Tuesday, February 08, 2011

A BRIGHT FUTURE... busy but happy (Part 68d)

Because the whole Data Processing department had been created without a lot of foresight, there were MANY things that needed to be corrected. But, as with any governmental entity, the ”wheels turn slowly“. Shelving for the used punch cards had yet to arrive. We had to put them somewhere and the South wall was the only out of the way place that could be found. All the cards that had been used were boxed, marked and stacked there. The wall of boxes were at least five feet high and probably twelve feet across. It was a daunting task in that Jo had to get down to the floor to read the information on the lower boxes. Jay was at his table/desk and I was running the sorter. Jo was across the room and I was only occasionally able to see her as she walked between some of the peripheral equipment. We’d only been at it for a short time when I heard Jo curse. It wasn’t like her at all. Jay asked if she was OK and she said she was. A few minutes later she did it again.

Jay and I both got up to go see what was wrong. She was standing next to the wall of boxes holding the side of her skirt. Squatting down onto her haunches she’d popped the waist button. Trying to continue without it she then popped the zipper. When we saw her she had this silly grin on her face. Then she asked what time the cleaning people came in to pick up the trash. I thought it was a strange question to ask at that particular time. Around the first of the year Jay had made a request that the janitors make the Audit and Control department their last stop. When working late we often filled the trash containers and that made it difficult to work around on the following mornings. We’d been there as late as 11pm a few times when they arrived so that’s what Jay told her. She then told us to stop gawking and go back to what we were doing and shooed us away. I, for one, was puzzled but did what she asked.

A few minutes later I looked over by the wall and saw what looked like a ghost in that when I got a glimpse of Jo all I saw was white. It took me a minute to figure out what was going on. Jo had taken her skirt off and was now working in her slip and blouse. I’ll admit that I wasted more than a few minutes trying to think of a reason to go over there to get a close look... but I couldn’t come up with a plausible one. Jay didn’t know and I didn’t say anything. A little later I was setting the tabs on the printer when Jay decided to see how Jo was doing. I heard a little squeal and then a familiar sound... Jo’s nervous little laugh.

I could hear her tell Jay to ”go away“ but giggling as she did so. Then Jay called me which was followed by a very loud ”don’t you dare!“ from Jo. I couldn’t resist. She’d been partially hidden by a decollating machine and as soon as I turned the corner I saw her stooped over a bit with her arms crossed over her groin area. I think what struck me the most was that she had a sort of smile on her face. I really couldn’t see much because she was facing us. It was like she was embarrassed but also liked the attention. After a few seconds she cocked her head and I saw a sincere look on her face as she quietly said ”please...“. I did turn around and Jay quickly followed. As we walked back to the work area I could see a smirky smile on his face. Jo called out that she’d continue to work as long as we didn’t come over and look at her. Jay called back that it was a deal.

We quit around 9pm. Jay had the program written and Jo had most of the needed boxes identified. Jay figured that he could wire the program board while Jo finished up with her part of the job and I physically pulled the boxes the next night. When Jo reappeared she had her skirt on but was holding it up with both hands. Jay helped her on with her coat and suggested that she bring some ”work clothes“ to change into the next day to avoid a similar problem. I remember her laughing as she nodded her head in agreement.

Jay approached me the next day to ask my opinion on letting Jo get involved in the actual running of the new program. She’d expressed her desire to learn as much as she could about data processing to both of us. In just the short time she’d been working there she’d showed that she was smart and quick to learn. Jay told me that there was money in the budget to hire another person after the first of April. He thought that if Jo got the opportunity to learn how to operate our present equipment that she could qualify to fill it. I told him I thought it was a good idea.

After everyone else had left for the day the three of us got together and outlined the ”plan“, including letting Jo get more involved. I don’t think Jay could’ve gotten a more positive response. Jo started bouncing up and down and giggling like she’d just been given a promotion. She had taken Jay's suggestion and brought clothes more appropriate for the work she was doing. Because of an after hours incident in one of the ladies bathrooms during the Summer, they, as well as the ones for the men, were locked at 5pm. John had been able to get a key for the men's room. On the days when Jo had worked late he would walk her down there when she needed to use the bathroom and then "stand guard" for her. But, on this night he wanted to get the program board wired and tested as soon as possible so when Jo asked he suggested that she could just go behind the computer to change. She made a bit of a face but quickly took her clothes and headed that way.

The County Center building was completed in 1958 and most of the locals hated it. It was a sprawling complex, predominantly glass. It looked like a glass puzzle and the local newspaper once called it a labyrinth as it was hard for the public to find their way. The windows went from about 30 inches off the floor all the way to the ceiling. Because the windows in our space faced to the Northeast we got very little direct sun so there were no curtains. One thing that I’d noticed was that when it got dark the windows became mirror like in that they reflected everything in the office. I was not thinking of that when Jo disappeared behind the computer. I’d gone out to get a carton of paper and as I walked back into the room I saw Jo’s reflection behind the computer. It took my breath away in that, although not all that clear, I could see that she was in just her bra and panties. I stopped in my tracks and watched her put on her shirt and then step into the pants she’d brought. It was a very nice surprise and I kept it to myself.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

I bet the sight of Jo in her bra and panties sure must have made doing overtime seem like fun! Lucky dog!