Tuesday, April 23, 2019

INTO SUMMER... a busy time (Part 173b)

INTO SUMMER… a busy time (Part173b)

It was too early in her recovery to even think about having ‘extra curricular’ fun but I knew it wouldn’t be too long. I also knew we would have to be extra careful moving forward. Without drawing out the subject we’d both come to the conclusion that the family that we already had would be enough. One thing I remember about that night was that, in bed, we snuggled for quite a while. Sometimes, silence say it all.

There are no notes in the day timer about my day at work. I have no idea why. I did go to the garage that night as Dick had called asking for a ride. It’s somewhat funny that when he’d call and ask for a ride Elle didn’t have much to say. At the shop we got an update from Cliffy that the motor ran well with the proper oil pressure. That confirmed that the new bearings had been spun in correctly. If they hadn’t there would’ve been a drop in the pressure and we’d have to do it all over again. There wasn’t anything to do to get the car ready so we left and I was home around 9pm, making Elle happy. She’d talked with my mother about out arrival time the next day and they’d settled on 11am. In passing, Elle told me that the son of one of my mother's best girl friends from high school would be there with his girl friend. Without mentioning names I immediately knew who it was. His mother was a successful children’s book author and the father was the illustrator. But the son was ‘different’, and always had been. I hadn’t seen him for probably over 15 years. One memory I had of him was when visiting them when I was in fifth grade. His father was concerned that Patrick wasn’t showing interest in things that most boys his age were. Just before we came to their house the father had bought boxing gloves and was pushing him to be more aggressive. He wanted me to box his son and I wanted no part of it as Patrick had been taking lessons. The reason I remember it so vividly was that after but a few minutes he was crying and ran out of the garage looking for his mother. It was the only time in my life I had on boxing gloves. So, with that as my main memory of him and some passing comments by my mother about him being “different” I was more than a little concerned. I had no idea of what her definition of different was and really wasn’t looking forward to finding out.

That little surprise had Elle a bit concerned about what to wear. We’d told my mother we’d only be staying until mid afternoon as I had to go to the fireworks display as the bank’s representative. She didn’t pick up on it like I thought she might and suggest Elle and the kids stay later. However, with guests at their house and Elle’s incontinence I suggested she just wear a bathing suit and a beach cover up. That way an occasional visit into the bay would serve to ‘cover’ the incontinence. She bought it but, as usual, she still wore a pair of panties under the suit.

It took but a few seconds to see which kind of ‘different’ Patrick was… a hippie… as was his girlfriend. Our area had escaped the trend, at least the ‘locals’ had, and our exposure to it was mostly TV news coverage, pictures in newspapers and magazines... and an occasional tourist. Well, Patrick fit that description, for sure. I’m not sure how long it’d been since he’d had a haircut and shave. His girlfriend, Joy (not her real name as she’d changed it to fit her new lifestyle) had hair down to her waist and was braless. That was easy to see as her blouse/top was nothing more than multi colored gauze wrapped over her shoulders much like a shawl. On the lower part, around her hip, it appeared to be a mini skirt made of something like burlap. They were helping my father set up his charcoal grill with my mother nowhere in sight. I remember getting out of the car and looking at the faces on my girls as they stared at them. I could only imagine what my mother thaught when she saw them the first time.

I remember walking up to Patrick and putting out my hand to shake his but he didn’t respond. Joy just stood there with her nipples showing through the gauze. I didn’t know what to say or do after being somewhat rebuffed by Patrick. I turned around looking for Elle but she was still getting beach things from the back of the station wagon. When she finally started in our direction I was looking at her face and it was a classic in disbelief. From that point on I didn’t know what to expect. As it turned out, my mother had had a bit of an ‘episode’ after greeting the two of them. They came on the 6pm train the night before and my father had picked them up at the station. Upon arriving at the house my mother was waiting on the porch and when she saw the two of them ran back in the house and poured herself a drink… and then had quite a few more. Now it was after 11am and she still hadn’t come down from her bedroom.

I couldn’t think of anything to start a conversation with so turned to Elle and suggested that we go out to the beach even without introducing her to the two of them. It was just plain bizarre. Patrick was almost mute even when my father asked him to help with the charcoal. Joy just stood there with her head cocked to one side like she taking in some thrilling event. Elle took the kids out to the beach and I followed. I helped her set up the beach towels and put the beach umbrella up just wishing that I wasn’t there. The older girls had been to sailing lessons for the previous two day and were somewhat used to the cold bay water but Kaye wanted no part of it. Elle made it out to mid calf and that was as far as she wanted to go. By then Patrick and Joy had made their way to the stairs down to the beach. I watched as Joy came down the five steps to the beach with Patrick holding on to the stair rail like he’d fall over if he let go of it. Elle asked Joy if she’d like to sit on one of the beach towels and she nodded affirmatively. I watched as she lowered herself down to it, sitting yoga style. At that point in my life I’d not heard the term “going commando” but as I stood there there was nothing covering her ‘privates’. You probably won’t believe this but I didn’t find it sexy at all. I was concerned that my girls would see what I could see and wanted to make sure they didn’t… and I didn’t know how. Elle was sitting with Kaye snuggled up to her. That was her shyness showing through. But it also took care of one of the girls. I walked out into the water to try and keep their attention from Joy. I have no recollection of how long I was standing there but I remember beginning to lose feeling in my toes. I kept turning around to see if anything had changed with Joy’s position. Finally, I heard Patrick calling her and watched as she stood up and then climb the steps. My toes actually hurt when I was walking back up the beach to Elle. We were both shaking our heads when I heard my father calling asking what we all wanted for lunch… hot dogs or hamburgers. What I wanted to say was that we wanted to go home. When we were walking up the steps I told Elle what I’d observed about Joy. She didn’t believe me… but I know what I saw!

To be continued…

No comments: