Friday, July 06, 2007

INTO THE "HEAT" OF SUMMER... (Part 25b)

The next day I discovered that my best friend Cliffy (who I failed to mention earlier had joined the Navy soon after graduation) was home on extended leave soon after arriving at work. He and two of his Navy buddies stopped by and wanted to get together that night “for old times sake”. Of course I wanted to see him so that precluded my quest to see Elle. He and his buddies had signed up for a hardship tour of duty which earned them extra leave. Cliffy had wanted to use the time to drive his father’s racecar. But, because they (the car and driver) were racing for the track championship, his father had said “no”. But, he’d been told that if he could find an old racecar for the right price that he could drive that. So, that night the four of us went on a mission to find a car for him. Because I’d been at the track for a month I pretty much knew those people who had cars but weren’t currently racing. Around 10pm or so we found one that didn’t need too much work and had a reasonable price. For Cliffy it was a profitable night. For me, even thought it was good to see him again, it left me pretty much down. I wanted to race so badly and just couldn’t afford to. Seeing cars that were capable of racing while mine was wrecked, hurt.

I’d switched off with Tony so didn’t have to go in until 10am. I hoped that I could catch Elle before that. I waited until I saw the shade go up in her bedroom and then waited some more until I saw her mother drive off to work before going over. To say my heart was pounding would be to put it mildly. I remember thinking I could feel it actually pounding in my chest as I stood at the screen door. I knocked and, Elle, not realizing it was me, started towards the door from the kitchen. As soon as she saw who it was she stopped. I don’t remember the words but I know I was pleading with her to at least come over to the door. I said my apology through the screen door. I remember that it was hard to see her expression because of where she was standing and the sun on the screen. It was awkward, for sure. When she didn’t respond verbally, I pleaded with her to at least say something. Finally she pushed the door open and I walked in. I remember that she had on a short summer night gown and when she walked over to the daybed that served as a couch I could see right through it. When she finally started talking it was to chastize me for a lot of things that I’d done that annoyed her. It sure took me by surprise. I really didn’t have much to say in response. (1).

Before I knew it the phone was ringing. It was my mother saying that the gas station had called wondering where I was. When I left Elle I didn’t really know if she’d accepted my apology or not but I did know that Carol was coming to pick Elle up to meet with her parents. I just didn’t know how to procede from there.

Carol solved that problem by stopping by the gas station while Elle was with her parents. She suggested that I find an excuse to visit Elle at the drug store that afternoon and that I bring some sort of present. I had no idea of what to bring but Carol had indicated that Elle would be receptive to seeing me. There weren’t a lot of choices for presents in our little town so I was left to struggle with that. A rain storm hit in mid afternoon forcing us to shut the car wash down. I took that as a “sign“ to take off and see Elle. When I climbed into my car I noticed some trash on the floor. It was for a Baby Ruth candy bar. Elle had an affinity for them and seeing the wrapper solved my problem. As strange as it may seem today but Drug stores didn’t sell candy in those days. A soda fountain and ice cream... yes. But candy? No. Around the corner was, believe it or not, a ”cigar store“. It sold all kinds of things... newspapers, magazines, candy, paper products, cigarettes and... cigars. I headed there and bought 5 of the Baby Ruth candy bars. The owners‘s wife waited on me and I asked her if she had a small piece of ribbon. When I explained what I wanted it for she took them from me and disappeared into the back of the store. When she returned they were all tied together and there was a bow on the top. I asked her how much it cost and she handed it to me and smiled.

I’ll bet I paced back and forth in front of the drug store at least three times. From the street I couldn’t see but a small part of the counter where Elle worked so I wasn’t even sure she was there when I walked in. I felt better immediately because she smiled as soon as she saw me. When I pulled the package out from behind me she actually giggled. I was glad that there were no customers in the store at all. I walked to the open end of the counter to hand the candy to her and she gave me a peck on the cheek. It was progress! But it still was awkward. The owner, the pharmacist, was in the back so I hesitated to respond physically, even though I wanted to. Of course I was interested to find out what had transpired with her meeting with Carol’s parents but didn’t dare to ask. When the first customer walked in I took my leave, promising to pick her up at 6pm.

As I drove back to work I felt the best I had in a long time. I couldn’t wait until work was over. Not knowing how I stood with Elle, I’d told Cliffy I’d go to the races with him that night. At that moment my priority was Elle so had to face telling Cliffy that I wasn’t going to the races. As it was still raining I started praying that it would continue. It did. Whew!

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

Another enjoyable read! Reminds me of things that have happened with my past GFs too!