Tuesday, May 22, 2018

ENDING THE YEAR... Odds & ends (Part 167e)

ENDING THE YEAR… Odds & ends (Part 167e)

Since the first part of September, Bret had been the go-between keeping me from interacting directly with Jerry at the branch. He’d been told to call Bret with whatever his needs might be and had pretty much kept to that. However, when the examiners showed up they found a major breach in policy. Since the organization chart showed him reporting to me I got a call from the examiner who’d been assigned to the branch. As I’d written right form his hiring, Jerry did things his way, policy be damned. When the call came in right before lunch I wanted to scream… at him. The one thing I remember most about the call was that when the guy told me about the situation I literally jumped out of my seat. The thing was that even though it had been Jerry who wasn’t following policy, the responsibility for seeing that it was done the right way fell on me… with no excuses. I was pissed… not only at Jerry but also at Bret. I’d call Betsy, the head teller from time to time to get her perspective of how the branch was running hoping that was enough. The call told me it wasn’t. In any case, I didn’t need that aggravation on top of the earlier ‘excitement’. In a normal workplace, I’d take the information to my superior for some sort of remedial action. But, with Jerry and the bank, it wasn’t normal. I knew what I wanted  to (and should) do but I also knew it wouldn’t matter. Jerry was above reproach as far as the Board was concerned. I was still standing behind my desk when I saw Woody headed for me. Neither Bret or Trish were at their desks and I could see she had a check in her hand that needed to be countersigned. It was the first time I’d been in a position to speak with her since I’d read the letter she’d left for me on my desk chair. There were some ’open items’ I needed to go over with her and I’ll admit I had some concerns… and had used the audit and auditors as an excuse to avoid talking with her. But, she had bank business that needed attention and I knew as upset as I was about the branch situation it would have to wait. However, I did acknowledge that I’d seen her letter and did  tell her I’d try to find time to go over it with her. Getting a smile back from her was a very good sign.

The audit team was, as requested, out of the Board room by 2:30pm. I’d been led to believe that they would leave for the day at that time… but there was a group of four who brought their materials down to the first floor and camped out at one of the work tables in the area where the bank’s bookkeeping (computer?) machine. On a daily basis Lorie used that area after 3pm to do the general proof. When she was ready to start and went to the area she was met by the group of auditors who told her they were instructed to go there since the Board room would be occupied. Lorie, hearing that, headed straight for me. Listening to her I remember shaking my head and thinking “and we’re paying for this aggravation?” The lead examiner had gone for the day and since there was no clear cut ‘leader’ there was nothing I could do but to tell Lorie she’d have to find another place to finish out the day. However, there was one of the auditors, a female, who took it upon herself to speak, individually to the others. Within minutes they were packing up and heading for the door. I was impressed.

I was hoping that I’d find good news when I stopped at the church. I’d been promised that the painting of the undercroft would be completed by the end of the day, Wednesday. When I pulled into the parking lot, Johnny’s truck wasn’t there. Walking down the stairs into the undercroft I could smell the fresh paint but when I turned on the lights only saw a small area painted. I have to say, after the day I’d experienced, I really wasn’t surprised. Since I’d been to Johnny’s house I knew where he lived and headed there. When he answered the door I saw his right arm in a sling. As it turned out he’d been painting when a step on the step ladder he was standing on, broke, knocking him off the ladder. He apologized and said he ended up going to the doctor who said he’d broken his wrist. Believe it or not, my mind immediately went to thinking that things seem to come in threes, what or who was next.

Not having the basement finished meant there was little or no chance of being able to reopen the Thrift Shoppe on Saturday. As I was leaving Johnny, again apologized. There wasn’t much for me to say. As I got into my car I wondered if the ladder had been his. In the few years I’d done work at the church I’d not seen one so that was a good thing. From Johnny’s house to mine took me past the manse where the minister lived. I figured I’d better let him as well as his wife know. The door was answered by a young man I’d met one time before. He’d lived with them as a foster child and after finishing high school joined the Army. He’d finished up his tour of duty and come to see them. Without a job, he’d been invited to stay until he found one. As a vestryman, I wasn’t happy. When the vestry hired him we’d been told it would just be his wife and two kids. Right from the time they moved in that number had been expanded by another daughter and her son. Now, with this man, there were seven people there. With the church paying for electricity, heat and septic, it added up. In any case, he told me his name was Nick and invited me in.

I’d just started to explain to the minister’s wife when Nick piped up that he could finish the painting. For some reason the woman told him she didn’t want him to do it but he insisted, ignoring her and asking what needed to be done. I was not a big fan of the woman so responded to Nick. By the time I left I’d agreed to meet him at the church after I had my supper. I stopped to pick Nick up and he seemed excited to get out of the house. He was aware of the blow-back and the result of it so when he saw the basement he was not surprised. Somehow, Johnny had cleaned up before he left. I took a look at the ladder and it was made of wood and, obviously, very old. He asked if he could stay and get started. I liked that he had initiative but without a car it was going to be a problem. We talked about it and he assured me he’d be able to get the minister to come pick him up later. In leaving, I realized he never asked about being paid. That was the best thing that had happened all day.


My goal for the next day was to have the chat with Woody that I'd been sort of putting off. I just hoped that the day would be better than the last few. The normal place to have one on one meetings was in the Board room but that was occupied. Not wanting to single Woody out in front of the others I got the idea of using the break room down in the basement but before the others started using it. I let Lorie know I had to speak to her so she could get someone to open the drive-up at 9am and we headed down the stairs. Being early the lights were off and as I opened the door I flipped the switch. What a shock! There were two of the audit team,  a male and a female together on the sofa, and they were not having a conversation!
 
To be continued…

2 comments:

oldblue said...

You left me laughing

Pantymaven said...

OB... I can laugh now but I really was shook up for a bit...