Sunday, July 06, 2008

SIGNS OF SPRING... and better times (Part 32f)

Time flies when you’re having fun, or so they say. I don’t know how long our "conversation” took but never once did Elle bring up the subject of needing a bathroom even though she had originally gotten up to go there. When we stood up to give each other a big kiss and hug I honestly don’t know when the “flood” started but I could hear her pee splashing on the concrete steps. She never let go of me or stopped kissing. It was certainly a unique situation. As I remember it, my thoughts were only on one thing and that was that Elle had accepted the idea of us being apart for the Summer without a fuss. I’d worked myself up to a point that I was sure there would be a “scene“, but it wasn’t to be. I have no idea how long we stood there kissing before Elle finally pulled away. I do remember she had a somewhat sheepish grin on her face and said something about being a bad girl. That brought me back to the present and looking at the puddle beneath her did excite me. Other than her socks being wet there was no evidence on her clothes. We picked up our books and headed back to the Sorority.

I don’t remember any conversation taking place concerning her ”accident“. I do remember us deciding that I wouldn’t come over the next weekend though. With exams less than two weeks away Elle didn’t want any distractions, even though I wouldn’t see her until we got home. I thought that with this new twist and the fact that I wouldn’t see her very much until we got back to school she would relent but she didn't. That put a little damper on my euphoria and I don’t remember much happening, other than studying, the rest of the afternoon.

At midnight, the day before final exams started, was the time for ”The Call“, where our poker group disbanded and everybody had to pay up. I knew I was in good shape but until all the chits were tallied I didn’t know by how much. One of the group, Rodger, was a nice guy but not all that bright. We pretty much knew he was the big looser but had no idea it was as bad as it was. Even though it had been a penny ante game we didn’t have limits on raising and Rodger got caught time and time again. Around the table it ended up that he owed over $300. That, in 1957, was a LOT of money! When the individual tally was made known, he owed me over $125. That left him owing over $175 to all the others. He just shook his head and threw the keys to his car on the table.

I had coveted his car right from the first time I saw it. It was a 1951 Mercury two door sedan with some custom work and multiple carburators. I know, for sure, that my brain wasn’t connected to my mouth because I told him I’d take the car and pay off all the others if that was OK by him. I had no idea what the car was worth or, more importantly, where I was going to come up with roughly $175 before exams were over but I had a handshake deal on the car.

Sometimes help appears from out of nowhere. When I called to tell my father that I was definitely going to work with the horses that Summer he asked if I would be willing to sell my car to my brother. He had just turned 16 and had just gotten his license. My father was concerned that my car was somewhat at risk to be on the road for long distances and, since my brother wouldn’t be going all that far, it was a good fit for him. I couldn’t believe it. My money problem was solved without me doing anything. Without telling him the source of my new car I told him that I had a replacement in mind. It was truly a miracle.

Originally, the only reason I had to go home after exams was to pick up my car for the Summer (and to see Elle). Now, with a car at hand, I came up with an idea that would give me more time with Elle. We'd both had to find and pay for rides to get home and now, with me having a car, we could both save money and I could be with her on the drive home. Exams couldn’t be over fast enough!

It was a good thing Elle had made me study when we had been together because any chance I had for passing had to be due to that. Knowing that she was finished her exams the day before I was was disconcerting to me for some reason. I rushed through the last exam and took off well before the time limit was up. I was packed and ready to go and, when I arrived at Elle’s sorority, so was she. It was about a seven hour trip and because we left Elle’s school about mid afternoon it put us at the city just after rush hour. I made two stops for Elle before we got there and she did have on a ”package“ just in case. Her improved ”holding” ability was evident because she was still dry when we pulled into her driveway. I had no problems with my “new” car so, all in all it was a good trip. The only thing was that I had to turn around and head back in a day and a half.

There were a lot of things we had to accomplish in the short time I was to be home. Telling her parents we were engaged was probably the easiest. Telling mine was a little more difficult. I won’t waste time in explaining why but “take it to the bank“ when I say it was. Another thing was getting squared away with the racecar. Cliff, the driver, had secured a sponsorship that gave us enough money to buy a competitive racecar. But, with me not going to be around meant not being able to count on me for money when he needed it. For the first Summer in my memory, my brother was going to home and not at either a camp or Summer school. I approached him about ”buying“ my share of the car. He didn’t have any money but, knowing that he had our father wrapped around his finger, I told him to ask him. Long story short, my father said yes. I didn’t get anything (think $$) but at least I was released from having to pay any money out during the racing season. Truthfully, I was pissed!. Now my brother had not only a street car but also a racecar and he hadn’t put any of his own money into either. But I didn't dwell on it.

To be continued...

2 comments:

badside said...

Ha, that's pretty cool! Wish I could say I won a car in a card game.

Pantymaven said...

... part of a car. I still had to come up with the cash. :-)