Monday, April 15, 2019

MAKING PROGRESS... of sorts (Part 172ii)

MAKING PROGRESS… of sorts (Part 172ii)

By the time I arrived home Elle’s mother had gone. I saw three people sitting in the screened in porch and it took a walk in that direction for me to recognize both Mattie and Martha. Once I did I turned back towards the playhouse and saw five kids playing in and around it. It was hard to tell Elle’s feelings about my lateness with visitors present. The two woman made ready to leave but I sort of pleaded with them to stay saying I had to get changed. When I did Elle piped up that my dinner was in the oven so I took that as a positive sign. I chose to eat alone leaving the three of them to continue their talk. It was Mattie that came inside to fetch me and told me she could see Elle was getting tired. I found out from her that Elle’s mother had stayed to cook supper and then had sent one of the girls over to see if someone could come over to stay with Elle until I got home. I thanked her for being a good neighbor and as she turned to go back out to the porch I took a look at her backside. As I’ve written, Mattie was a bit overweight and that added weight made the shorts she was wearing a bit tight… and made the VPL noticeable as she walked away. It, again, reminded me that there was two months more of Summer and, hopefully, many more chances for peeks and views.

With the women gone meant I was alone with Elle. My observation was the same as Mattie’s, that Elle was getting tired. Surprisingly, she didn’t comment on my lateness. She had me call the girls in and then asked for me to help her up the stairs to get ready for bed. She was wearing a housecoat which conveniently hid her “package”. It was too early for the girls to go to bed so I had them get some games to play out on the porch as I guided Elle up the stairs. We hadn’t had an opportunity to talk about her incontinence since she’d been home but as I helped her change her ‘package” I asked if she’d seen any difference over the past few days. As her pregnancy advanced so had her incontinence. We talked about it a bit and I remembered Elle saying that her friend, Ginger, had experienced the same sort of thing. After the baby was born, her’s had gone back to where it had been prior to the pregnancy. Elle was hoping for the same thing. She accepted the level that she was experiencing prior to the pregnancy but wearing a ‘package’ all the time was getting to her. Her answer to me was to shake her head from side to side. I tried to offset that by saying it was really too early to tell and that her whole ’system’ was readjusting. Before leaving her we went over what was to happen the next day. She said she wanted to take “baby steps” getting back into a normal routine. She did say she wanted to attempt to make breakfast which I took as a positive. Mattie and Martha had invited her and the kids over for lunch so that was taken care of. I suggested pizza for dinner and that made her smile.

Even though my focus was on Elle I didn’t let thoughts of the bank get put aside. I‘d gotten to know the night desk sergeant at the police station a bit so gave him a call. He told me both cops had called in at 9pm and there was no activity at all. I asked if I was bothering him by calling in and he laughed saying he’d happily take any call that wasn’t an emergency. The rest of the evening was quiet for me and I took advantage of it. I called the garage to see how things were going with the race car. I wasn’t expecting to hear Dick tell me that the motor was f____d up. My quiet evening was no longer. Short story… we always changed the oil after each race night. In doing it Cliffy wanted it to drain it through one of the filters used to strain the paint they use on cars. When they did they saw all kinds of “shiny stuff”. I knew that wasn’t good and asked what they were doing. He told me that Cliffy and Alan were dropping the oil pan to check both the rod and main bearings. I asked him to call me after they got into taking some of the bearing caps off and he said he would. When I hung up I was on edge thinking the worst. He called around 11pm. I remember as the news was just coming on the TV. The early prognosis was there was no permanent damage to the crankshaft. The “shiny stuff” was from the bearings but none that they’d seen had worn enough of it away to cause any harm. He said they were about to leave the shop and would tackle the problem the next night. Another somewhat sleepless night.

There had been no problem at the bank. The vault people were there when I arrived and were putting the mechanisms back in place. The head guy said it was a spring clip that had broken and a piece of it had gotten jammed in a small set of gears. He told me they’d replaced all the clips so that shouldn’t be a problem in the future. That was good news and I hoped it was a positive omen for the day. Lobby traffic had dropped off some which gave all of us a chance to breathe. I called Elle to see how she was doing and I could hear some cheeriness in her voice. I reminded her to take it easy and her vow to take “baby steps”. As soon as I said the words I got worried… I'd mentioned the word "baby" and immediately wanted to kick myself. However, I didn’t hear a reaction in her voice. She seemed anxious to go over to the neighbors for lunch. She’d not been in the house since it was sold and hadn’t seen the changes. I told her I’d call before leaving that afternoon and would pick up the pizza. So, that call was the second piece of good news. Since both good and bad news comes in threes (most times) I was looking for a positive sign in the afternoon. It came in the form of a call from Stan over at the stock brokerage office. The cash was in my account for the stock I’d recently sold and he wanted to know if I had any plans for it. I hated the thought of the money just sitting there not earning any interest. I told him I didn’t have time to do any reading about potential purchases and told him I’d run over and get a check. I’d only taken a few minutes to wolf down a sandwich from the luncheonette so with little lobby traffic I headed for their office.

Lynda’s space was just inside the front door and immediately to the right. As always, after entering, my eyes went in that direction. Lynda and Ruthe technically shared the same space but they had low, two drawer file cabinets put in place to separate them. Lynda much preferred to wheel herself from place to place in her chair rather than to get up. As I turned my head to look for her I got my third positive thing of the day. To propel herself and the chair she would use her feet to push herself in the direction she desired to go and at that very minute she was moving towards the cabinets with her back to them but with her head turned towards them… and her legs splayed apart. Closing my eyes as I write this I can still see the image clearly. There had to be a spread of 12 to 15 inches between her knees and, for me, a perfect crotch view. It only lasted for a few seconds, maybe three or four, but it was perfect. I stopped and watched as she reached the cabinets and turned the chair to face them. I was relieved that she hadn’t seen me but, based upon some of the ‘free shows’ she’d given me in the past I’m not sure why. When she finally saw me she smiled and wheeled herself back to her desk and gave me an envelope with my check. I’d gotten my three positive things for the day.

To be continued…

No comments: