and worked on his racecar. As enthusiastic as he was about getting started he was still frugal enough to have a budget. The class of racecar that Cliffy raced was the top division. Cliffy was willing to sell it but the asking price was way too much. However, his father had built a car for Cliffy’s brother-in-law. He raced it a few times but being a racecar driver wasn’t for him. After he quit Cliffy raced it a few times and, ironically, I’d actually raced against him and the car. At the end of the season the car had been put out behind their repair shop and hadn’t been touched since. Cliffy suggested Big B buy that, the only caveat being there was no motor to go with it. I told “B” that I was positive the car had never been wrecked so that part was good but buying a motor might be a problem. As he hung up the phone he sounded happy.

Elle wanted to know what was going on. The phone in our house was in the main hallway so there really wasn’t any privacy when using it. I’ve never been a good liar especially when confronted with facts or something close to it. Over the years she’d picked up some racing terminology and there was no denying I’d been using some of those terms when talking to “B”. She knew him a bit from high school and we’d used his sailboat so she was familiar with him. There was no point in lying but I made the decision to give her just some of the facts. I had no idea where “B’s” dream was going so told her that he was interested in getting into racing and had asked me for advice. I could see the look on her face displayed the same feelings I had when “B” had told me... only without the laughing.

I hadn’t even eaten my breakfast that Saturday when I saw Big B’s car pull up in front of the garage. Without thinking I invited him in somehow forgetting that Elle was still in her shorty nightie and wearing her “package”. She was in the dining  room setting up for Anne’s 6th birthday party. “B” was still in the doorway when Elle appeared. The look on “B’s” face coincided with the shriek that came from Elle’s mouth. She was gone form sight by the time I turned around but I knew I’d get an earful after “B” left. He was really excited. He’d come to a price agreement on the racecar and had the cash to pay for it. However, he didn’t have a hitch on his car and knew I did. He wanted me to help him get the car. I really didn’t want to face Elle to tell her I was leaving so just yelled up the stairs to her. I got no response.

The car was in relatively good shape. After looking it over I couldn’t see much that had to be done to it to put it out on the track... other than getting a motor. Cliffy helped us get the racecar hitched up and we were soon off to “B’s” parents house with it. I knew they had no garage so asked where he planned to work on it. He told me he was working on a deal to use the garage owned by the parents of Jon (the milkman/school board member) who were only Summer residents. “B” told me that he’d bought an old pot bellied stove to heat the place. It became obvious that he’d done a lot of thinking about getting involved in racing. By the time we pulled into his parents yard I was excited too.

To be continued...   
   

No comments: