Friday, January 18, 2019

LIFE GOES ON... and on... (Part 171s)

LIFE GOES ON… and on… (Part 171s)

The problem was that I couldn’t ‘buy in’ at that moment. I’d called Elle before I left the bank to meet with Dotty to tell her I’d be late. When ‘pressed’ by her I told her I’d be home by 6:30pm… or 6:45pm at the latest. A glance at my watch showed it was past 6:15pm and from the bowling alley it was at least 40 minutes. She was ‘primed’ and all set to listen to what I had to say so it was definitely a let down for her. We left it that if she’d stay late the next evening (it was a Friday and the bank was open until 6pm) I’d be able to go over my thoughts with her. I closed by saying that I hoped she had “tough skin” because some of it would probably be hard for her to hear. The look on her face turned to one of determination and she nodded her head that she understood. Getting out of the car she ducked her head back inside and made the comment that Moira had told her that I was a “caring person” and that I “could be trusted”. Flattering words for sure but I wasn’t sure how to take them in this situation.

You already know Elle wasn’t in the best of moods when I finally walked into the kitchen. There was a rehearsal for the PTA play at 7:30pm and it was now after 7pm. She really didn’t have to leave at that moment but I’m sure she did to make a point. I was left to warm up my supper, clean up and then wash the dishes. It wasn’t that big of a deal but I’d just put in over 9 hours at work and was looking for a little ‘down time’. While eating the phone rang and it was Jonesie, the town handyman who’d been doing some work at the house next door. I’d asked him a few times if he knew when the new owners of the house would be moving in. He’d told me he didn’t but would let me know if he got any information… and he had some. The project he’d been working on (building a deck on the back of the house) had been completed and he hadn’t been paid so had been calling the owner to find out when he’d get his money. The answer he got was that he’d get it when they got there. He told me it was like “pulling teeth” to pin them down when that would be… and it would be in about two weeks, Memorial Day weekend. I thanked him for the call but before I could hang up he hit me with a request. Jonesie was legendary around the school, attending as many of the athletic events he could, helping out with PTA fund raisers, supporting various extra curricular activities in and around the school and volunteering on projects when he could. He wanted me to help out backstage for the PTA play.

I know I’ve described Jonesie in any number of previous posts. A ‘character’, for sure, but also a really good guy. I think the answer I gave him was that I couldn’t because I was baby sitting what with Elle in the play. He shot right back at me that he knew my mother-in-law baby sat for us all the time… because his wife played bridge with her a couple of times a week. We bantered back and forth a bit and then I remembered Paula. She’d agreed to come over when Elle had play practice and I had to work on the race car so she was an alternative. Jonesie kept on ‘pressing’ and I finally gave in when I asked what it was I’d be doing. “Lights” was his answer and it would only be for three nights.  He said he couldn’t really explain it on the phone but as long as I didn’t have a fear of heights I’d be fine and then he hung up.

During the day on Friday I’d managed to tell Dotty to wait to come to my desk until both Bret and Trish had gone. When she sat down she had a pencil and a pad, just like I’d told her to. It’d been a fairly slow day and one that I even got to run over to the stock broker’s office to see Lynda and Ruthe who was back to work. I hardly recognized her as she’d lost weight that she really couldn't afford to lose. It was kind of awkward. I’d talked with her on the phone once and at that time she sort of thanked me being there right after her husband had beaten her. I’d thought about it a lot right after that day and wondered if she really ever saw me there. But it didn’t really matter now because she was back to work and, other than the weight loss, you wouldn’t see any evidence of the beating. But, that was on the outside. Always a bit ‘off-putting’, she almost seemed withdrawn as I tried to tell her how good it was to see her again.

Dotty was eager to get started. I asked her to let me have my say before asking any questions or commenting. That brought a frown to her face at which time I told her we didn’t have to go through with it and that I understood that hearing some of what I would say might be hard for her to grasp. I remember her taking a deep breath and looking down. I waited for a few seconds before beginning. I have detailed notes but I’ll spare you most of it, concentrating on the main points. I told her that the first thing she needed to do was get new clothes. I told her the way she’d been coming to work was intimidating the others. I told her she looked like she was going to work on Wall Street. Observing her, she was straining to say something and I remember putting my finger up to my lips to stop her. My suggestion was to just look around at the others and to “dress down” picking out comfortable clothes that still exhibited somewhat of a “professional” look. I also told her that high heels were totally out of place. That was the easy part. When I got into attitude I knew I was going to get ‘push-back’ but, again, reminded her not to speak. Talking about clothes got only a slight push forward on her chair. When I started in on how she was looked at by the others I thought she was going to come right off the seat. I told her the way she was being perceived was the main problem. Her manner of speaking was that of someone who thought themselves to be better than others… like she was talking down to them. Knowing that Hobie had discussed the fact that none of the women had attended, let alone graduated, from college and that, basically, was a problem for them in dealing with her. But, she seemed to be adding to that by the way she dealt with them.

The one thing I remember about this incident was that the look on her face never changed. The furrows on her brow were as deep as I’d ever (consciously) observed on a person. I talked for at least fifteen minutes straight. I reminded her that none of what I told her was in the form of an order but was in response to our conversation. When I finished I tried to ease the transition to having her talk by asking if she wanted to take the weekend to think about what I’d said, hinting strongly that it might be a good idea. She started to say something a couple of times but ended up agreeing that’s what she’d do… and asking if she could come in early Monday morning to meet with me. When she stood up the sorrows were gone and there was a hint of relief on her face. As she walked away from my desk I had the feeling that she’d give serious consideration to my comments. I hoped she would.

To be continued…

No comments: