Sunday, September 11, 2011

THE NEW YEAR... changes ahead (Part 78i)

When we had last seen her brother all he could do was to brag about what a great place he’d found to live. We had to walk quite a distance from the closest subway and the further we walked the more concerned Elle and I became. It was clearly a part of the city that had seen better days. When we reached our destination I wasn’t sure I wanted to enter. There were run down stores on both sides of the street and garbage laying in the gutters. Her brother led us to a doorway between two stores and we climbed a pair of rickety stairs to the second floor. It appeared that there were two more levels to the building as we waited for him to open the door. Walking in I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was incredibly dark to begin with. All the walls were dark wood and there were only two windows that we could see. What would have been a living room had but two straight backed chairs and a wooden crate with a small lamp on it. I was shaking my head as we were led into the back part. The kitchen had a refrigerator like the one I remember being in my grandparents house when I lived with them during WWII. The stove was on legs and the sink was stained almost orange. By the time we got to the bedroom I was ready to leave. There was one window and all I could see out of it was a fire escape. The only thing that I saw that was somewhat normal was the bed. It was a double bed and was made up. There was a single bulb hanging from the ceiling and other than his Army chest the room was bare. As he was Elle’s brother I kept my mouth shut. Elle was getting very anxious to change so asked about the bathroom. I am not exaggerating when I say that it was disgusting. The sink and toilet bowls were stained to a dark orange. Elle let out a bit of a shriek when she saw it. The toilet seat was cracked and stained. As I looked at it my thought was to leave and get a hotel room even if it took the bulk of the money I had.

Elle got some ”supplies“ and closed the door. As I stood there with her brother he asked what I thought about his ”digs“. He seemed to be clueless. Possibly it seemed like ”heaven“ to him after spending over a year in a tent in Korea. I don’t remember saying anything to him at all. When Elle reappeared her brother said he had some things he needed to do and headed for the door. As soon as he did I told her there was no way we were staying there that night or any other night. She gave me one of those ”...but it is my brother...“ looks but I was adamant.

I had a list of phone numbers of people who lived or worked in the city. Even though it was a holiday I decided to give some of them a try. One was the fellow (Willy) who had sailed with me in the tune up race the previous Summer. He was one who actually lived there and I got lucky and caught him at home. He was just about to leave for Vermont to go skiing. I told him our plight and he told me to come right over. Elle was upset but at that point I didn’t care.

Talk about contrasts... from a ”dump“ we found ourselves in front of an apartment building complete with a doorman. It wasn’t that big but I was impressed with the fact that there was an elevator operator. I have to say that Willy and his wife were quite cordial especially since we hardly knew them... Elle not at all. We were shown around and told to make ourselves at home. The apartment wasn’t all that big but bigger than the one I’d lived in when my parents lived in the city. I was happy I’d made the decision. All I had to do was get Elle in concert with me about why we were there.

Going to Radio City Music Hall calmed her down and since her secret fantasy was to be a ”Rockette“ she was all caught up in the dancing. There was also a movie and I have no memory, at all, of what it was or was about. In an effort to put myself in Elle’s good graces I suggested that we walk over to Rockefeller Center to watch the ice skaters. That was another fantasy she held, to be a figure skater. It didn’t take long for that ”dreamy look“ to come into her eyes as she watched. It had been five years since she’d last skated so when I asked if she wanted to give it a try she slowly shook her head ”no“. I remembered when she’d skated there when we were still in school and how much fun she'd had so was disappointed. I asked why and she whispered that because she was wearing a skirt she was afraid that if she fell people would see her ”package“. I pointed out that there were other women in skirts out on the ice but she just shook her head. She said that if she had a pair of slacks she would.

We watched for a while and then I took her to the automat to get something to eat. I’d told her about it after my last trip to the city and she thought it was something she wanted to see. The food was nothing special but putting coins into the slot and then opening the door to take the food out was something different.

By then I was looking forward to getting back to Willy’s apartment and some time, alone, with Elle. However, I could see Elle’s mood change as we approached the building. Once in the apartment she started in about how we’d said we’d stay at her brother’s place. I didn’t want to argue so kept my mouth shut. At that point I knew there wasn’t going to be much ”snuggling“ that night. However, the next morning it was all OK... Elle was smiling and anxious to go exploring the city.

To be continued...

No comments: