Monday, February 28, 2011

GOOD TIMES... Spring (Part 69b)

It was around that same time I got a call at work from Elle. She hardly ever called so I was a bit concerned. She told me there was a ”block of dirt“ right out in front of our trailer. I tried to get her to explain what she meant but all I was able to get from her was there was this cube of what looked like dirt on a wooden platform right where I usually parked my car. Confused, I got Jo to cover for me and I headed home. It took a few seconds to realize that the ”block“ was sod. My yard was still nothing but dirt. I liked the idea but I wasn’t going to be the one to pay for it. I headed for the office and Dick, thank goodness, was there to explain. When the last of the new pads had been finished in the late fall it had been too late to plant grass. My yard was one of those. The ”boys“ hadn’t expected that the pads would get occupied so quickly but the new, longer trailers had been selling quite well and most of those grassless pads had been rented. The tenants had gotten together and complained so the ”boys“ decided to spend the money to sod the yards rather than plant grass and to listen to complaints. I was told that if I wanted to lay it myself that they’d take $15 off that month’s rent. In my mind $15 was $15 even though I didn’t have that much spare time. I was excited about the thought of finally having a yard for the kids to play in.

It was also right around that time that Jay was able to start the interviewing process for the vacant position. Civil Service rules stated that he could take any of the top three candidates on the list of those who had passed the test. As soon as I saw that first candidate walk through the door I had a feeling Jay would hire her. She had an air of professionalism about her in not only the way she was dressed but also the way she carried herself. It didn’t take long before Jay was introducing Lucy to us. She’d actually worked for Remington Rand. Of course I had to check out her butt. She was wearing a fitted wool skirt with a houndstooth pattern. I felt that if there hadn’t been a pattern on it I would’ve surely seen a VPL. I couldn’t wait for her to start. Neither could Jay but we had to wait until all the paperwork was processed.

I started laying the sod the first night I could. My next door neighbor came over to help and before I knew it there were five of us packing it down. I hadn’t seen much of Mac and after we finished up he waved me to the side. I wondered what was so private that he couldn’t say it out loud. I was shocked when he told me he wasn’t going to ”re-up“ for another tour of duty with the Air Force. All I’d ever heard from him was that he was a ”career man“. He told me that he’d signed up to work on the Alaska pipe line. I don’t remember the hourly wage he said he’d be paid but it was certainly eye opening. I knew his ultimate dream was to own a small flying service. He went on to say that he figured that after just three years he’d be able to put enough away to buy two planes and have a down payment on a house. His wife, Elise, would take the kids back to live with her parents saving a lot more money. He asked me not to tell anyone as he planned on having a party to let everyone know. As he walked away I wondered why he singled me out to tell ahead of the party. I also knew I’d miss him and that Elle would miss Elise.

One of the first benefits of having a lawn was that I now had an excuse to go over by the back of my neighbor’s trailer. I could now put up a fence to keep my kids somewhat controlled. Weather permitting, Saturday was wash day for them and I couldn’t wait to get up close and personal with the older teen’s panties. I’d seen them from a far for a couple of months and was looking forward to having the opportunity to seem them up close. The mother and younger daughter’s panties held no interest for me because they were both on the heavy side. Janelle, the older teen, certainly was a ”looker“ and I’d sort of witnessed her ”accident“ so I had a definite interest. My problem was that I had too many things happening almost at the same time.

The wheels of Government turn ever so slowly. Jay was hoping to put Lucy to work as quickly as Jo but there was some sort of hold up. It was mid April before she started. I remember smiling as I watched her walk through the door into the DP room. She looked like a model. Her black hair was pulled back and she had on a fitted charcoal gray skirt with a matching jacket. I can close my eyes and still see that visage. At the interview I’d not talked with her so when she spoke I was a little shocked. There was a trace of an accent but I didn’t know the origination. I can honestly say she was the class of the office right from the time she walked in. Prim and proper would be an apt description. It was hard to take my eyes off her. After introducing her to Jo and Linda I was a bit worried that she’d be discouraged by the loose way that we operated. The way Jay ran the DP department could be described as ”laid back”. She wanted to get started and Jo took over at that point in time. When Jay showed up I could see the relief in his face. The requests for new programs were piling up and he just couldn’t find the time to get to them. Leo, the Deputy Controller, had been bugging him about it. Jay and I couldn’t stand the man and we wanted to do everything possible to keep him out of our area. Jay was looking to Lucy to be the solution.

To be continued...

1 comment:

badside said...

Nice neighbors, I doubt mine would ever do that for me! Sounds like there may be some good panty stories coming in the near future!