Wednesday, April 26, 2017

A LOT OF WORK... & play too (Part 158f)

A LOT OF WORK… & play too (Part 158f)

Driving home from the shop I had to go past the driveway of Bill (the principal) and Phyllis’ house. There were a whole bunch of trucks and workers in their driveway. Being a Saturday afternoon and late, at that, I was curious as to what was going on. As soon as I pulled up to my garage I headed for the opening in the hedge between the two properties. The first thing I saw was a trench between the garage and the house. Bill was in a folding chair watching the workers. I asked what was going on. He said he’d like to know as well. He did know the trench was to hold a new electric line between the two buildings. It was part of the work that the owner was doing before the new owner moved in. When he told me that I immediately remembered the times that the house had lost electric power whenever there was a storm. It was because the main power line went directly to the garage and an auxiliary line ran from there to the house. With all the trees in the back yard anytime a limb fell it would take down that line.

We walked towards the back of the property where the new shed had been built. As we did I noticed the new wash line that had replaced the one that I’d helped Bill make and put up. The new one was just three pieces of pipe stuck in the ground with a single line connecting them. That reminded me about his visitors, the German twins, and how I’d envisioned what the clothes line would look like with panties from four teenagers. I asked him how he was making out with them. I made a comment about how hard it must be with them speaking only German. That brought forth a hearty laugh and he explained that they not only could understand English but could speak it fluently. For their last four years of schooling they’d taken classes at an American army base as their mother worked there as a translator. I remember feeling somewhat foolish for asking the question. I’d based my question based upon hearing them answer but one question with a “Jaa”. It made sense that they’d have to know English if they were to attend an American college in the Fall. Dumb me! This was the most relaxed I’d seen Bill. He was always rushing from one place to another. I commented on it bringing forth another laugh… and the answer. Phyllis and the four girls were off being “tourists” and he had no one to tell him what to do. I asked about his new house and that brought forth a frown.

When I’d first heard about the property that he’d bought I knew exactly where it was located. I was a bit concerned because , even though it was considered ‘waterfront’ (on a narrow canal just off a tidal creek), that parcel was one of the very last sold in the development. The reason was that it was subject to flooding during storms. To combat that he’d had to bring in dirt to raise it up. However, when the builder went to pour the footings for the foundation the ground wasn’t stable enough to support the house so they had to put in wooden pilings and then build the house on them. That all took extra time (and $$$) which had put the completion date back. With him having to be out of the rental house by July 1 he was scrambling to find a place for his family to live. Trying to be a good neighbor I told him that if there was anything I could do to help to ask. That brought a smile back to his face and I headed back through the hedge.

I stopped as I got to it though and surveyed the clothes line. I did a quick calculation and if Phyllis did her wash but once a week that would mean there could be as many as 28 panties on the line at one time… a panty fanatic’s delight! It was quite a thought but the problem was to be able to see if it would come through. Working the hours I did it would be hard to make it work out in my favor.

Elle wanted to know where I’d gone. She’d seen my car pull up to the garage and never saw me get out of it. I told her about my visit with the principal and about how he and Phyllis were struggling to find a place to stay after the 1st of July. As soon as I told her about that it was like a light bulb went on and she told me that she’d heard that the buyer of the house was a widow with a son, but didn’t know how old either of them were. We’d both hoped it would be a married couple with young children. With that we both stated that we hoped that she would be a nice neighbor. I remember laughing about how upset Phyllis had made us when she moved in.

The rest of the weekend was spent trying to earn some ‘brownie points’ with Elle, doing little things that had been put off over the Winter. She’d been given a number of flats of flowers. Bob and Phyllis had bought some farm property with the idea of starting a nursery and were giving their friends some of their first plantings just to spread the word. I hated planting flowers but, knowing it was a long Summer and that I’d be off with the racer every Saturday into October, I rolled up my sleeves and became a gardener.

To be continued...


No comments: