Friday, March 29, 2019

MAKING PROGRESS... of sorts (Part 172aa)

MAKING PROGRESS… of sorts (Part 172aa)

It was a mish-mash of a meal but everyone got fed. The big ‘winner’ was Elle's strawberry pie with not a bit of it left over. The kids, all of them, ate sitting on the lawn which they thought was funny but they enjoyed the freedom of it. The adults kind of ‘tip toed’ around anything of importance which was OK with one exception as I wondered where Mattie and Junior’s father was since he was the one who had bought the house. I wanted to ask but had a feeling that it wouldn’t go over well with everybody there. I decided to put the question off until Junior and I were better acquainted and it was just the two of us. We all decided that it was cooling off and should start picking things up. Mattie headed over to where the kids were and proceeded to start picking up the paper plates and cups they’d been using. Short skirts have always drawn my attention and my eyes had kept a close watch on her all evening but with little to show for it… until then. The first time she bent over I remember wishing I could get lower in my folding chair. My guess is that I was within an inch of seeing what I longed to see… but didn’t. I remained seated drawing a rebuke from Elle for not helping. Reluctantly, I started to get up and when I did the pocket on my shorts hooked the arm rest of the folding chair I was in causing me to lose my balance. I still had a glass in my hand when I fell and as I did it flew out of my hand. It headed in the direction of where the kids had been eating and I watched it flying through the air hoping that it wouldn’t hit any of them. Then I saw Mattie try to duck away from it… and trip over one of the kids. By then I was up on my knees, almost in a crawling position… and looking right at Mattie's pantie crotch. It was for probably no more than a few seconds. But why it stands out in my mind so vividly is that it was the widest crotch I’d ever seen. The panties were white and I thought they were full briefs. As the two of us struggled to get up I think we were both embarrassed. If Elle had seen it happen I know I would’ve heard about it but nothing was said. The end result was a fervent desire to find out about those panties. With the Summer just beginning I had a good feeling about my chances.

Back at home Elle asked me to follow up on getting the kids washed up and to bed as she was exhausted. She headed straight for bed and it wasn’t even fully dark out. I was concerned because her tiredness seemed to be getting worse day by day but she insisted she would be fine in the morning. It was way too early for me to go to sleep so I retreated to the den and my recliner to watch TV. I’d just got settled when the phone rang. Not wanting it to disturb Elle I rushed to pick it up and found “Big B” on the line. My first question was to ask where he was thinking he had a problem. Once we got past that he wanted to know what was going on with the cylinder heads. I didn’t know just what he meant and innocently asked what he was referring to. I listened to him describe what, at best, had been a bizarre scene. The destination he was directed to go to was a loading dock for a furniture company. The guy he met didn’t have the heads but gave him directions to another place and was told to stay in his car until a guy in a green Chevy Camaro drove into the parking lot. Then he was to get out and open the trunk of his car and get back in. “B” said he waited about 20 minutes before he saw the green car and then did what he had been told to do. He went on that in just a few minutes he felt the back of his car go down and heard something  go ‘thud’ in the trunk followed by another. Then the trunk lid was slammed shut. He said he tried to see what the guy looked like but he was already getting in his car. “B” said he took a look in his trunk and saw two cylinder heads wrapped in plastic. There was nothing at that point for him to do except head for home. While he was telling me this I was thinking back to the conversation I’d overheard Robob  having with his friend up in Buffalo and how I’d questioned (to myself) why money hadn’t been discussed. Now, this added to the mystery. “B” did say he’d delivered the heads to Cliffy at his house and he’d looked them over and found nothing wrong with them. He also said Cliffy knew nothing about the money arrangements either. I told ”B” that I hoped if it turned out to be as “fishy” as it sounded that he wouldn’t be implicated. All I heard before he hung up was a “Me too!”. I returned to my recliner and never paid any attention to the TV. Now I had another thing to be concerned about. It was still bothering me when I finally went upstairs to bed.

At the bank on Monday I was looking forward to a couple of easy days as far as lobby traffic was concerned. The “busy period” started on Thursday and Bret, Trish and Lorie assured me they were prepared for the ‘crush’ of customers that would come in just to get the interest on their accounts posted to their passbooks. I’d not had a chance to do anything before Joanie told me that one of the Trustees was on the phone for me. As soon as I heard the sound of his voice I knew who it was… the Trustee who wanted the sign painted. When he’d had the wood dropped off there was a note attached that basically spelled out what he wanted on it. But, and the ‘but’ was rearing it’s ugly head in the form of the phone call, there was no date for completion on it. When I heard him say he needed it by Wednesday it was like blow to the head with a 2x4. If I were a professional sign painter it would take me about 3 hours to complete it. But, I only dabbled in it and it took me a LONG time to crank out a finished product. I was so upset I don’t know what I said to him (if anything) and sat there wondering what I was going to do. Hobie, my immediate boss, walked by and saw me just staring into space so stopped and asked what was on my mind. I started to slough him off but after working with me for almost four years he knew me well enough to almost order me to “spill it”. Reluctantly, I gave him the details. Almost immediately he had the solution… take the next day off as a sick day. I’d never taken a sick day since I was hired and had over three weeks time accumulated. To that suggestion he told me to take off early that afternoon. I have to admit that as he walked away I was finally able to breath normally again.

I let Trish and Bret know I was leaving early and wouldn’t be in the next day just telling them it was a personal matter. I stayed until 3pm when the doors closed to the public. I’d called Cliffy around noon time and he said he was working on preparing the heads. The valve seats had to be reground for the valves we were using and he also had to put the rocker arm studs in as well. I told him I had a project due for work (which was partially true) and told him if I wasn’t needed that night I’d be there the following one. When he told me they had to get special head gaskets and they wouldn’t be there until Wednesday I knew I was home free. He added that he hoped we’d be able to start the motor on Thursday and we’d go racing Saturday. It was good new… at last.

To be continued…

No comments: