Wednesday, October 21, 2009

MARRIED... Winter woes. (Part 49b)

I left for Elle and the trailer right after my last class on Friday. It was a good day in that I’d gotten paid for all the tests that Elle and I had scored. I think it was around $220. There were some household tools that I needed now that I was a “homeowner”. All my tools were mechanics tools and needed a variety of things so, flushed with money, I stopped at the hardware store. As I was browsing through the place I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked around and was truly surprised to see the veterinarian that AJ used at the race track. Dr John recognized me and asked what I was doing in his town. I had no idea that he lived there but after I explained he insisted that I bring Elle out to his house to meet his wife and kids. He strongly suggested that we do it that night after supper and, as he was quite persuasive, I couldn't say "no". I knew Elle wouldn’t be pleased with that as she’d started “feeling the pregnancy” and seemed to be happy to just come home and lounge, especially after a week of classes.

When I walked in the door I sprung it on her by asking her if she’d do me a big favor. That usually worked and it did on this night. It also helped that the weather was cooperating. Dr John lived only about a mile away, just off the by-pass. His wife, Babs, had made a dessert in anticipation of us coming. It was a new house and had the best of everything. I could see Elle’s eyes showing amazement as she walked around the different rooms. After we’d eaten our dessert we sat down in the living room and it became clear why Dr John had wanted us to come right over.

However, I do need to give some background her before going on...

Dr John and his wife had been born and raised in the town. He'd gone to college, gotten a degree in veterinarian medicine specializing in horses. He went on to further narrow the field to Standardbred horses (trotters and pacers/harness racing). Because he was willing to try new methods it didn’t take him long to get a very good reputation that put him in demand all over the country. When his first child was born he decided that it was time to settle down and he came back home. He also cut down on his travels and concentrated on serving the track where AJ raced. In the off season he took a teaching job at a nearby Ivy League college in their animal husbandry department. But, because of his reputation he was in almost constant demand to speak to groups of other veterinarians and he did this mostly on weekends. He usually took his wife with him. Having said all that, his wife’s mother had been babysitting their two kids (a 4yo boy and a 6yo girl) but had some medical problems since the first of the year and could no longer do it. Seeing me and hearing I was married, a light bulb went on in his mind and he thought we could be the answer.

He had commitments for most weekends up until the end of April. Depending on travel arrangements he (and his wife) could be gone one or two nights. What he was offering us was $10 for one night and $17.50 for two. We would be sleeping at their house and eat their food. He told us that they were usually back by the early afternoon on Sundays. Of course my mind went right to the economics of the offer. I quickly figured that this could be the replacement for the money we were no longer going to get for scoring Dr F’s tests. I calculated we could cut our weekly food bill by 1/3 on the longer weekends plus we could turn the heat down in the trailer when we weren’t there. When I looked over at Elle I could see she was clearly uncomfortable and Dr John did as well. He suggested that he and his wife leave us alone for a bit and they left the room.

I liked the idea. To me it was an easy way to replace the money we were no longer earning. Elle was mostly concerned about the kids. She’d done enough baby sitting to know that there were some really nasty kids out there. With her being pregnant and not always feeling all that well she had some concerns. I laid the economics out for her and asked if she had any other ideas. I know it was unfair because she was the one who would have the most to do but I didn’t think I had any other choice.

We found Dr John and Babs in the kitchen. I asked Elle to tell them her decision. With trepidation she said she/we would. Neither of us were ready for what happened next. Babs asked her if it were even remotely possible for us to start the next day. Elle and I looked at each other not knowing what to say. I was going to be working with Harry so it was clearly up to Elle. Dr John was, as always, persuasive and Elle said she/we would. I was surprised.

That was when Babs gave Elle the detailed tour of the house so she would know where to find everything she/we would need. She also got to meet the kids up close and personal. When we headed back to our trailer Elle was quite upset with me for not speaking up. I didn’t know what she meant. In my mind it was strictly up to her to make the decision. I just kept my mouth shut. Babs said she’d pick Elle up around 10am. When I was done at Harry’s I was to drive right there. I remember lying in bed doing all kinds of calculations as to just how much money we’d be saving on food, fuel and electricity. Even though Elle wasn’t thrilled with the idea, I was.

It went very well. The kids were well behaved and Babs had left a refrigerator full of food. After Elle had met the kids the night before Babs mentioned that the boy wet his bed. That gave Elle the opportunity to mention that, with her pregnancy, she had a bit of a bladder problem as well. It didn’t phase Babs at all and she showed her where the rubber pads were kept. I made sure that Elle brought all her alarm clocks. I was truly impressed with the bed. Our mattress was a real cheap one that came with the trailer. The one we were sleeping on was much softer. I really liked it!. They were back around 2pm on Sunday and we got paid on the spot. I really liked that and actually looked forward to our next visit.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

Sounds like a great arrangement. I wonder how long it took for you to get around to inspecting Bab's panty drawer! ;^)