Friday, February 19, 2010

WORKING... and the reality of it (Part 52d)

One night, in talking with Levi, I asked him if he thought Harry would consider me to drive one of his horses. Levi was a really nice kid and we got along well. He told me to go ahead and ask and to do it when he was present. When I finally got the nerve to ask, Levi jumped right into the conversation, almost pleading with Harry to let me do it. Long story short... he said “yes” as long as AJ approved. I think I’d mentioned earlier that AJ didn’t think much of Harry and his training methods so there was a bit of doubt when I approached him. But I was pleasantly surprised and Harry put me down to drive. By that time I didn’t care how good or bad the horse was. All I wanted was to get into some races.

I should remember the name of the horse but all I can come up with is Grace something or other. On that night I still had to warm AJ horses up for him so Levi warmed Grace up. I only had one chance to drive her before the actual race and I found that she was a handful, pulling hard on the bit. As we headed for the starting gate I took a look at the odds board and found that we were 40 to 1. I got lucky and found a place along the rail in second place. When we hit the 3/4 pole I could feel her letting go of the bit, not a good sign. But no one was coming up from behind us and ended up second. My best finish so far. Levi was more excited than I was. As we walked up the ramp back into the paddock Andy walked up and congratulated me. I really appreciated that.

Two horses had been shipped to AJ from the city but both needed to be qualified. (All horses needed to be able to trot or pace a mile in 2 minutes, 12 seconds, without going off stride. Also, horses that went off stride in two consecutive betting races had to be re-qualified and prove that they could go a mile in a race without breaking stride) Right after my second place finish AJ put me down to try and qualify one of those two horses. Both of them were royally bred but had not performed up to expectations. This track was of a different configuration and the owner thought it might help them. I was shocked when AJ told me. The one I was to drive was called Wonnerful. It was stupid name and he was anything but. As opposed to the horse I’d driven for Harry, who was really “on the bit”, he had a “soft mouth“ and was hard to drive because you couldn’t ”feel“ him. But, it was another chance to drive.

In looking back on that experience the only way to describe it is to say it was like driving a car with a loose steering wheel. It was the first time I’d ever been afraid while on the racetrack. Every time I’d try to ”steer“ him he’d lift and shake his head and change direction. He didn’t break stride but didn’t qualify either, missing by a fifth of a second. In a way I was glad. If he had qualified I was sure AJ would’ve put me down to drive him in a betting race. Even now I still feel the same way.

What was really important was that the horse that AJ had driven qualified easily. We had both been in the same race and as we crossed the finish line I could see AJ holding his horse back. There was no need for him to go any faster than he had to to get qualified. Andy had been watching while we were racing and the first night AJ went to race the other horse, Rod Mite, he asked if I thought he could win. Based on what I’d seen and overhearing AJ talk to the groom who was taking care of him I told him that he ”had a chance“. Andy reciprocated by telling me he ”had a chance“ with his horse as well. It was another Daily Double combination and I felt good enough about his chances that I bet both the Daily Double and Rod Mite. I remember it being a Monday or a Tuesday and that if I lost both bets I was down to just a few dollars until Saturday.

There was no need to worry. Rod Mite won and because his past record while racing in the city was so poor he went off at around 15 to 1 odds. I saw the payoff light up on the infield tote board and was giddy. Rod Mite had just won me more than half of my weekly net pay. But the best was yet to come. Andy won his race and the daily double paid $60 something. I was walking on air the rest of the night.

It was standard procedure for a horse to be moved up in class after they won. Rod Mite was racing with better horses on his next start. AJ and I were back on better (but not good) terms and he volunteered that he thought he could win again. I looked Andy up and passed the word to him. I still had some of my winnings in my pocket and for the first time since I was married I bet $5. Rod Mite won again and I had around $40 to put in my pocket. I knew Andy, who had told me he never made a bet for less than $20, was a happy man as well.

The next week, even with the horse moved up in class again, AJ volunteered that he didn’t know how good the horse really was and that it was possible to win again. I went right to Andy. I bet another $5 and walked away with another $30+. It was too easy. In a little over a two week period I’d made more than twice my weekly pay. Naturally, Andy was very grateful for the ”tips“ and we continued to spend quite a bit of time chatting in the paddock each night. I ended up asking him what was the best horse he’d ever trained and driven. His eyes lit up and said that he’d dig out his scrapbook and show me the pictures. I was really interested because I’d heard that when he was younger and racing in Canada he was considered to be one of their best. The problem was in trying to find the time to get together. Finally, on a Saturday night, we agreed that I’d come down to his trailer the next morning after chores were done.

To be continued...

No comments: