Monday, December 28, 2015

CONTINUING... surprises and changes (Part 139i)

CONTINUING... surprises & changes (Part 139i)

The name of the restaurant was Traveler’s Rest. Over the years I’d driven past it hundreds of times but had never been inside. As I approached it I was surprised to see cars parked along the road. Technically, parking was not allowed in that area but it hadn’t been a problem so wasn’t really enforced by the police. I decided to take a chance and joined all the others. Walking up to the door I saw Cliffy, my racing friend, leaving with two large pizzas. I hadn’t seen him since the night “BigB” sold his race car. We chatted for a few minutes before he suggested that I join him and his pit crew at the shop telling me there was plenty to go around.

I knew Phil as he was, like Cliffy, a classmate of Elle’s in high school. I’d seen Alan and Joe at the track but at first didn’t recognize the little guy. It took a minute when I realized it was Buster, the kid that had lived right across the road from the gas station that I’d worked at as a teen and where my first race car was garaged. He spent most of his waking hours hanging around the race car and it appeared that he was still doing the same. Cliffy had decided to change race tracks and was now racing further to the West. I noticed that the number on the car had changed as well. They tried pressuring me to join them at the races on Saturday night but I, knowing things weren’t good at home, declined saying I’d get there one of these nights. Before I left I asked Cliffy what I should ask for my ‘55 Chevy. After he and the others looked at it he suggested asking $325 and hoping to get $275. By the time I left it was almost 11pm. That, definitely was not good.

All the lights were out when I arrived home. Even when I was working on “Big B’s” race car and wasn’t getting home until after midnight there were always lights on the patio and in the kitchen. I made my way up the stairs and, once in bed, found Elle way over on her side. At least I had my own bed to sleep in. When she got up to use the bathroom I didn’t make any effort to speak to her. When her alarm went off at 7am I decided to take my clothes downstairs and to get dressed there. Without any breakfast I headed for work as there was plenty to do. The first thing was I had to write up the minutes from the Board meeting. Because it had been unlike any that I’d been a part of I wasn’t sure how to go about it as the others had been simple and straightforward.

By the time Joanie showed up I had a rough draft done. It certainly was easier to do it without interruptions. When I saw Joanie she had, again, done her hair differently. I wondered if it wasn’t Laura’s influence. She’d chosen to wear her khaki pencil skirt. I liked it because there was the possibility of a VPL. I’d only seen her wear it the day she’d come down to work with Trish and hadn’t really gotten a chance to look her over closely. I didn’t have to wait long for my chance. I was standing in front of her desk and slid the draft of the minutes onto it just as the front doors opened. A blast of air swept a page off and onto the floor. Without hesitation she bent over to pick it up. Voila... a perfect VPL including the crotch line. It wasn’t very big which, to me, was an indication that the panties were what I called ‘common’ meaning that they weren’t branded like a VanRaalte or Vanity Fair panty. But that didn’t make any difference. I was happy to have just that. However, wearing a pencil skirt (to just above the knees) meant little to no chance of a peek. I could only hope that her new clothes would bear fruit in the coming days.

After Joanie typed the draft of the minutes I decided to take them up to have Bert (the president) look them over. I talked with Lena, his secretary, first and she said she’d let me know when he was free. While she was on the phone she commented on how nice Joanie looked with her new clothes and the change in her hair. I was smiling as I listened to her. Then I remembered that she was the one who’d been with her to help her pick the clothes out and complimented her.  I still remember her exact words... “Our little project...” .

When I got back from lunch there were two messages for me. One was from Bert (the president) telling me to come up to his office at 2pm and the other was from someone named Jeremy. That one puzzled me. I was hesitant at first to call but I did anyway. It turned out that it was the kid who worked for James at his service garage who wanted to buy my old car. When I told him how much money I wanted all I heard was silence. I was the first to speak and then he asked if that was a firm price. I’d thought about the price range Cliffy had given me and decided that if I could get $300 it would be perfect. So, I asked what he was prepared to pay. Again, silence. Finally he said he could pay me $250 now and would I let him pay the other money off over time. In hearing those word I was reminded that now Joanie would be paying me back over time as Laura was. I got the feeling that I was becoming like the bank... loaning out money. The difference was that the bank charged interest and I didn’t.

I didn’t waste much time before saying that I’d do it. I told him I’d be up sometime after 5pm to sign the car over to him. I had all the paperwork for both cars and after clearing it with Bret decided to go over to the County Center and get the license plates changed after the doors closed at 3pm. What it all meant was that now I’d have to tell Elle about the new car that night because that was what I’d be driving. WHEW!

Bert (the president) looked over what I’d written up for the minutes and made a few changes. I did appreciate his comment that I’d done a good job with them. When I left his office Lena stopped me to tell me that Joanie had spoken to her about paying the money back and was worried about it. I told her that I’d speak to Joanie the next day.

Going to the MVA (motor vehicle administration) was always a horror. There was a smudge on the vehicle identification number for the new car and they couldn’t find their records for it. Luckily I’d made some friends in the department when I worked for the County and asked to see one of them. I was led to a small office and told to wait inside. From there I got a good look at people waiting to have their numbers called to be waited on. In the front row was a women who was busy talking with another seated in the row behind her. The one in the front row had turned sideways and in so doing had left one leg facing out and the other right up against the bench. The view was incredible. It was probably one of the best upskirt crotch peeks I’d had because her legs were at an almost 90 degree angle. I was disappointed when my friend walked in and I had to give up this beautiful view. (BTW: my friend solved the problem and I got my new plates.)

To be continued...  

No comments: