Thursday, January 24, 2019

LIFE GOES ON... and on... (Part 171v)

LIFE GOES ON… and on… (Part 171v)

I was awake early on Monday morning, even before Elle’s alarm went off. My thoughts were on Dotty and, after having had time to consider my ‘suggestions’ to her on Friday, how she’d respond to them. At breakfast Elle even commented on the fact that I seemed “distant”. It didn’t take long to find out Dotty’s decision. I arrived around 8:30am and talked with Mike, the messenger/custodian while waiting for her. As she walked up to the door I had to do a bit of a ‘double take’ to make sure it was her. She’d completely redone her hair. It was no longer ‘perfect’ like after a permanent wave, but it looked more like natural hair would look. The next thing was the absence of make-up on her face. No rouge or eye liner and just a very pale lipstick in place of the red that she’d worn since starting there. Some of the younger women didn’t even wear lipstick, Cara being one of them. She was wearing a light weight jacket that only went to her waist so it showed she had on a floral cotton skirt that came to just above her knees. Looking down at her feet, she was wearing a pair of grey leather ‘flats’ in place of the high heels she’d worn right from the time I first interviewed her. To say that she’d ‘dressed down’ is putting it mildly, especially from the type clothes she’d been wearing. I was waiting to see the blouse she’d chosen to go with the flowered skirt so followed her to the coat room. Right in line with the colors in the skirt, it was a pale blue cap sleeved top and ended just below the waist band of her skirt. Seeing me there she did a bit of a curtsey and smiled. Seeing her like that told me we didn’t really need to have a chat and that she'd 'bought in' to what I'd suggested. However, I did remind her about perceived attitudes and reminded her to not be so “hard’ when asking questions or “defensive” when giving answers. I told her that she would have to work on “softening” up a bit but encouraged her by telling her that it was now up to her to ‘sell’ the others that she was a “nice person” and could work well with them. I walked away with my fingers crossed.

This was the day that Dotty got her own cash drawer. Laura, the assistant to the auditor had to be present as she counted the cash in the drawer. I made a point of observing how the two of them interacted with each other. There was at least a 25 year difference in their ages and I knew Laura was younger than Dottie’s two sons. After the money was counted I saw them talking and saw Laura smiling as they did… a good sign. As the day progressed I got word that two dinner meetings that I’d been scheduled for that week had, much to my great pleasure, been cancelled. That meant I’d be home for supper both nights and I might be able to help with the flower plantings at the church. When Bret was leaving he made a comment on how Dotty looked more “at ease”. I told him I agreed but didn’t say anything about my involvement in her transformation. I also made it a point not to talk with her during the day figuring I’d wait until the next morning to get her feelings on how she felt it had gone for her.

Monday night was the usual night for unloading the race car. The other guys were really ‘hyped-up” about the proposed trip to Connecticut on Friday. I wasn’t. Cliffy had raced at the track a couple of times when his father owned the car and hadn’t done well. As I had previously written, I felt we should take our winnings and limit our focus on our home track where we knew we were somewhat competitive. Some of the best drivers in the Northeast raced up there on a regular basis and had their cars set up for it. There was another reason for not wanting to go. I’d let Jonesie talk me into doing the “lights” for the PTA play at the school. Thursday was the dress rehearsal and the first time to work with the lights and Friday was the opening. I hadn’t yet told Cliffy and the guys about my conflict. I’ll admit I was “chicken” to do it. I’d started to formulate a couple of stories why I wouldn’t be going but wasn’t ready to break the news just yet. To race at the Connecticut track we had to change a bunch of things on the car because it was a much larger track… rear end gears and springs to name a couple. Cliffy had made some phone calls about what we needed for tires. A couple of other teams told him we should be able to get by with the tires we’d bought for the championship race back in October. That made me a bit happier, not having to spend money on more new tires. By the time we left that night we had most of the preparation done but Cliffy wanted us back on Wednesday night. That was a night that Paula was coming to babysit as she would on Friday as well.

The first thing on my schedule for Tuesday was to speak to Dotty. She admitted that the hardest part of her transition was in watching what and how she said things. She told me that Cara had told her she liked her “new look”, especially her hair. To me, that was progress. When I called the ‘other Elle’ about the plantings for the church she said she could do it that night. At supper, when I told my Elle she said she wanted to go too. It really wasn’t jealousy. She wanted to see what we were doing. The church yard had been bare since we’d moved back to town and as a “flower lover” she was excited about the possibilities. My only thought was that should I be lucky enough to get a few DP’s (down pants) or VPL’s I’d have to be careful about where my Elle might be. As it turned out I wasn’t to get either. The ‘other Elle’ wore a pair of “Farmer Johns” with the bib front and buttons on both sides. They’d belonged to her father so were a bit large on her… which was to my benefit. Over the hour we were there I spent about twenty minutes working side by side with her and I got far more ‘looks’ down the sides of those coveralls than I would’ve gotten from a DP. At one time, for about a minute, I had an unobstructed view of her white panties down her hip about four inches and was almost 100% sure they were Evette panties from the waist elastic. I was able to avoid Elle catching me because she decided there should be flowers around the sign post out by the sidewalk and was busy planting some there. When we were done we were pretty proud of how the place looked. I’d gotten a ‘thrill’ without getting caught so it had been a very good night.

Wednesday night at the shop it was more ’talk’ than work that got done. I still hadn’t mentioned my conflict on Friday night. Robob had showed up and said he’d be going so there’d still be five guys so didn’t feel so bad… but I didn’t have the nerve to tell them. The ‘plan’, at least as we walked out the door to go home, was to leave the garage at 1pm Friday.

My next project was to show up at the school around 6:30pm Thursday night to be ‘introduced to my new job as a “lighting technician" according to Jonesie. I wasn’t looking forward to it for a number of reasons not having anything to do with the race car. The brother of one of the partners in the ad agency the bank used was involved in the “Broadway scene” in the city and had arranged for the use of the portable spot lights we’d be using. He’s the one who told me I’d be “cooked” by the time the night was over as they lights put out a tremendous amount of heat. When I heard that I wanted to “cook” Jonesie for roping me into this deal.

To be continued….

No comments: