Tuesday, April 06, 2010

GETTING A BREAK... finally (Part 54d)

I got another surprise from AJ the following week. A new horse had been added to the stable and AJ had put me in charge of training him. He needed to be ”qualified“ (meaning he had to show that he could go a mile, in a race, in at least 2 minutes, 12 seconds). I looked over his ”papers“ and saw that he really wasn’t much of a racehorse. But like I said before, I was willing to drive anything. I got him qualified the first try and entered him in a betting race as soon as I could get him in. He was in the lowest class (C-3) racing for the least amount of money but it didn’t matter to me.

I was really excited the night of his first race. It was the first time that I was listed in the program as ”Trainer“. I didn’t expect a lot but I certainly didn’t expect what I got.
Since the majority of the races were at night we raced under lights and at the finish line there were a special bank of lights that lit up the width of the track to aid the photo finish cameras. I don’t remember where I was as far as position was concerned (maybe 6th) when we reached that point. But, when he reached the bright band of lights he tried to jump over it. It scared the shit out of me. When he came down he stumbled and almost went down. I don’t know how I stayed on the sulky (the little cart behind the horse where the driver sits). It wasn’t until I got back to the paddock that I could breath normally.

As frightening as that was it was soon replaced by a mild kind of euphoria. I won with my grandfather’s horse. I was surprised that I wasn’t more excited. AJ soon added another horse for me to train and race. It was 2 year old who had shown some exceptional speed but was rather unruly on the track, distracted by other horses. Looking back on it now I know what what AJ was doing. Horses that he was afraid of were shunted off to me (with the exception of my grandfather’s horse). I didn’t care. It was all a learning experience and I wasn’t intimidated by it.

Harry shipped his horses in to the track the middle of June. His nephew, Levi, had been "promoted" and was now listed as an Assistant Trainer and was going to try and get his drivers license. I was excited for Levi but recognized that my chances to get to race any of Harry's horses were much diminished. When I stopped at their barn, located at the old fairgrounds, I was introduced to Georgie, another trainer/driver stabled there. As soon as he opened his mouth it was obvious that he was born and raised in the city. Not only that but he talked a mile a minute which made it doubly hard to understand him. It wasn't Georgie that caught my whole attention. It was the girl who appeared to be working for him. Without a doubt she was a "looker". I would've liked to have spent more time finding out about the two of them but I had a horse waiting to get out onto the racetrack. I knew there would be more time in the future.

It was in early July that I finally got my chance to see Margie’s panties up close. The area we were in was known for Summer thunderstorms. They would blast in with wind and fury for a short time and then leave with sunshine soon reappearing. On this one particular day a storm came in right before lunch and drenched everything. When I got to the house I saw clothes still on the line and knew it was Margie’s day for washing. Mrs M usually took Margie’s clothes in on those occasions and I thought it was strange that they were still there. Elle told me that they had gone somewhere for the day. I tried to think of a reason to go back downstairs to take a look but couldn’t. I could only hope that they wouldn't be back by the time I was ready to head back to the track. I know I didn’t nap all that well thinking of the opportunity to finally see the panties.

When I got to bottom of the stairs I knocked on Mrs M’s door. Usually it was open but I wanted to make sure she wasn’t there. With no answer I became emboldened and headed for the other side of the house. As I approached it I could see that the wind had blown some items off the line and into the back yard. The first thing I came to was a pair of what were obviously Mrs M’s panties, just from the size of them. I looked out towards the grove of trees and saw other items as well. I headed that way and found some of Margie’s daughter’s clothes. Finally, I found what I was looking for draped against a bush. I’d taken far more time than I’d intended and was worried that Elle would wonder why I hadn’t left so just grabbed them and stuffed them into my pocket. Thank goodness they were just damp. One nice feature of nylon panties is that they dry fairly quickly.

I didn’t look at them until I got to the barn. I went for the label first. Mojud, size 5. It was a fairly familiar label for me. They were plain, just like the other Mojud panties I'd previously come across. They didn’t have any noticeable staining in them which told me they were probably fairly new. As I studied them I thought back to the night I’d seen the lot of them hanging on the line and hadn’t gone over to take a look. I consoled myself saying that Summer still had a long way to go.

I’d not had a lot of luck in seeing much of Lisa, the waitress. Elle rarely went anywhere and was satisfied to take the baby out back in the afternoons to give me some peace and quiet. Elle had only used her to look after the baby a few times when she and Mrs M had gone food shopping. I don’t remember exactly when I finally got a peek into her room. The one thing that struck me was that she had a folding clothes rack set up over by her window. I didn’t see any clothes on it but it was a signal that she would hang some of her wash on it from time to time. On this one day I came home for lunch only to find Lisa out in the yard with the baby. I stopped and chatted for a few seconds noting only that her shorts weren’t as short as Margie’s. I went upstairs and as I went into the bathroom saw that her door was open and that there were clothes hanging on the rack. I know I didn’t hesitate as I walked in and saw three pair of panties blowing back and forth. As I looked at them I could see Lisa and the baby in the yard. I picked up one pair and saw they were cotton. I went to find the label and was disappointed in not finding one. I spread them out and saw that they were obviously her "period panties" as the were blood stains on the leg elastics. They weren’t special in any way. I classified them as ”common“ and probably purchased at a ”Woolworth’s“ or another 5 and 10 cent store. I hung them back up without looking at the other two pair. I left feeling somewhat disappointed.

To be continued...

2 comments:

oldblue said...

You seem to be a risk taker with horses and panties.

Pantymaven said...

OB... when I was in my early teens one of my nicknames was "Daredevil Dugan". I shudder when I think about some of the stupid things I did on a dare.