Tuesday, October 29, 2013

ON AND ON... another month (Part 117f)

ON AND ON... another month (Part117f)

I finished putting the dome together just before the first birthday guests arrived. It was a man that I didn’t recognize driving so after he let his daughter out I went over and introduced myself. It wasn’t that I really wanted to get to know him but more that I needed his help to place the dome out in the yard by the swing set. He willingly helped but because he’d stayed he got blocked in by others delivering their daughters. I don’t remember how many were invited but I do remember that Elle, not wanting to take a chance on the weather, planned for it to be an indoor party. Jean, of course, wanted to go play on her new dome so there was a little friction between mother and daughter. I played “chicken” and retreated to the garage to work on Jon’s campaign sign.

Elle gave up after a while and let the kids come out and play on and around the dome. It was a big hit and as I watched them climb on and over it I was glad that we’d bought it and the frustration of putting it together was worth it. It seemed like all the parents arrived to pick up their kids at the same time. The driveway became clogged within minutes and I had to leave the sign and go play traffic cop, guiding the mothers down the hill, backwards. Out in the road I saw a car pull up just past the driveway and I saw a large man get out. I sort of recognized him but wasn’t sure. He knew my name and called out to me. Then I saw this little blonde haired woman get out the passenger door... it was Nancy, Elle’s college roommate. I hadn’t seen her since I’d quit racing the horses. She still looked the same... big smile, vivacious and painfully thin. The big man was her husband, Mike. We’d met once so that was why I had sort of recognized him. As we walked up the driveway I had a flashback to when we’d met and it wasn’t all that good. I’d been left with the impression that he was a blowhard, full of himself and wild ideas on how to make a “killing”.

Elle was just starting to clean up from the party and when she saw Nancy, was overjoyed. Not to drag this out but Mike had lost his shirt on a couple of his schemes out in the Mid West and they’d come back East to stay with Nancy’s parents until he got a job or put another wild idea into motion... and that’s why they were at our house. A while back I mentioned that my brother had quit his job as the manager of the largest gas station in town to take a job selling boats. Mike’s new idea was to buy a couple of sailboats and then let them out as charters (renting them out). He’s done some research and decided on a manufacturer and the closest dealer was the one my brother worked at. In the course of conversation, they asked him if he was related to me and, of course, he said “yes” and he gave them directions. He’d contracted to buy two 25 foot sailboats from my brother and somehow managed to talk him into handling the actual charters. What was ultimately ironic was that neither Mike nor Nancy had ever been sailing.

Elle invited them to stay for supper and by the time they left I hoped that I’d never see Mike again, but with his new “business” only 12 miles East, I just knew I’d be seeing more of him. Nancy was a nice person and, as they drove away, I remember Elle making the comment that she felt sorry for her. I’d left all my sign painting things in the garage and needed to clean the brushes and put them away. Elle had to put the girls to bed so when I walked into the house I was surprised to see Elle in one of my T shirts and panties waiting for me. I went up to her and, as usual when the kids weren’t around, put my hand between her legs. She was wet... which was an open invitation when the kids were asleep. We went right up the stairs and finished off a long day with some pleasurable “entertainment”.

Memorial Day was actually on Sunday which meant it was celebrated on Monday. I spent most of Sunday finishing the sign so that I could deliver it on Monday. I loaded it (4“x8’) into the station wagon about mid morning thinking that Jon would be done with his milk deliveries by then. When I pulled into his yard his truck and the station wagon that Ginger drove weren’t there. The only time I’d been there was to the party they’d hosted and it had been dark when we arrived. I’d heard so much about their location I decided to  go and take a look for myself. The lot was semi pie shaped in that there was only about 30 feet fronting on the street but there was over 100 feet fronting on this small spring fed lake. The house was at the highest part of the property and from there it gradually sloped down to the water’s edge. I could easily see why they compromised on the size of the house to get such a beautiful location. There were a few small trees between the house and water but not enough to obstruct the view. Because of the gradual slope they had a deck off the rear of the house in place of a patio. As I waked back up towards the house I spied something that really caught my attention... a small clothes line that ran from the house to a small flag pole attached to the outer edge of the deck. There were a couple of things hanging off it and one of them had the distinct look of panties.

When I pulled into the yard I made the assumption that no one was there but as I looked up at the clothes line reality took hold so I decided it best if I go to the front door and knock before climbing the stairs up to the deck to do an ”inspection“. All the knock got me was the barking of the dog I didn’t know they had. I waited a few minutes and knocked a second time only to get the same response. Emboldened by that I headed around to the back again. I remember going up the stairs two at a time. I wasn’t worried about the neighbors because the ones to the North were blocked by a thicket and the house to the South was closer to the road than Jon’s. I went right for the panties and the first thing was that they felt a little different than any that I’d felt before. They were definitely made with a manufactured fabric but it wasn’t the type of nylon that I was used to. Knowing I didn’t have a lot of time I unclipped them from the line and looked for the label... another first... Seampruf. They were size 6 but, as I’ve mentioned before, Ginger could’ve stood to lose a few pounds. I quickly hung them as i found them and double timed it back down the stairs. I ended up leaving the sign leaning against the front porch and headed home, wondering where she bought the panties. Something new to look for.

To be continued...    

No comments: