Monday, July 30, 2018

ANOTHER YEAR... More ventures (Part 168j)

ANOTHER YEAR… More adventures (Part 168j)

It was after midnight when I finally gave up trying to make sense out of the church’s finances. I could waste a whole post on this topic but I’ll spare you (and me) from the ordeal and try to limit it to the cause and ‘plan of attack’. The lady who had been keeping the ‘records’, such as they were, was a nice person and well respected in the community. She would volunteer to do just about anything and that’s how she ended up with handling the church’s money. However, she had absolutely no background for it and it was obvious to me that she didn’t know a debit from a credit. The fact that she created her own way of doing things only made the situation worse. The vestry had been derelict in their duties by not requiring a financial report at the monthly meetings allowing the lady to just tell how much money we had. That, and the fact that the ‘books’ had never been audited since the church morphed over from a ‘mission’ to a ‘parish’. The big difference in that is as a ‘mission’ the diocese (the governing body of the church) would provide monies to keep the church going and, once becoming a ‘parish’ we were on our own, financially. That had been a problem right from the start as we didn’t have enough members to pay the bills. I’d been asked to join the vestry by one of the bank Trustee’s and really had no way out of it. I’ll admit as to not doing enough research on the history since becoming a parish and doing as little as possible as a vestryman. Left on her own and with no guidance, the lady did the best that she could. I remember having about five or six old cigar boxes that held various pieces of paper (and some cash as well) as I tried to make sense of the mess. Deposits should’ve been made to the bank each and every Monday representing the monies put into the collection plate. For the previous year, fifty two weeks, there were only 40 something deposits made. And, what made that a problem was the cash from the Thrift Shoppe was supposed to be kept separate and it hadn't. Try as I did, it was hopeless. By the time I quit it was way too late to call the minister so decided to make the manse my first stop on the way to work.

It was around 8am and he wasn’t dressed but I told him that didn’t matter. Reluctantly, he let me in and led me to the kitchen. I had put all the cigar boxes into a carton and had it with me. He insisted he had to have coffee before we started and I remember looking at my watch knowing that the bank was still in the “busy period”. We were about to start when in walked his overweight and overbearing daughter. The first words out of her mouth were like bullets “Don’t you know it’s only eight o’clock?” I ignored her and tried to get to the crux of the matter by saying that I couldn’t figure out just what the woman had done and finished by saying that even with her help I wasn’t sure it was possible. The minister’s reaction was somewhat predictable as he asked how much money we actually had. I mentioned that I’d discovered various sums of cash mixed in with receipts and other slips of paper and I think it came to around $40 or so. That, and the balance in the bank, wasn’t enough to pay him and the electric bill. I was uncomfortable in telling him that, especially with his daughter there. I then told him I had to go but a suggestion would be to contact the senior warden (head of the vestry) and come up with a plan for the special meeting that night. As I got up to leave he expressed concern about how the lady who’d been doing the accounting was going to take it. I just shrugged my shoulders and walked out.

There were four more days in the busy period and then things would slow down. Walking up to the back door I intercepted Lorie, the chief clerk. She greeted me by asking just how long she would have Mae before she had to go back to the branch. I really had no answer to that because it had been ‘sold’ to her as being open ended. She’d negotiated a ‘deal’ to cover her mileage and, at least up to that point, seemed happy. I asked why she wanted to know and she came up with a sort of sheepish grin but didn’t say anything. I ‘pushed’ her on it and she told me that Mae was way under utilized at the drive-up window. I’d thought that on my own so now wanted to know her thoughts on it. Since were were technically still in the holiday season the school savings program wasn’t in operation but would return the following week. Lorie asked if I’d consider moving Alice to the drive-up and putting Mae on a lobby window. I liked Alice and she was a competent teller. The only negative comments I’d heard were the same for Lillian… “isn’t she a little young?” I’d ignored them because both of the girls had performed well. I ended up telling Lorie I’d think about it and she seemed satisfied. For me, it was just one more thing to think about.

Before leaving that evening Hobie stopped by my desk and told me I’d be filling in for him at the Mortgage committee meeting the next day. Mortgage meetings were usually pretty cut and dried. J J and his secretary, Lynn, prepared all the materials and my job as secretary was to record who made and seconded the motions to go ahead with the loan submission. It was nothing special. My only concern was with Polack Joe who for this month was on the committee. In my mind he just liked to get attention and was a royal PITA. That, and I had a distinct feeling that he didn’t like me. But, I had to do my job regardless of who attended to meeting.

I was very concerned about the vestry meeting that night. I didn’t know most of the members all that well an vowed to myself to keep as low a profile as I could manage. I ended up being late (not a good idea) and found the group in an unmoderated discussion with people talking over people. When I walked in everybody stopped and stared at me. I remember kind of shrugging my shoulders and just looking at them. I don’t remember how it was put but someone stated some sort of a “congratulations!” at me. “For what? was my response. “You are now the official treasurer!” After a couple of deep breaths I, shaking my head from side, responded “No way!”

Again, I won’t bore you with details but accepted under one condition. That was that the members of the vestry agree to pay to have an accountant go over all the financial records, such as they were, before accepting. I remember a couple of the members saying the church couldn’t afford it and my response to them being “They can’t afford not to regardless if I take the position or not” One of the same people asked where the church was going to come up with the money for that and I, mad by that point, stated “Out of your own pockets!” But I didn’t stop there going on to say that when they accepted the position on the vestry they agreed to be responsible for all and any actions taken by them. I thought that one lady was going to have an apoplectic fit right there in front of the group. The reaction was for her to stand up and resign from the vestry. Thankfully, no one else did. A motion was made and passed to hire an accountant as soon as possible. On the matter of paying the minister, the lady who’d been doing the accounting stepped up and said she’d “cover it”. In spite of my negative thoughts about her as I tried to wend my way though all the materials the night before, I thought that was very nice.

To be continued…

No comments: