Sunday, April 07, 2019

MAKING PROGRESS... of sorts (Part 173ee)

MAKING PROGRESS… of sorts (Part 172ee)

By the time I got to Mattie and Martha’s, Kaye, the youngest was asleep. I hated to wake her up but I knew there was no way I could carry her and get through the opening in the hedge without waking her up. Being that it was dark, Mattie volunteered to go with the other two. I thanked her again and focused on getting them all ready for bed. With them headed for their grandmother’s in the morning until Elle got back home I had to get clothes ready to go with them. While doing it, Jean, the oldest wanted to know if she could go to see her mother. Writing this today, it’s hard to remember that back in those days hospitals had some very stringent rules as to visitations (strict hours and no minors) and very limited telephone access to and from the patients. When I told her they wouldn't allow it she asked about calling her. All calls coming in had to go through a PBX switchboard and an operator like we had at the bank when I started. Outgoing calls were limited to just a few lines and sometimes the patients had to wait to get one. So, I told her we’d try. It was obvious she was concerned.

Thursday was pretty much of a ‘blur’ highlighted by the fact it was the first day of the 'busy period
. It started off badly with a call from Trish saying that she’d be in late. She, from time to time, had to battle migrane headaches and they were usually in conjunction with her period. She had special medication that required her to rest for a few hours in darkness after taking it. With her out it put a real burden on Bret and I. The one incident that I remember, vividly, was when one of the local attorneys came in to get some information for one of his clients. The attorney told me that Trish had been working on collecting deposit information for him. With Trish out and being the only one with knowledge on the matter put me in a bit of bind. The only thing I could think of was to go through the drawers of her desk. I hated doing that but I also knew the influence that the attorney wielded so started in by opening the top right hand drawer. I knew from having watched her clear her desk at night that was where she put her current projects. When I opened the drawer I saw a file folder with the name of the lawyer’s client written on it. I reached in to pull it out and knew immediately that I'd pulled something cloth like along with it. I put the folder on the desk and immediately saw that what I’d also grabbed was a pair of panties.

Trish was a bit of an enigma to me and had been since I started with the bank. It took a bit of time to ‘win her over’ which when it happened proved beneficial to me from a work standpoint. She had also baffled me with her ability to keep me from getting panty peeks… or even VPL’s. She was not pretty by any means but far from ugly. From time to time I’d seriously wondered if I’d ever get a chance to see anything of interest. Never did I ever even think of not only seeing a pair of her panties but touching them as well. However, this was not the time or place to dwell on it. I quickly swept the panties back into the drawer and closed it, returning to my desk and the attorney. I showed him what Trish had managed to pull out and he was pleased saying it was exactly what he needed. He did ask a question I couldn’t answer and that was when could he expect the rest. I explained about Trish’s absence and that it was the first day of the ‘busy period’. I remember him trying to pin me down saying he needed it by July first. I remember standing up and shaking his hand, trying to encourage him to leave. I wanted to get back over to Trish’s desk drawer. I had no idea when, or if, Trish would appear and I wanted to get a close look at those panties. I waited until Bret went to one of the tellers before I slipped into her seat. I opened the drawer and grabbed the little pile of white material that was right there. I pulled them out and almost choked when I saw something white right under them. I leaned over and saw the waistband elastic of another pair of panties. As it turned out that was a very good thing.

From her desk I headed right for the bathroom that was right there. The only problem with that was the light in there was very poor. It was so poor that if you took something in with you to read it was almost impossible to make out what it was. In any case, the panties weren’t nylon which surprised me. The material was synthetic but seemed a little coarse. The waist elastic was one I wasn’t familiar with which added to the intrigue. The label was located in the middle of the back just like the Carter’s Spanky Pants that Elle used for her ‘package’ at night. I had a hard time reading the maker but finally made out one word… Sears. I was really nervous about getting them back into the desk drawer and on my way remembered the other pair still in the drawer. The panties in my hand were all scrunched up and I realized I had to try and fold them up so Trish wouldn’t know they’d been touched. Bret was back at his desk and I was sure he’d ask what I was doing but I didn’t have any choice. I reached in and took a quick look at how the other one was folded. With the panties in my lap but under the knee hole I tried to fold them somewhat the same way and then put them both back… and took a deep breath. Trish arrived before noon and as far as I could tell never saw that the panties had been touched. The whole thing left me wondering why they were there in the first place.

As I remember it (my Day Timer entries were very cryptic for that day) Lynda, from the stock broker’s office called early that afternoon. As I’ve said any number of times in these posts, “timing is everything”… and her timing wasn’t the best. Cheerful, as usual, she had a message from Stan, her boss and my broker. I had a small position in a paper company and he thought it was time to get out of it. I hated doing something without doing research or getting a reason so asked why. She, not realizing how busy I was, told me to come on over. I reacted in a way I regretted… telling her I was way too busy for that. The next thing I heard was the click of the receiver being hung up. That was something I sincerely didn’t want happening so made a point of planning to squeeze in a few minutes to visit and apologize after 3pm.

I tried calling Elle once in the morning but her roommate said she’d been taken by the nurses to have a procedure performed. I knew she was to have it so wasn’t worried. When I tried again in the afternoon the roommate said she was asleep. At least I had a witness to stand up for me for later when I showed up and she’d ask why I didn’t call. While at it I managed to call the Florist and had them make up a bouquet for me to pick up and take that evening. he whole day had been just one thing after another and when it was time to lock the vault Bret and I couldn’t get the secondary lock pin to engage. That was the exclamation point for the day. On my way home I stopped over to the broker’s office and apologized to Lynda. I wasn’t going to tell her about losing the baby but I had to have some reason for why I’d been so ’short’ with her. I got a typical female response even though she didn’t know Elle, saying that she hoped that it wouldn’t be a problem for us going forward. I didn’t dare tell her that I was already over it or she would’ve been really upset with me. The end result was I told her to go ahead and sell the stock she'd called me about. Then, it was on to the Florist and to the hospital.

To be continued…

No comments: