Monday, January 07, 2019

LIFE GOES ON... andon... (Part 171n)

LIFE GOES ON… and on… (Part 170n)

Because Jerry and I didn’t see ‘eye to eye’ on just about anything, Hobie said he’d be the one to explain what was taking place at the branch. His ‘take’ on the reaction of the staff there was that of indifference… which surprised me… but made sense when I thought about it. As soon as he returned to the main office I was on the phone to Betsy as she’d been the one to relay any of Jerry’s transgressions to me. As I stated earlier, I’d been disappointed that she didn’t say anything to me about my part in her promotion and raise so I was a little concerned as to what she’d say when I called to get her ‘read’ on how the others had taken the news. Her answer of “I’m sure we’ll get it all worked out…” was a bit disconcerting. Being that everything that had transpired right up to the action being taken seemed positive, it was a surprise. But, it was done and we’d all have to see how it worked itself out. In a way I felt like an ‘outsider’ even though I’d originated the whole concept.

Trish was still a bit upset that I hadn’t shared much of the background the led up to the changes. When I asked to see the file of job applications to replace Mae she was almost ’short’ with me by saying there wasn’t much I’d be interested in. I told her I wanted to see it anyway. She was pretty much ‘right on the money’ with no one with teller or even money handling experience. I hated the thought of running a want ad because we’d have to cull though a lot of people who, experience had told me, hadn’t really read the ad to begin with. I can not tell you what made me run through them a second time but when I did I saw one that made me want to interview her regardless of the lack of experience. It was for a forty something woman who hadn’t worked since she was in high school. She had a college degree but it seemed that she’d never made use of it. I asked Trish if she remembered ever talking to her and she did. Then I asked what it was that made her remember the woman. Now, you’ve read here that right from the time I started at the bank I thought Trish was very bright and someone who should’ve had the opportunity to go to college. Since she didn’t, she seemed to have a ‘chip on her shoulder’ when it came to dealing with women who had. So, I was ready for her answer… the woman had gone to college, gotten a degree and then “wasted’ it by getting married.

I will have to admit I was somewhat taken aback when she showed up for the interview. A very attractive woman, about 5’5” tall with blonde hair… and dressed to ‘the hilt’. By that I mean she looked like she was going to work in the city. Really fine clothes stand out and hers fit her like they’d been made for her. As soon as she opened her mouth I couldn’t help wonder what had ever led her to file an application with the bank. She was polite and well spoken, almost to a fault, especially in a rural town with little to no culture. I was almost afraid to ask just why she’d done it. I don’t remember the actual question I asked but I do remember her two word answer… “Marital difficulties…” and then waving her hand across the front of her face indicating that would be the end of that discussion. She confirmed that she’d never worked at all but had been an accounting major in college. Hearing that I was afraid to tell her the only position I had was as a teller. He immediate response to that was “You do have training, don’t you?”. When I said we did she asked if all the tellers we had out on the line had had previous experience before starting. That pretty much stopped anything more I had to ask. With her sitting right there at my desk I looked at her address on the application and it was in a town where some of the areas richest people lived. I’d not paid any attention to that information on it, scanning the other things as being more important. It took a minute or so for me to get ‘back on track’  and then I asked, point blank, if she were to be hired and trained how long would it be until she got bored and left. I thought that would put an end to the interview. But, when she heard it she moved forward in her chair and it was like her eyes were on fire when she said “I’ll become your best damned teller, guaranteed!”. She’d thrown down a challenge and I took it. We settled on the first Monday in May for her to start. The one concession I did make was to her starting pay. She argued that her college degree had to count for something so I  offered her the equivalent of two annual pay raises. She walked away happy but Trish was anything but happy when I told her.

One of the things I’d not written about because it didn’t directly involve me was that Pat (the PTA lady) had gotten Elle involved in being in the first ever PTA play. Each year the PTA sponsored a fund raising affair and this year it was to be a play. Phyllis, the principal’s wife (and former neighbor) had written and was directing it. Because of the ‘coolness’ between Phyllis and Elle from back when they had moved, the two had had little to do with each other during the Summer and Fall. However, Phyllis had made an ovature towards Elle to ease the tension. It had also seemed that Elle was being ignored when it came to substituting at the school in town and she felt it would help her situation. So, when asked to participate in the play she gave a somewhat reluctant “Yes..”. The play was scheduled for the weekend before Memorial Day so being the end of April it was time for rehearsals to start… and that would involve me if for no other reason than babysitting. The timing wasn’t the greatest as the racing season was about to begin. Experience had shown there were going to be nights we’d have to work on the car that weren’t scheduled and I’d be expected to show up at the garage. Once Elle committed to something it was a total commitment so we’d have to come up with a possible baby sitter for those nights. Just another in a never ending list of things to do.

My trip to the city for the monthly banking associations meeting of the Personnel Management Committee proved to be very beneficial to me. I knew my idea for creating a program for member banks to train their training people was going to be on the agenda so was excited about it. However, the primary item for discussion turned out to be the upcoming School of Saving Banking scheduled for September. They were having trouble with finding qualified speakers/presenters for the program who were available. A number of key people were already committed for the week that had been reserved at the facility they were to hold classes. The net result was a discussion and decision to try and rearrange the date for some time in March. It was the consensus of the committee that rather than to put on a “half-assed” program, it would be best to take the time to make it right. My friend Dan was available (and willing) to go to the facility to do the negotiations. At the break he approached me and asked if I’d like to go with him. The facilities were owned and maintained by Columbia University and their business offices were only minutes away. I was surprised… and honored, to be asked… so said “yes” even though it would create a problem as far as getting home was concerned.

To be continued…

No comments: