Monday, December 07, 2015

CONTINUING... surprises & changes (Part 139a)

CONTINUING... surprises & changes (Part 139a)

I spent more time with James and Peggy than I’d intended to. James gave me a ride downtown to get my old car. He had to go and jump start a car in the municipal parking lot. For him to go past the bank was out of his way so I told him I could walk from where the distressed car was parked. It was directly behind the newest department store. Although I could’ve made my way back to the bank parking lot quicker without going inside I chose the long way. The store had recently expanded and now was using the whole basement for retail. One of the departments down there was the one for lingerie. Never one to miss a chance to see the newest things, I made my way inside.

I was greeted with a big banner that hung just inside the vestibule. It read “Krazy Korner” with a big red arrow pointing to the left. There were racks with clothes, both men’s and women’s along with bins of children’s clothes an miscellaneous items. A quick glance told me that it was the remnants of the Spring and Summer style clothes. Even though I was running way behind (I still had to make a run to the town landfill as well as cut the lawn) I made a turn to the left. I was hoping I’d find some panties in with the miscellaneous items. No such luck. But, I did see something flowered in the pile and reached for it. It was nylon and when I pulled it free it was a skirted bathing suit only there was no bottom for it. I checked the label and saw it was a size 10, Elle’s size at the time. I started rooting through all the other things in the bin hoping to find the missing piece. Elle already had one like it but it was showing it’s age and this really looked nice. I finally gave up and was about to put the suit back when I heard my name called. I looked up and it was the manager. I’d met him through the Chamber of Commerce right after the store opened. He asked what I was looking for and I held the suit up and said that the panties that went with it were missing. He laughed and said that was probably why they were in there in the first place. I honestly don’t know why I asked but I wanted to know what the price on it was. He said to just go ahead and take it and he reached under the nearest counter and handed me a bag.

Driving home I had three things to muddle over. First was to come up with where I’d been. I left before Elle and gotten up. Second was how and when to tell Elle about the car. I knew I’d mix in the refund money for the retirement fund but, again, timing would be crucial. And third, the bathing suit without a bottom. The last was the least of my worries because I’d been able to persuade Elle to wear the suit that she had that was like it without the matching bottoms when we were alone and felt I’d be able to do it again. I had put in for the first real vacation time since I’d joined the bank. Up to then I’d taken random days when I needed to. But, Elle had figured that Labor day week would be a good time for us to have time without the kids. Two of them would be back in school and Kaye, the youngest, could spend a day or two with Elle’s mother. I had in mind to borrow Big B’s sailboat, weather permitting and this new suit would come in handy.

Pulling up the driveway I saw clothes on our wash line. What was strange was that there were five or six pastel panties at the end of the line closest to the driveway. Elle didn’t own but a few pink and blue ones and unless I set them out for her to wear they didn’t get worn.  By the time I stopped the car I realized that they as well as all the other things hanging there belonged to the neighbor. I thought that I’d clearly stated to the older daughter, before I left, that our clothesline wasn’t to be used by them. A bit ‘steamed’, I forgot about my three concerns and went looking for Elle.

I found her doing her usual Saturday morning cleaning chores and, more or less, surprised her as she was cleaning the shower and hadn’t heard me drive up. I didn’t give her a chance to speak, demanding to know why the neighbors clothes were on the line. Clearly taken aback, she sort of stammered while trying to answer. I kept up my attack reiterating what I’d told the daughter before I left. She finally got a word in by saying that she didn’t know that I’d spoken to the girl. I took a deep breath and then let her continue. Both the mother and girl had come over after she was up and about and Elle said they were as nice as could be. Hearing that, I already knew Elle was against saying anything negative to them so just made a face. I stated that I thought the woman was taking advantage of us along with everybody else she came across and walked back outside to collect the garbage. At least I didn't have to explain where I was

While piling it into the station wagon I got a chance to look at the wash lines and from where I was standing could see there were more panties than just the group of pastels I’d already seen. I thought about not going to the landfill and just starting to mow the lawn. That way I’d have an excuse to be out and about their laundry. My thought process being that they chose to hang it out there on my lawn mowing day. However, looking at all the trash I’d loaded into the wagon I knew I better take care of it hoping that their wash would still be there when I returned.

The landfill was a strange place. I always seemed to run into someone I knew. On this day it was the president of the commercial bank just up the street from where I worked. Ray was easily ten years older that I was but he had a daughter in the same grade and class as my oldest, Jean. I saw her sitting in the car while we chatted. He pointed to her and asked if I could do him a big favor. I said sure and hoped it wasn’t something that would disrupt my afternoon. It was really simple... take his daughter to my house where she’d been invited for the afternoon. It was news to me but of course I said “OK”.

Judy was different. She was almost as tall as her father and yet she was only around eight years old. I remember Jean’s class picture form the previous year and she was, by far, the tallest in the class. There was something else about her... it was like she didn’t really have a chin. Those things notwithstanding, she was willing to talk with me on the trip home, something that most kids her age wouldn’t do with someone they didn’t know all that well. I found out that there were two other girls from their class that would be there. At first I was thinking, “Why didn’t I know about this?” Then it all came back... the situation with the bikini panties the night before and then leaving before Elle got up. I asked if they had anything planned and she smiled and said “No.”

To be continued... 

4 comments:

oldblue said...

Brushing the panties aside as you mow under and around the clothesline. Not such a bad thought, perhaps getting them tangled over your face as you battle your way their mess.

badside said...

Guess with the kid's party going on you didn't have a chance to check those panties on the line after all. Funny chance meeting at the garbage dump though.

Pantymaven said...

OB... stay tuned...

BS... see the above comment...

Anonymous said...

Ha! i had a similar thought, though with your anger, i was picturing you could shoot grass clippings all over their panties on the line! :) Of course, that would be soiling panties, not sure you could do that. I'm sure you'll find something... such drama!
sara