Thursday, July 17, 2008

SUMMER... and a whole new life (Part 33b)

Because it hadn’t been too long since I’d seen Joanne and had told her I’d take her sailing, that was something I thought about as I faced my first real day off. Sundays around the track were pretty laid back as there was no racing. You had your usual chores to do; muck out stalls, curry and clean up your horses, walk and ”grass“ them and, of course, water and feed them. After the noon time feeding you were basically free until 4:30pm at which time you had to clean the stalls and feed and water the horses. If you could ”trade“ a Sunday with another groom where he'd do your chores, you were free until 5:30am Monday morning. So, after two weeks of working steady, I was going to take some time for myself.

I’d contacted Mrs. T. a few days before to find out if it would be OK to stop by and possibly take Joanne sailing. She told me that Joanne hadn’t stopped talking about going sailing since I’d last seen her and had even gotten her mother to take her out to the lake that I sailed on while at school. My problem was that the college hosted the AMA (American Management Association) for their Summer continuing education programs and turned over all the recreational facilities to them. I couldn’t just show up at the boathouse and go sailing. Pete was the solution. Somehow he got me an AMA pass. I arrived at the farm around 2pm or so. Mrs. T. insisted on feeding me before we left so we got an even later start. One thing about lake sailing that I learned at school was the best wind was in the morning. Back home it was the exact opposite. We were in luck for as we got to the boat house we found a boat rigged and ready to go. Joanne was wearing Bermuda shorts and I remember thinking to myself, as she was climbing into the boat, that they were just a wee bit tight. The VPL was beautiful!. She, because she had no experience with boats, was somewhat shaken with the fact that the boat was ”tippy“. The boat was only 14 feet long and didn’t have any seats so the the preferred place to sit was on the deck. But, that made the boat more tippy so I told Joanne to sit inside the boat. By the time we left the dock she was almost ready to quit. I kept hearing squeals every time the boat would rock at all. There was enough wind to propel us out to the middle of the lake. It was a small lake to begin with so we weren’t all that far from shore but the look on the face of Joanne was one of pure fear. I tried calming her down and pretty much succeeded but she did ask to go ashore. It was not going well, at all.

By then the wind had dropped off to almost nothing. We didn’t have paddles or oars so there was nothing we could do but try to paddle with our hands. It was a beautiful, warm day and I was somewhat shocked when I touched the water that the temperature was still so cold. I paddled over one side and Joanne on the other. It was perfect for viewing her VPL... and more! There was a wet spot on her fanny. I’ll admit that I had a bulge growing. There was usually some water in the bottom of these boats from leakage so I pretty much attributed it to that. The effort of paddling seemed to calm her down even more and by the time we reached the ”island“ she was perfectly OK. The ”island“ wasn’t really and island but those who sailed there gave it that name. It became one when the water from the Spring thaw made its way to the lake. The water would rise to a point that cut this little nub of land off from the rest of the shore. It was always an annoyance when we were racing because we had to make sure we didn’t go aground. When we got to the point where I could see the bottom I told her it would be best to get out and walk the boat to shore. I got the boat as close as I could and she got up from inside the boat and sat on the deck. It was slippery and when she went to fling her legs up and over the side her whole body slipped and she slid into the water, fanny first. The water was maybe six inches deep at that point and I remember looking down at her sitting in about waist deep water. I expected her to be upset but she laughed. She sat there for almost a minute and when she got up she was wet from her waist down. I could see the outline of her panties through the wet material of her shorts. Hmmmmm... Very interesting, to say the least. She walked the boat ashore and it was another perfect vantage point for me. Her now wet VPL was a great sight!

I made sure the boat wouldn’t go anywhere and then joined her, sitting on an old felled tree. She had a impish look on her face when I sat down beside her. I asked her what was funny and she said she couldn’t tell me. I teased her about it a bit and then she said something I almost couldn’t believe. She said that she’d gotten wet on purpose. I think I gave her one of those ”You’ve got to be kidding!“ looks because the water was very, very cold. My toes had started to get numb from just the short time I was standing in it while securing the boat. So, naturally, I asked ”why“. And then she put her head down and almost in a whisper said it was because she had to go "pee pee." I honestly don’t know what my facial expression was at that moment. I do know I was glad she was looking down at the ground though.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

LOL, I bet that made your day!