Wednesday, March 04, 2015

SURVIVING... Same ole, same ole (Part 129e)

SURVIVING... Same ole, same ole (Part 129e)

For a second she almost looked like a ghost. The wrap around robe had a sash to keep it closed and was also white. To finish off the “look” she had something wrapped around her hair. I know I had to be staring at her with a puzzled look on my face. She spoke rapidly and as she did I could hear a lisp which made her even a bit more difficult to understand. As I approached her I told her to calm down and to speak slowly. I remember her frowning, almost as if to say “Don’t speak to me that way!” Up close I could see the white “glop” was some sort of facial creme. When I was very young I'd sometimes seen my mother with stuff slathered all over her face but she also had on some kind of mask to put over it.

I was able to get the fact that she’d tried to start her washing machine and all she could get was a fairly loud “buzz” from it. I had no idea what the problem was but she was almost pleading to have me come over to take a look. I told her I was alone with a young child inside the house but I’d try to get over in 15 or so minutes. With that she turned and headed back through the hedge. I picked up the sign and took it down to the basement while thinking that this was not going to turn out all that well.

After getting Kaye dressed I headed through the hedge with her to do my neighborly duty. At the kitchen door I could see her sitting on a stool at the island in the middle of the kitchen. Still in her robe, she was smoking a cigarette and had a cup of coffee in her hand. All I could see was her back and the thing she had around her hair looked like a turban. When I knocked she spun around on the stool and waved me on in. With Kaye clinging to my leg as if she were welded to it, I struggled to get inside. She made a cursory effort to acknowledge Kaye and then pointed to the washing machine. It was a front loader, under the counter. Other than the color (colors were BIG in the 60’s) it was the same make as the one in my house when we bought it. I saw a mass of gray cloth piled on the counter above it as I approached. Pulling the dial on the front of it to start it I immediately heard the sound she’d described... a loud “Bzzzzzzzz”. I immediately turned back to her to ask if she’d turned the water on. The only way to describe the look I got  back was a blank stare. I, again, asked if she’d turned on the water. Slowly, she asked where the faucets were. Turning back to the pile on the counter I pushed it away. On the backsplash were two chrome handles and I pointed to them. “Oh... ” was the reaction followed by her telling me that this was the first time she’d tried to use the machine.

I don’t know why the memory popped into my mind at just that time but I remembered back to when I was doing maintenance work at the mobile home park right after I’d quit training horses. I’d become friends with the repair man for the coin operated washing machines at the park and he once told me to make sure to run a whole cycle of water through a new machine before doing any clothes. With that thought I mentioned it to her and suggested that it be done. With her cigarette hanging from her mouth she shrugged and said “OK”. I stood there waiting for her to come over and unload the machine but she pointed to it and said to “go ahead” as if I was employed by her. I was shocked by her cavalier attitude but, for some unknown reason, I bent over and opened the glass door. What I saw really shocked me... the drum was packed with clothes and I mean packed. I remember laughing and being challenged by her for doing so. Trying to be nice I flatly stated that she had too much in the machine. Again, a blank stare. What made the stares disconcerting was that they were coming from behind this white paste like stuff she had on her face. (When I told some of my friends about it I described her eyes as being like two piss holes in the snow.) I started pulling things out starting with what turned out to be a sheet followed by a dark jacket that appeared to be woolen and a pair of bright red pants. I looked up at her and she was just sitting there puffing away. Another handful produced a variety of things including a white table cloth and some maroon napkins. I remember shaking my head. While still pulling items out I heard the phone ring.

Sitting on the stool she’d had her robe draped all around it to the point I could only see the legs of it under the rung where she’d been resting her feet. When she stood up and started for the phone the robe, still draped over the stool, caught on it and pulled it open exposing her nightie. Before she got more than a few steps the stool fell over and hit her. When she turned to get it off her, the robe, now caught under the stool, was pulled off one of her shoulders. I really didn’t get to see much. Bent over with only her nighty covering one hip I could see the outline of panties and that was for only a brief second. I know you won’t believe it but up to that time I really hadn’t been thinking of panties... but, as she went into the next room to get the phone I got to thinking/hoping that there would be some in the rest of the clothes still in the machine.

With my ears listening for the end of her conversation I went about pulling the remainder of the items out and onto the floor. The last handful proved to be a “winner”. As I looked down on it I got a pleasant surprise. I recognized the waist elastic of a pair of Carters Spanky Pants. The label, located in the middle of the back confirmed it of. To make it complete they had band legs and were the heavy ribbed cotton exactly like Elle's including the size. Elle wore them for a specific reason and I just didn’t think many grown women would wear them by choice.

It was impossible for me to have come up with an age for the woman what with the stuff on her face and her hair covered. The only clue I had was her voice and, with her lisp, that wasn’t much help. I didn’t dwell on that pair of panties for long other than to look at the crotch. There was just a normal discharge so I rooted through the pile looking for some more. The next ones I found were also the same but there was a fairly large “skid mark” in them. I’d started separating the clothes into light colors and dark colors like I’d seen Elle do. I reached into the middle of the big pile and found what felt somewhat like a ball and it was damp. I pulled it out and saw the familiar waist band elastic again. Shaking the panties out I immediately got the idea why they were damp. There was a fairly clear indication that she’d pooped in them and had just given them a cursory rinse. That was not a pleasant surprise. I had two fairly decent piles when she returned and explained that each amounted to a normal load. I told her about the need for separating colors and also that wool shouldn't be washed in a washing machine. I remember her shaking her head from side to side and then making a comment about it sounding reasonable. With her watching I then I turned on the faucets and started the machine on. The “Bzzzzzzz” was gone.

Kaye had been fascinated whenever Elle had used the front loader in our house so she went up to the window and watched the water splashing about. I really wanted to go home but my conscience wouldn’t let me. Afraid, with her naivety, that if there was a leak she’d not know what to do. So I figured it was as good a time as any to find out more about her...

To be continued...

No comments: